SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: New SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Well after a 4 car exile with BMW I'm back in the MB club. Had a VERY pleasant experience today at the dealership.

Salesman knew I was coming as we had an appt and when I got there a Steel Gray SL550 was waiting for me. I had seen that color at the DC auto but it looked even better in the natural light. Has a slight blue cast to it. He handed me the keys, showed me how to start it and said "have fun." I almost said, "Don't you want my driver's license?"

Beautiful top down day in N VA today so I had a fun run. Car had 11 miles on it so I took it very easy. Very impressed with the way the car drives and the fit and finish were great.

We sat down, pretty much told him I wanted 5% off sticker and the 2K off for USAA members. In about two mins he said "okay." We then got back in the car and he showed me the auto park function etc and really hammered the car around. That torque is very impressive. Glad he did it so I got to learn about the power without driving someone else's (eventually anyway) car too hard. Probably not a monster deal, but they deserve to make a living too and I'm cool as along I don't get abused and I don't think that I did.

Car will be here around the end of April. Car has the Red/Black prem. leather and all options aside from B&O. I found the HK system in the test car pretty good and I have a super short commute anyway so I'd rather spend that money on a new front channel amp for my HT that gets LOTs of use.

Thanks to all for the great input and just the thoughts/impressions you share here. It was very helpful in deciding. I played with the ECO start feature. At first, the car kept running. I have to assume the parameters weren't met yet, but about 5 mins in it started working. I don't know if I'll use it, but at least for the first 10 mins, it didn't seem too horrible and the stereo sure sounds a bit nicer with the car off.

Last edited by BigHat; 02-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by BigHat
Car has the Red/Black prem. leather
Aside from everything else, you are going to really love the seats.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 PM

'13 SL550
Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
Aside from everything else, you are going to really love the seats.
Funny thing is the car was so new the plastic covers were still on the seats, They were black seats, put I never really got a chance to admire them other than they felt very supportive.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 PM

2013 SL63
Congrats. I think you are going to like the car.

I like mine, although some elements take some getting used to.

The torque off the line is amazing. It feels much stronger than the CL63 I had.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
i think the seats are very comfortable as well. and love the massaging function and the ability to variably direct the heated seat intensity from back to butt. every time i think these cars can not get any better or more comfortable, they surprise me in a very good way. love the whole thing this sl550 i do. even eco doesn't bother me. very happy with the car one week into owning it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 AM

'13 SL550
Not sure I care enough to do it this time, but I used to avail myself of BMWs status reports on the car's progress and then track the ship carrying her to the US. Is that something any of you have done?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
i did not. i didn't have mine built specifically for me like you are doing, bighat i test drove what the dealer had in inventory to see how i liked it, then told him specifically what i wanted in terms of color, options, etc since he did not have that exact car in inventory and three weeks later he had the car bang-on as i described i wanted it and delivered it to me the next day. some day, i would like to do the euro-delivery option, but it was not in the cards for me timing-wise this time around.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I did do that. But it was through the salesman...who forwarded me the progress via a pdf or png that he printed from his computer - all tied in with MB headquarters. I have a number of them - including the order exactly as it was received in Germany...nice to be sure that Germany exactly mirrors the details of what you ordered.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 sl550: 2011M3; 2011 Audi q5
Weather.

Originally Posted by jpeardm
wow, the only thing dropping from the trees here right now are icicles as the temp is up to a whopping 28 from near 0 last week
I can't take anymore, you have no idea. The snow won't be gone here for another 6 weeks. My new sl is sitting under cover in the garage with a trickle charger. I managed to put on 1500 miles last fall before I put it to bed. Loved every mile.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Jazzman777
I can't take anymore, you have no idea. The snow won't be gone here for another 6 weeks. My new sl is sitting under cover in the garage with a trickle charger. I managed to put on 1500 miles last fall before I put it to bed. Loved every mile.
92 today in So Cal.... Definately top down weather!

Warmest day since I took delivery.

Love the car... even though I have had quite a few "electronic" reasons to have to take it back to the dealer.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Seventy degrees here yesterday. I haven't put the top up in a month.

Though it's been a bit chilly here in Northeast Florida, with the window and wind blocker up, the heated seats and air scarf on, I'm fine with the top down at fifty degrees.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Yep. So Cal weather is great. Even with cold mornings top down! Lovin' it. Hey Jim, what are the electronic reasons you've had to take it back to the dealer? I've had none.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by California John
Yep. So Cal weather is great. Even with cold mornings top down! Lovin' it. Hey Jim, what are the electronic reasons you've had to take it back to the dealer? I've had none.
Damn. I can barely drive the car due to snow, nevermind top-down

Saw your posts re. ECO; keep in mind that the interior climate has to be regulated before it goes active. So when the heater runs full speed, ECO will be disabled.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
True about interior temperature. In one of my posts I think I mentioned that with the top up it seemed to achieve ECO status earlier. It's an interesting thing though that the interior temperature is an issue - if only because for me - I have the A/C and the fan OFF - so it's not pulling juice. And I'm assuming that the interior temperature parameter would have to do with that. Perhaps not. Anyway, thanks Wolfman.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM

2013 SL550
Hi John,

My passenger side mirror does not fold down any longer when I put it in reverse.

My lane change warning system only works intermittantly.

The trunk release works about 50% of the time.

The ECO system is not working about 80% of the time.

