SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Goodbye SL -- Hello 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 Porsche 911 Carrera; '04 BMW X5
Goodbye SL -- Hello 911

After 18 months of steady problems with my new '03 SL500, I traded it for a new '05 911 Carrera last Tuesday. It's unacceptable that a $97K car would be in the shop so many times, sometimes over the weekend when I wanted to drive the car most. I thought my solution for the inconvenience was buying an X5 last spring to drive so I wouldn't have to use one of the dealer's loaner C-Class sedans.

I love the 911 (so far), it's 6-speed manual, and I'm enjoying the way it sticks to the pavement (even on yesterday's rain-soaked PCH). Hopefully the folks at Porsche know how to put together a sportscar better than the guys at Daimler-Chrysler.

I fell in love with the SL's styling two years ago, but the mechanics and technological demands of the car proved too much for the manufacturer to produce properly.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Coming from the other direction

I got out of a 2002 911 because I thought the build quality was terrible. We used to joke, "Everyday a new rattle." I never had a quibble about the performance.

The 2003 SL500 had a lot of teething pains, to put it nicely. I had one of the very first US cars and I also had lots of troubles, but I sold it and got into a newer one and think it is the best convertible/GT on the market.

I assume you have the 997 body- how do you like the interior compared to your old SL500?

Last edited by shoes; 02-21-2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-21-2005, 02:21 PM

'05 Porsche 911 Carrera; '04 BMW X5
It's the new body style. I got the hardtop because I figured it will develop less rattles. The seat is more comforable than the SL (and mine had the comfort package -- I'll miss the ventilated seats.). I particularly like the way the headrest on the new car is only about an inch or two behind the back of my head, whereas the SL's never seemed to adjust to a position that was close enough. The 911 is much sportier and the SL was much more luxurious, in simplest terms. The ****pit sort of reminds me of driving the MG I had in high school.

I realize the 911 is quite a departure from the SL, and certainly there are things I will miss, but frankly I was troubled by the reliability. Mine was probably one of the last '03s manufactured. I should have waited for an '04, but they weren't out yet and it was more of an inpulse purchase. I read about the SL in Car and Driver on a Saturday afternoon, tested it, and traded my 8 month old '03 BMW 330cic that day.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
feel sory foryour experience on the sl but I understand that id the best convertible on the market right now.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I agree the seats need work

I completely agree that the seats in the SL could stand some improvement- all they have to do is copy the BMW comfort seat or the seats in the Audi A8. These seats are similar to the ones in the S Class and CL Class, which hopefully will get upgraded when the new S Class is released.

Good luck on the 911. I also had a coupe to minimize the rattles- to no avail.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Well, I have both, and just as there are horror stories of problems with the SL, life with a 911 is not a bed of roses.

The 996 (911 generation just ending) has been plagued with problems with oil leaks. Many 911 owners have the letters RMS (Rear Main Seal) imprinted across their brows. The problem is that when the seal fails, replacing it does not always fix the problem because the defect is in the design of the engine crankcase and bearings.

With a new 997, you have the protection of the warranty but the bad news is that 997s are already showing the same problem. Porsche has not fixed it in moving to this supposedly all new 911. Don't be fooled by the model year nonsense. If these cars are so different, how is it that they are still made on the same line?

And don't get me started on the engine failures where the cylinder liners let go, fill the oil galleries with debris and complete engine replacement is the only answer.

So, in moving car, you move from one set of issues to another and your key to automotive nirvana is finding a dealer who gives a s..t.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM

That's why I stick with the SL.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 AM
uk1
Almost a Member!

04 SL500
I live and work from home - and use a limo to the airport. I'm dumping the cars and buying a bike.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM

I don't hercitase to use and enjoy my car daily.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Ahh the 911 delema...

