SL/R230: 2006 Sl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by blueSL
I think it's unlikely, it's only new cars which have to have the new pedestrian protection; sheet metal changes are very expensive and I can't think of a Mercedes in the recent past where such radical changes have been made.
Actually, the text of the regulations state that new cars sold AS OF OCT 01 2005 must prove they meet the regulations. "New", meaning not used; not "new" meaning newly designed. It is possible, but unlikely, the current R230 nose will meet the regulations. It is based on crash testing. (If you would like the text to the regulation, let me know, I think I have the link somewhere.)

A stricter set of regulations is set for 2010, which means Mercedes is already planning for those new models that will be released in the next few years. The R230 will be at the end of its lifecycle then, so a new model will be released before these regulations go into effect.

-s-
Old 01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
You're wrong, actually. The new regulations do indeed apply from 1 October 2005 but only to new designs or re-designed cars, not to new cars made to existing designs. That applies in 2012 so all new cars will have to meet the regulations from this date.

The issue is that extensive changes to an existing design will count as a re-design and therefore fall into the net of the regulations from 1 October. That's why I think the existing SL design will remain until the next generation comes along.

However, the new breed of European designs which supposedly meet the regulations is not encouraging from an aesthetic point of view. Rear and mid-engined cars have an advantage because the fronts can be made pedestrian-friendly without fear of your unfortunate pedestrian impacting your supercharged V8.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
You're wrong, actually. The new regulations do indeed apply from 1 October 2005 but only to new designs or re-designed cars, not to new cars made to existing designs. That applies in 2012 so all new cars will have to meet the regulations from this date.

The issue is that extensive changes to an existing design will count as a re-design and therefore fall into the net of the regulations from 1 October. That's why I think the existing SL design will remain until the next generation comes along.

However, the new breed of European designs which supposedly meet the regulations is not encouraging from an aesthetic point of view. Rear and mid-engined cars have an advantage because the fronts can be made pedestrian-friendly without fear of your unfortunate pedestrian impacting your supercharged V8.
How can it be pedestrian friendly if you hit them at 50 miles an hour? Would it be easier to acquire pedestrians to cross at cross walks and at lights. In my city they give you a ticket for jay walking.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree, it's to protect the kid chasing a football and running out into the road from behind a parked car in residential areas where actually the children should be taught road safety.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
I agree, it's to protect the kid chasing a football and running out into the road from behind a parked car in residential areas where actually the children should be taught road safety.
I remember I got my but whip real good when I ran into the street without looking and was taught never to go between cars.

It is a shame that some folks are not being responsible about their kids and want to impose laws on us for their lack of responsibility.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 01-13-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Supply and demand. With so many lawyers in America...
And the liberals in EU....
Old 01-13-2005, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus

I stand corrected then. However, as it pertains to the SL, this is all conjecture. We'll have to see in time how it all pans out.

(Examples of major changes to sheetmetal relatively late in a Mercedes' lifecycle: W124 E-class, 1993-1994 US model years; W210, 2000-2002 US model years.)

-s-

p.s. you might learn from this that it's OK to be wrong and admit it, instead of getting huffy... oh never mind.