SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Strange ABC fluid leak from reservoir dipstick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
Strange ABC fluid leak from reservoir dipstick

Hey ya!The other day, my R230 was on the lift for a tyre change job. They guys lifted it with the engine running, and all of a sudden ABC fluid started to leak under pressure through the ABC reservoir level dipstick. It leaked approx 200ml. and then stopped.

When the car was back on the ground, there were no ABC warnings and the car was keeping its height with no problem. It was rising and lowering normally. I took it to the stealer for a diagnosis.

What are your thoughts regarding this? An accumulator blew, bad valvebox seals... or, on the other hand, is this normal?

Many thanks!
Old 04-06-2024, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Probably an accumulator. Check level on the dipstick running vs. non-running. The difference should be approximately the distance between the two marks. If it doesn't go down at all when running, you probably have two bad accumulators, half of the drop it should have is probably one bad one. The dealer should run a pressure drop on shutdown test, which will tell them the storage capacity of the accumulators. Don't be shocked if you get an estimate in the $10k range. Just ignore it, pay the diagnostic charge, and take it to an independent for repairs.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:09 PM

SL65
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
Probably an accumulator. Check level on the dipstick running vs. non-running. The difference should be approximately the distance between the two marks. If it doesn't go down at all when running, you probably have two bad accumulators, half of the drop it should have is probably one bad one. The dealer should run a pressure drop on shutdown test, which will tell them the storage capacity of the accumulators. Don't be shocked if you get an estimate in the $10k range. Just ignore it, pay the diagnostic charge, and take it to an independent for repairs.
Thanks a lot for getting back! Why would they try to charge that much? Even if all 4 accumulators were to be replaced at 200 bucks each, shouldn't the bill be over 2K? What else would they try to include in the bill?
Old 04-06-2024, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Well, the short answer is that that tend to be thieves. Even if they just replace the 4 accumulators, list price is $1040 for the four, fluid is $100/liter, and about $50 for the filter. They will usually mark up parts they use at least 25%, so if we say 2 liters of fluid, you are looking at something around $1750 for parts. With diagnostic and rodeo time, you are probably at least 6 hours @ around $250, so lets say $1500 labor. With some shop fees thrown in, probably at least $3500. If they decide that a strut is bad add $2k/strut and figure $4-5k/each if they replace valve blocks. Doesn't take long to get to $10-15k. You will have to look pretty hard on this forum to find someone who would recommend taking it to the dealer.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:20 PM

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
Dealerships love to find a long list of things the car needs that will cost you a ton of money that in reality it doesn't need at all. I wouldn't even trust them to be alone with my car for a minute, having learned this the hard way. The reason they are there is to take all of your money that they can! They are such crooks that they stole the floor mat set out of my car! All four mats, front and rear. It's important to have an indy shop that will work on your car and you need to know that they are honest. That goes for any car, but even more so for an R230. That said, Never lift the car with the engine running. Also learned the hard way, with a car equipped with Airmatic. My "great" ASE certified "Master" whose services I don't use any more, lifted the car with the motor running and immediately a valve for the Airmatic was needing replacement. I would not lift a car with the engine on, whether it has Airmatic or ABC. I think when the transmission is being serviced, they have it in the air with it running, but maybe all four wheels up in the air makes a difference? I would just refrain from having the engine running when lifting the car. And have trans serviced professionally by a good indy shop when that need arises. If you happen to have a failed accumulator, normal driving should eventually get you the red ABC drive carefully warning. If the car is performing fine with no anomalies, and you aren't getting any warnings, you've dodged a bullet. Replacement accumulators and pulsation dampener can be bought from FCPeuro and those will have a lifetime free replacement warranty.

Last edited by tonylinc; 04-06-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:15 PM

SL65
Thats quite interesting about lifting these cars with the engine running. I was wondering if there is anything at all written on the manuals?

I didn't try to drive the car after it hapenned, but I did rise the suspension a couple of times and did not get any warning. Will see what the stealer comes with. But even if they tell me its all fine I am seriously considering replacing all 4 or at least 2 accumulators. The car is very low mileage, under 25K, but already 20 yo. System was flushed just a couple of months ago.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:36 PM

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Antonov
Thats quite interesting about lifting these cars with the engine running. I was wondering if there is anything at all written on the manuals?
A lift for a tire change lifts at the body so will allow all 4 wheels to extend to full travel. Perhaps all 4 struts going to full travel at the same time has something to do with it.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:59 PM

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
You can safely raise the car from the chassis, with the struts fully extended, with the engine running. Not sure about Airmatic equipped cars, but with ABC, no issue. Did you hear a bang? That's one of the accumulators rupturing. Oil gushing out the reservoir is a classic sign of blown accumulator(s), as the exiting gas burps out a gulp of fluid, but you won't get any error message, just the red 'ABC drive carefully' if you corner too hard with blown gas cells.