SL/R230: SL versus Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
SL versus Aston Martin

Lots of talk about Aston Martin cars in this forum.

The big issue for me with them would be distance to a dealership. Mercedes dealerships are all over the place, I looked at Aston Martin locations in Florida. I would need to travel 100's of miles to get to one for service. That would make owning one of them not to convenient.

Great for people who live in bigger cities that have a local dealer. I don't think Tallahassee or Jacksonville which is close to me will be getting one anytime soon.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I have the same problem, in Puerto Rico there is no dealer of Aston Martin.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Yes, it must be a problems for a low volume manufacturere covering the US. I assume the same is the case for Ferrari? Currently Aston make about 1/3 of the cars Ferrari making, aiming to ramp up to the same level. That's the downside of the exclusivity they provide.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:59 AM

I agree.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:25 PM

SL500 '05
Astons are a great looking car. Better than the SL? I would say the DB9 lines are not as appealing as the SL and the vanquish is beautiful looking car but a little over the top. Check out the flared arches.
Reliability is a big issue. I would argue whether the 2005 average buyer is still willing to have the car back and forth to the dealership just because it's hand built.
Our expectations are higher than ever.
Plus as stated the volume is due to increase significantly.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Oh well, it's down to personal preference, put the SL next to a DB9 as I have done and the styling compromises imposed by the folding hardtop in the SL are all too apparent. Sure the DB9 is a hard top and the soft top version with the roof up will probably be no beauty.

As for your assertion that reliability is a big issue, perhaps you'd like to point us at a web site where people are complaining about Aston quality...

When I get mine, if I have trouble, I only live 20 miles from Gaydon so it's easy to go and park it in Ulrich Bez's parking space or else in one of the others out front which are marked "Aston Martins Only". Other stuff, like SLs, are banished round the back.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:12 AM

SL500 '05
Compromised styling? I have also had them side by side.
The SL, as you have stated has a folding roof - this is what we want!
You have to give it the SL chief designer (British I think) he has given us truly cutting edge styling on a diffcult innovative design.
Leaves the Aston way behind.

I concede regarding the quality issue of these hand built cars. They are giving Bentley a run for their money.

Seriously, it is all about preference and I do like them but for me at the moment I want a two seater Roadster.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Don't deny Steve Mattin did a great job designing the SL, given that the dimensions of the trunk, the rear window and the top roof dictate in large measure the rear styling. You only have to look at the Lexus SC430 and (in Europe) other examples of the same type of car to see how not to do it. The new BMW 3 series is now said to have a folding hard top so it will be interesting to see how Chris Bangle's team address the issue.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:36 AM

SL500 '05
I remember the first time I saw the new SL on the road.
It was stunning to look at. I just had to get one. I can't remember the last time a new car model impressed like this.
For this reason I think we own a true classic.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
While an SL is a beauty in it's own right,they are a dime a dozen everywhere and lost their "exclusivity factor".Especially in Europe with the popular SL350 that looks the same as the SL65.
It's a daily driver that lost the sense of being "special to drive".
Astons,like Ferraris still have that factor.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by blueSL
Oh well, it's down to personal preference, put the SL next to a DB9 as I have done and the styling compromises imposed by the folding hardtop in the SL are all too apparent. Sure the DB9 is a hard top and the soft top version with the roof up will probably be no beauty.
I have had my car next to the DB9 looking at them both side by side.

While I absolutely do love the looks of the SL, what stands out immediately to me is the amount of seams in the metal of the SL as compared to the DB9.

Because of DB9's design and manufacturing process the amount of seams are much less than the SL. This is what stood out the most.

While I love the SL looks, I'd have to admit the DB9 is more stylish looking.

The inside of the DB9 is gorgeous but I do not believe is any better than the SL600, certainly not with the upgraded features when you order the black.

I also think there is a lot more room in the SL and that the looks and layout of the interior of the SL are a lot more practical.

Talk about features and gagits. The DB9 is miles behind the SL.

