SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: MB Command vs. BMW iDrive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
MB Command vs. BMW iDrive

I have been going back and forth on the vert I'll order in Dec for a spring delivery. Frankly I was giving the M6 a slight edge as I have had BMWs since I sold my CLK430 in 2003. We use S550s as company cars at work ('10s), but I haven't played with the Command system. Looks like BMW has opted (stupidly) to delay implementation of the new iDrive system in the 6 series until '14 models while adding it this year to 3 and 5 series cars.
So how is the Command system in the new SLs? I was told it was a pretty clunky system years back, but would like the thoughts of you folks using it in the SL now. This is just one of many factors weighing in the decision, so I'm not fixated on the issue, but would like to be up on the differences.
Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
Once you get used to the quirks (like any system) I think it works pretty well. The voice command systems work very well. The Nav aspect is good too, once you figure out how to program it. The internet aspect is kind of a waste. Costly and not as good as my IPhone 5. Once nice feature is that the command system will automatically download all of your contacts from your IPhone. Saves a ton of time....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Thanks Jim. Appreciate the input. Don't mind the learning curve.