SL/R230: Delivery Timeframe, Resale Value, vs. CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Delivery Timeframe, Resale Value, vs. CLK500

Hello,

We currently have an E320 and are considering running through the business (to benefit from a tax writeoff) a lease on a 2005 SL500.

Would someone mind telling me what the production and delivery timeframe should be for a well-equipped SL500?

Also, our lease company allows us to choose our own resale value granted we take responsibility for it by taking the gain or loss at the end of the lease. If the MSRP of the vehicle is about $97,000 and we plan to put 30,000 miles on the vehicle over two years, what would you set as a conservative resale value?

Finally, the other vehicle in the consideration set is a 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet. I know the SL500 is an amazing vehicle, an automotive milestone infact, but does anyone know why a vehicle with the same engine and two less seats commands a $30,000 premium over the CLK500?

Thank you for your help!

Chris
Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Thoughts anyone? Thank you very much to anyone who responds!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I could not answer your question properlly because in PR we have taxes over all the cars that come to the island and also we have to pay for the siping via ship of all the cars, so here all the cars are moooore expensive that in the continental state. Thats chenge in our reliability. But for my personal experince it's awesome to have one Sl so do it and forget about the resale value or any other thing.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by cbh2
Hello,

We currently have an E320 and are considering running through the business (to benefit from a tax writeoff) a lease on a 2005 SL500.

Would someone mind telling me what the production and delivery timeframe should be for a well-equipped SL500?

Also, our lease company allows us to choose our own resale value granted we take responsibility for it by taking the gain or loss at the end of the lease. If the MSRP of the vehicle is about $97,000 and we plan to put 30,000 miles on the vehicle over two years, what would you set as a conservative resale value?

Finally, the other vehicle in the consideration set is a 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet. I know the SL500 is an amazing vehicle, an automotive milestone infact, but does anyone know why a vehicle with the same engine and two less seats commands a $30,000 premium over the CLK500?

Thank you for your help!

Chris
If you want a new SL built to your specifications, I bet it will take at least 6 months if not a year for it to be delivered. If you are happy with the ones on the showroom floor, I bet you could have one in short order.

A good way to get a sense of the resale value for your car after 2 years is to go to mbusa.com and do a search for 2 year old SLs with about 30K miles on the clock. The prices you see are what the dealers will sell you the car for today. They probably would buy the car from you for several thousand dollars less (say $6,000-$8,000) to insure that they can still make a healthy margin on the car when they re-sell it. If you sold the car privately, it would probably command less than the certified pre-owned price, but more that what the dealer would buy it back for.

But things could change in 2 years. In 2007, SLs will be more common than they are today, so prices could soften a bit. Countering this however is the weakening dollar which implies that MB will have to keep raising the price of the new model, making a used one more attractive to the price-conscious buyer.

The CLK is a great-looking car, and probably more functional than the SL, but they are really two completely different cars. The S500 and the ML500 both share the same engine yet have a similar price difference. Would you ask why those two are priced so differently? Probably not. Once again, this is a question that can be answered at mbusa.com; use the compare vehicle feature and you will learn all about the differences between the SL and CLK.

Last edited by JackStraw; 01-19-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by JackStraw
If you want a new SL built to your specifications, I bet it will take at least 6 months if not a year for it to be delivered. If you are happy with the ones on the showroom floor, I bet you could have one in short order.

A good way to get a sense of the resale value for your car after 2 years is to go to mbusa.com and do a search for 2 year old SLs with about 30K miles on the clock. The prices you see are what the dealers will sell you the car for today. They probably would buy the car from you for several thousand dollars less (say $6,000-$8,000) to insure that they can still make a healthy margin on the car when they re-sell it. If you sold the car privately, it would probably command less than the certified pre-owned price, but more that what the dealer would buy it back for.

But things could change in 2 years. In 2007, SLs will be more common than they are today, so prices could soften a bit. Countering this however is the weakening dollar which implies that MB will have to keep raising the price of the new model, making a used one more attractive to the price-conscious buyer.

The CLK is a great-looking car, and probably more functional than the SL, but they are really two completely different cars. The S500 and the ML500 both share the same engine yet have a similar price difference. Would you ask why those two are priced so differently? Probably not. Once again, this is a question that can be answered at mbusa.com; use the compare vehicle feature and you will learn all about the differences between the SL and CLK.
Jack, why do you say it will take 6 months to a year for a new one? Mine took 4 months.