I've owned quite a few of these little gems over the years in both turbo and NA form.I must say the aircooled cars had excellent build quality/materials and the sweet sound, well... My favorites were the 930 turbo 4 speed cars and the 993 turbo's for many reasons. The 96-98 aircooled NA cars especially the S's are very nice too. Before the 993 cars were launched Porsche sales were in a bad way, so Porsche's board decided to bring in the Japanese to help them design a less expensive to produce 911. What Porsche did not know was two very important things 1) that the 993 with it's added power and more appealing looks would be such a big seller and 2) the economy would start to pick up, but by then the money had been spent and the ok to build the less expensive to produce 911 and also the boxster was given. I traded a mint 1997 triple black cab in on my first 996 in late 1998 and was shocked that the Porsche dealer in Palm Beach offered me so much for my 993 cab...what I did not realize was the europeans that have already seen and driven the new 996 noticed the shortfall in quality and materials of the 996 and were buying up mint 993 as fast as they could, hence the big $'s for my car and it was shipped back to europe. The days of the vault like handbuilt construction of 911's may be gone forever. My 996 came in about a month after i sold the dealer my 993, I liked the new car for about a week and then yearned for my little black aircooled gem.

My last new Porsche was in 02, the car was a big improvement from the early 996's. I checked out the 997 in detail, the car is better made and has much improved materials than the 996 but still not up to 993 build. The 997 S is a great performer matching acceleration of the 1994 Turbo 3.6 cars. I was not aware of the continued engine problems for the 997 that have carried over from the 996's...that's dissapointing.

Please no flames from current 996 guys, your cars are still 911's an outperform the respective classed aircooled cars; they're just not made as well.

Last edited by RJC; 02-22-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
RJC, you make a lot of sense. I think Porsche is clawing its way back from the lows of the early 996s but slowly. Some might look at their bottom line and say they are very profitable but this has only been achieved at the expense of some tarnishing of the brand image. Plus, of course, their biggest seller last year (admittedly a changeover year for the 911 and the Boxster) is the Cayenne and with (reportedly) a luxury sedan joining the line up, the focus is changing.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Porsche. You will not regret the change. My epiphany with the 03 SL came during a rainstorm 150 miles away from home. Then, I realized I had been seduced by a reputable auto company.

As I was driving home it began to rain. The windshield wipers made a very loud sound at the end of each stroke. Typical noise of rubber against rubber. The dealer changed blades, cleaned the windshield, etc., to no avail. I tried two different dealerships, another set of blades, and the problem could not be fixed. With time it got worse. I had to get Rain-X and drove home without using the wipers.

I checked this forum and found this was a common problem. I have had a plethora of mulfunctions with this car, which have been blamed on new "high technology". But, unfixable windshield wipers? Shame on Mercedes Benz.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:03 PM

SL500 '05
Originally Posted by 03SilverSL
After 18 months of steady problems with my new '03 SL500, I traded it for a new '05 911 Carrera last Tuesday. It's unacceptable that a $97K car would be in the shop so many times, sometimes over the weekend when I wanted to drive the car most. I thought my solution for the inconvenience was buying an X5 last spring to drive so I wouldn't have to use one of the dealer's loaner C-Class sedans.

I love the 911 (so far), it's 6-speed manual, and I'm enjoying the way it sticks to the pavement (even on yesterday's rain-soaked PCH). Hopefully the folks at Porsche know how to put together a sportscar better than the guys at Daimler-Chrysler.

I fell in love with the SL's styling two years ago, but the mechanics and technological demands of the car proved too much for the manufacturer to produce properly.
Don't look back; the negative comments posted will take the edge off your new car.
I'm sure you didn't buy the 911 for reliability. I was very close to getting a 911 in place of the SL. Like them both.
Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Since that is a serious "safety" issue, did you lemon it and get your money back or what?

Originally Posted by josh12
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Porsche. You will not regret the change. My epiphany with the 03 SL came during a rainstorm 150 miles away from home. Then, I realized I had been seduced by a reputable auto company.

As I was driving home it began to rain. The windshield wipers made a very loud sound at the end of each stroke. Typical noise of rubber against rubber. The dealer changed blades, cleaned the windshield, etc., to no avail. I tried two different dealerships, another set of blades, and the problem could not be fixed. With time it got worse. I had to get Rain-X and drove home without using the wipers.

I checked this forum and found this was a common problem. I have had a plethora of mulfunctions with this car, which have been blamed on new "high technology". But, unfixable windshield wipers? Shame on Mercedes Benz.