SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Does Distronic mean there's no need to use brake pedal when in traffic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Does Distronic mean there's no need to use brake pedal when in traffic?

Hi,
Have read a bit about distronic, but some guys only seem to use it during fog. What about during traffic at low speeds? Does it mean that the car can be controlled with just the one pedal (accel) in slow conditions? If so, it would help my injured right knee so please shout if you know the answer? I'm sure I've read that the new SL will apply the brakes automatically in slow speeds, when the right foot is removed from the accelerator. Is this true as well?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
John C.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
From what I understand it will apply up to 20% braking force through some calculated degree of speed. So it wont act as a replacement for your own braking actions, no.

--Dan
Old 06-04-2002, 09:55 PM

The DTR is supposed to be used with cruise control and it is NOT suppose to use during conditions of fog and heavy rain, snow or sleet (such weather conditions will block/affect the radar sensor signal). It is not to be used as an "automatic brake" system.

Without combine using cruise control, DTR just warn you when the cars' distance get closer than the preset distance limit but won't act upon it (i.e.: brake).

-- mb_newbie
Old 06-05-2002, 03:33 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Dis on distronic

I agree with Mark. I have only talked with one driver who had experience using it (on a previous non SL Mercedes) and he commented that in the year he had it he only used it once, and that was in the fog. I could see that it would be useful if one lived in Riverside California or other places prone to visibility problems on high speed roadways although I had assumed that it could be used even without having cruise control operative.

Personally, I would have preferred for Mercedes to have offered 4-matic as on option on the SL over distronic.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:14 AM

I got that option in my CL, and it works pretty good for me (combining with cruise control) during the long distance driving(i.e.: 5 hrs to Vegas).

I don't use it without cruise control (except the first time that I "play/experiment" with it); it just alarm me when the car get too close with the front car if I don't use it with cruise control.

-- mb_newbie
Old 06-05-2002, 03:20 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
it works great, but I recomend it for highway driving only and you still must stay alert
Old 06-13-2002, 02:33 AM

2008 CLS 63 & 2005 SL55
I don't see any practical use for it for the most part. If the car ahead of you slows down or speeds up you are following his driving patterns. In South Florida, on interstate driving, if you stay a reasonably safe distance behind the car just ahead of you, some Butt-Head will pull right in front of you between you and the car you've been following! Then what? Slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up, No thanx.

I also don't like the way it looks behind the 3 star grill either.

This is one gadget that ain't for Moi.

Bear