Alot depends on the area and the allocations but I don't think it would ever take more than 6 months for an SL500. A SL600 or SL65, I can understand but I think SL500 slots are readily available.

Given all of that, I bet you could find one the way you want it. Dealers can trade and I agree with your advise, go out and get that darn car.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
You may be right, just me being conservative I suppose. But given your experience, it would seem that 4 months would be the quickest, no?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
As much as I hate taxes, I just cannot believe the government is allowing a 100K 2 seater to be a tax write off. On the other hand, my friend is writing his skybox off.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 01-19-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Tax laws are very corrupt.
I'm not saying loop holes are bad though
Old 01-19-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by JackStraw
You may be right, just me being conservative I suppose. But given your experience, it would seem that 4 months would be the quickest, no?
Yes, no earlier than 4 months. If you are on the east coast you might cut off 15 days.

You could find production slots that would take less time to deliver but they would be past their time period to make changes.

Like you said, for a SL500, there has to be one around.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM

SL500 '05
I agree the SL is completely different to all other models.
For instance my car failed its PDI because of a split in a seat air pipe.
The new SLK was just emerging and I was given a 350 for a week. The sell price was 50K sterling and although it turned heads and was faster than the SL500, it had an immediate cheap feel.
During the week I grew to really appreciate the car had its own market, the handling was exceptional the engine power to weight ration was awesome, 0-60 in just over 5 secs, although it seemed quicker.
A week passed and time to hand back. I got back in the SL..wow! What a car. The CLK also has its market and I'm sure CLK owners will disagree, but the SL is head and shoulders above the abovementioned models and well worth the extra 30K.
But yes with respect to practicality the SL doesn't score well.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Jack, why do you say it will take 6 months to a year for a new one? Mine took 4 months.

Alot depends on the area and the allocations but I don't think it would ever take more than 6 months for an SL500. A SL600 or SL65, I can understand but I think SL500 slots are readily available.

Given all of that, I bet you could find one the way you want it. Dealers can trade and I agree with your advise, go out and get that darn car.

I waited 9 months for my CLK...it was crazy!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 AM

My plane is a tax write off for my corporation .. don't even ask how much. So is everything related to it .. hanger, maintenance, etc.

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
As much as I hate taxes, I just cannot believe the government is allowing a 100K 2 seater to be a tax write off. On the other hand, my friend is writing his skybox off.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Choices

Having driven both the current model SL500 and the SLK350 I have to agree they are unique in their own right. Not sure I can say I like one better than the other though apart from the added luggage space that the SL offers. As to the CLK cabriolet, once Mercedes gets the new 350 engine shoehorned in and the promised styling updates are added (probably beginning with August or September production) it may be the ultimate compromise since there are a lot of times those two extra seats would be nice to have. NOw, my dream convertible would be the CLK350 CAbriolet with 4-Matic and a folding hardtop like the SL and SLK share.

Last edited by northbenz; 02-08-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:16 AM

08 CL600 Black
My gripe with the CLK is that it only has 1 cupholder! That, in itself, steered me away from the car. When I first went to the dealer, I was bent on getting a CLK500. But, when I drove it and saw that there was only that 1 cupholder and not enough storage space inside, I changed my mind and went a step up to the SL.

I do agree that both have different markets. If you have kids or constantly ferry people around but want a sporty car, you will most likely go for a CLK. But, for those with other cars (e.g. suv, van, etc.), I think the SL would be a good fit. Of course, that's assuming you also have the cash to pony up for an SL.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I hate to say this, but if you are looking for a CLK buy a Lexus. You will get more cup holders and place for your wife's purse.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by jettie1767
My gripe with the CLK is that it only has 1 cupholder! That, in itself, steered me away from the car. When I first went to the dealer, I was bent on getting a CLK500. But, when I drove it and saw that there was only that 1 cupholder and not enough storage space inside, I changed my mind and went a step up to the SL.

I do agree that both have different markets. If you have kids or constantly ferry people around but want a sporty car, you will most likely go for a CLK. But, for those with other cars (e.g. suv, van, etc.), I think the SL would be a good fit. Of course, that's assuming you also have the cash to pony up for an SL.
You went from a CLK to a SL because of a cup holder! I was planning on placing an order for the SL 500 soon, but I'm not sure I like the light bulbs used for the car....I think I'll go ahead and get the SC430 instead. Actually I wish one had the option to hide the DVD screen.....ah well...keeps the dust off when not in use.

I wouldn't say the CLK could hold a candle to the SL, but that's a rather unfair comparison don't you think?