SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: More Legroom in new SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
More Legroom in new SL?

I've wanted a new SL for decades. The issue for me has always been one of legroom, or more specifically, the lack of it. I'm exceptionally tall, and in the past generation SL moving the seat rearward to the full extent of its travel automatically moved (forced) the seat back forward.

Is that still the case?

The specifications data suggests the current model has the same legroom as the past one. If so, I imagine the seating "relationships" (legroom, access around the console, etc.) are unchanged. If there are any tall owners who can comment on the R231's accommodations vis-a-vis the prior model, I certainly would appreciate reading your opinions.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM

2013 S550
Can't comment directly, but I have seen pictures of Michael Jordan driving an SL55 back when he was playing for the Wizards. So, there must be some way to accommodate those taller than the average, given he's 6'6".
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM

None
Originally Posted by ctouhey
Can't comment directly, but I have seen pictures of Michael Jordan driving an SL55 back when he was playing for the Wizards. So, there must be some way to accommodate those taller than the average, given he's 6'6".
Thank you for your response.

WRT Michael Jordan, I think he's actually much taller than 6'6". I can only assume that Mr. Jordan spent a lot of $ reworking the interior of the car so he could fit.

In that regard, I considered having the driver's seat relocated and mounted back permanently two inches or so. The problem with doing that is -- to state the obvious -- Mercedes put a lot of work into the design and location of the seats, air bags, roll bar (in the R230), etc. For that reason, no reputable dealer or body shop will consider changing the location of the seat. I certainly can understand it. The issue with the roll bar is significant.

I also have considered installing an aftermarket seat, one with a thinner seat back for example. I did this routinely in other cars (BMWs & Porsches, mostly), and Recaro used to offer lots of choices for other Mercedes, but they've never offered one (in the US) for the R230, and they won't offer one for the R231. Are there other options? Perhaps, but none that are safe, much less practical.

So I'm hoping someone that who's my height (6'7"; 37-inseam) who's owned an SL in the past and now owns a new one will know if the seating relationship (to the console, principally) has changed appreciably or not, and whether it's actually comfortable driving the car as envisioned by the manufacturer.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
I just went out to the garage and measured an additional six and a half inches of rear seat movement from my driving position.

I have a thirty inch inseam, if we add the extra rearward seat movement, we come up with a seating position for a person with a thirty six and a half inch inseam.

IMHO, you need to find a new SL and sit in it.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM

None
Daytona-flyer, thank you, sir, for your response. I really do appreciate your taking the time to measure the additional seat travel available.

You're right, I should find a new SL and try it on for size. Unfortunately, I live in a somewhat rural area of SC these days. My somewhat local dealer seldom has a new SL, and when I discussed this issue with the Gen. Mgr, he lost interest when he realized I don't fit within the 95th percentile.

Can I bother you with three more (easy to answer!) questions?

Am I correct in assuming you own a new SL, an R231?

Does the new SL have the auto-extending roll bar feature?

When you move your seat to the rearmost position, does that cause the seatback to move forward simultaneously at the end of the track?

WRT the latter, if the seatback didn't move forward as described in the R230, I could drive the car. Easily. It's the seatback moving forward that makes the driving position uncomfortable (actually, unworkable) for me. If that's not a "feature" of the seat in the R231, I'm in, so to speak.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Ratchet

Am I correct in assuming you own a new SL, an R231?

Does the new SL have the auto-extending roll bar feature?

When you move your seat to the rearmost position, does that cause the seatback to move forward simultaneously at the end of the track?

Check my garage for a few photos, it's Shadow Grey metallic.

Yes, it has the auto extending roll bars.

Only if the seatback is reclined way beyond a driving position.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

None
Daytona-flyer: Thank you again for your prompt responses.

Alas, your final comment above is key. It's that final inch or more that you and other "normal size" drivers consider "way beyond a driving position" that I need. In this regard, if the seatback in the SL would still recline when the bottom seat cushion was at the end of track, I could drive the car. Without the ability to recline the seat at the end of the seat track, I end up sitting bolt upright, and I can't drive the car like that. I've tried. Very uncomfortable for me.

You've told me what I needed to know. Thanks again.

Break, break. WRT your screen name, I've only known one other "Daytona-flyer" who drove an SL: Hurley Haywood. Before he owned a share in Brumos Porsche, and even while he was racing Porsches with Peter Gregg in the 24-hour events, he used to say that his SL was much more comfortable to drive long distances.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Ratchet
Daytona-flyer:

Alas, your final comment above is key. It's that final inch or more that you and other "normal size" drivers consider "way beyond a driving position" that I need. In this regard, if the seatback in the SL would still recline when the bottom seat cushion was at the end of track
With the seat in the rearmost position, the seat back still reclines past a proper driving angle.