Motor wise I am sure they are both great although the SL600 is faster.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
It's really like comparing a S600 vs Arnage T.
S600 is unquestionably more capable,faster and better equipped but still,the Arnage is more desirable and prestigious.
Same with the SL vs AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:24 PM

SL500 '05
It is unfortunate that Mercedes decided to build so many per year
In the UK I still believe they are quite rare, however if you go to say London, I would be proved wrong.
A rural place, like where I live, they’re like rocking horse s**t
Old 02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The numbers are small in relative terms terms but they do congregate in pockets. I daresay there aren't many in Boone, North Carolina, but in Marin or Westchester counties, they must be a dime a dozen... same everywhere.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
The one good thing about the new Astons that i find particularly appealing is the fact that they only need a service check up every 10,000 miles like regular cars now.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Yes, they're becoming normal cars in that respect. I believe the rear seat had to come out to work on the brakes in Aston Martins of old, fine for a niche product but not for a manufacturer aiming to rival Ferrari.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by absent
It's really like comparing a S600 vs Arnage T.
S600 is unquestionably more capable,faster and better equipped but still,the Arnage is more desirable and prestigious.
Same with the SL vs AM.
My thoughts exactly. Question is what price do you pay for useability. I just sold my mint 355 spider (he picks it up tomorrow) and although looks wise, history,presige etc. the Ferrari blows away an SL55 but I not only find myself wanting a car I can actually drive anywhere but I will have to put up additional money over what I sold my Ferrari for to get it. I don't care what anyone says, a Ferrari is NOT anything close to a daily driver. A 430 is way more advanced than my 355 but it is still something that has parking issues, service issues and mileage issues if driven frequently. I like having a special low production car as much as the next guy and have a deposit on the Continental GT convertible but who knows when it is coming out. I like the Aston Volante but don't want to take a major deprciation hit on a "temporary" fix until the Bentley arrives. The SL seems like the perfect car.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The Ferrari is not a daily driver that's for sure; in fact, trying to use it as one will quickly dispel the special feeling you get when driving it. The Ferrari is ideal when the weather's good, you're in the mood and have the time to savour the car. If it's raining, you're late for a meeting and have just received a nasty letter from the IRS, the Ferrari is not your best friend.

The SL will deliver 90% of what you want, 90% of the time. For the rest, the Ferrari and (I hope) the Aston Martin will fill in the gaps.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:13 PM

SL500 '05
Whilst the SL seems to be scoring well in terms of practicality, it's not scoring well on desirability. Is this because we drive the SL too much and it’s losing its appeal, or is it an inferior car to the Aston?
If the fuel pump failed on an Aston would it be as widely criticized?

The comparison of the Arnage T and S600, After driving one for 12 months, the Arnage T was a big disappointment.
Although the acceleration was impressive in such a heavy car, it was totally unreliable.
I haven't seen build quality of that standard since my Dad owned a Lada. Windows seals whistled, wipers juddered, headlights flooded with water, the list goes on. All this on a new car. Bentleys are impressive as long as you don't own one.
Until VW get the build quality sorted, would not even consider the GT.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 PM

I still prefere the sl for all the tecnology it has and the posibility to become convertible that the Aston don't.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:28 PM

SL500 '05
Thats a good point and maybe the reason why they are a dime a dozen in Florida.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by jasab
Whilst the SL seems to be scoring well in terms of practicality, it's not scoring well on desirability. Is this because we drive the SL too much and it’s losing its appeal, or is it an inferior car to the Aston?
If the fuel pump failed on an Aston would it be as widely criticized?

The comparison of the Arnage T and S600, After driving one for 12 months, the Arnage T was a big disappointment.
Although the acceleration was impressive in such a heavy car, it was totally unreliable.
I haven't seen build quality of that standard since my Dad owned a Lada. Windows seals whistled, wipers juddered, headlights flooded with water, the list goes on. All this on a new car. Bentleys are impressive as long as you don't own one.
Until VW get the build quality sorted, would not even consider the GT.
Although I don't agree on the build quality of the Bentley ( I haven't had any of these issues on my 2000) I believe the loss of appeal of the SL is the production numbers. Sure they could offer more interior choices but an Aston is a low production special car. The SL55/600 are probably better in every category except desire. Much like the new Corvette when compared to just about any of its rivals,Ferrari/Lambo etc. It will do everything as well for 1/3 the price but it has too high of a production run and though it will be a good car, it won't carry the same "wow" factor.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 AM

I don't know but here in Puerto Rico the SL has it's WOW factor
Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by carlosfernandez
I don't know but here in Puerto Rico the SL has it's WOW factor
I would guess in the West Virginia mountains it would have the "wow" factor as well but in any real city in the US it is a pretty normal sight. I am not saying I don't like them but the high production makes them lose a little luster.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I saw an Arnage T in my valley for the first time ever. Its actually the first time ive seen an Arnage T on the road. Looked really good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: SL versus Aston Martin