I think that was the list..... from what I can remember.

Glad to hear yours has been working so well!

Still love the car though!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Hi Jim,

Can I ask a few questions? Please don't feel offended if some of them may presume you may have not realized something simple.

Is you passenger side mirror switched properly so that it will fold down? It is turn on-able and off-able...and is easy to unknowingly turn off.

Lane change warning for me is, heck I don't really know - but I know that periodically I get a vibration/shake in the steering wheel when the system thinks I'm drifting unintentionally. I don't know how often it may miss - I guess I don't pay enough attention!

When you say that the trunk release works about 50% of the time - is that from the kick under the bumper or the release switch in the door or both? For me the trunk release with the kick under the bumper only worked intermittently until I figured out how to do it correctly and now it works every time.

And as for the ECO system - well...I can't really say much about that! It's a mystery that I've posted about elsewhere in these forums
Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM

2013 SL550
Hi Jim,

Can I ask a few questions? Please don't feel offended if some of them may presume you may have not realized something simple.

Is you passenger side mirror switched properly so that it will fold down? It is turn on-able and off-able...and is easy to unknowingly turn off.

Lane change warning for me is, heck I don't really know - but I know that periodically I get a vibration/shake in the steering wheel when the system thinks I'm drifting unintentionally. I don't know how often it may miss - I guess I don't pay enough attention!

When you say that the trunk release works about 50% of the time - is that from the kick under the bumper or the release switch in the door or both? For me the trunk release with the kick under the bumper only worked intermittently until I figured out how to do it correctly and now it works every time.

And as for the ECO system - well...I can't really say much about that! It's a mystery that I've posted about elsewhere in these forums
Hi John,

No offense taken.....

I did check the mirror issue, as it did work for a while and I thought the same thing, maybe I shut if off on accident. Alas, no.. :-(

The lane check is the warning in the mirror (also the audible beep) when someone is in you blind spot. The orange triangle stays on in the mirror sometimes, instead of going off. I have that lane assist thing that vribrates the steering wheel if you veer off course too... unfortunately that works just fine! hehe

As to the trunk, it does not matter if you use your foot, the keys, or the switch in the car. Sometimes the trunk lid starts up then stops after a second. Then you hit the switch again and it goes back down. Then, usually on the next try it goes up. Frustrating.

As for the ECO.... it is just a disappointment that it does not really work as advertised, as I think it is a good idea and I all for saving gas at $4.50 a gallon!

Thanks for the feedback though.... always appreciated!

Jim
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Jim A
Hi John,

No offense taken.....

I did check the mirror issue, as it did work for a while and I thought the same thing, maybe I shut if off on accident. Alas, no.. :-(

The lane check is the warning in the mirror (also the audible beep) when someone is in you blind spot. The orange triangle stays on in the mirror sometimes, instead of going off. I have that lane assist thing that vribrates the steering wheel if you veer off course too... unfortunately that works just fine! hehe

As to the trunk, it does not matter if you use your foot, the keys, or the switch in the car. Sometimes the trunk lid starts up then stops after a second. Then you hit the switch again and it goes back down. Then, usually on the next try it goes up. Frustrating.

As for the ECO.... it is just a disappointment that it does not really work as advertised, as I think it is a good idea and I all for saving gas at $4.50 a gallon!

Thanks for the feedback though.... always appreciated!

Jim
The orange triangle is always on if the the speed is below 15mph. The system will only activate over a certain speed; same as BMW.

Like the lane assist so much better than the BMW where I only get the vibrating steering wheel. I find the SL braking one wheel quite often and pulling the car back into the lane. Great feature!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Jim,

Did each item get fixed at the dealership? I assume that the ECO is just what it is, but the mirror - fixed? Trunk fixed? How about the lane assist?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 e 450 cabriolet
Taking delivery tomorrow

As the 2014's are being off loaded at the port many of the local dealers have been given marching orders to move the 2013 metal off their lots. I'll be taking delivery of a 2013 550 sl with a sticker price of $119,140, having paid ( it's a lease actually) $100k even. Residual's for a 33 month lease with 15k miles per year are at 59% which is good in my view. Naturally you have to find a car on the lot that works for you but the local stores are all autonation and they swap quite freely amongst themselves making it easier.
I'll post some pics of the new sled in a few days.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM

2013 SL
[QUOTE=happyinboca;5758820]As the 2014's are being off loaded at the port many of the local dealers have been given marching orders to move the 2013 metal off their lots. I'll be taking delivery of a 2013 550 sl with a sticker price of $119,140, having paid ( it's a lease actually) $100k even. Residual's for a 33 month lease with 15k miles per year are at 59% which is good in my view. Naturally you have to find a car on the lot that works for you but the local stores are all autonation and they swap quite freely amongst themselves making it easier.
I'll post some pics of the new sled in a few days.[/QUOT

If you don't mind my asking, what are your lease payments? I recently took delivery of a '13 SL, list price 118k. Did a 24 mth. upfront pay for 28,250, 10k/miles. Dealer through in free maintenance and two details as a kicker.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM

2019 e 450 cabriolet
I won't do a one pay or put anything down on a lease - get into an accident that totals the car or if it gets stolen and that $ goes bibi -

My payment including tax p/m is $1,150 - sign and drive - no $ out of pocket
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM

2019 e 450 cabriolet
New sled
Picked it up today
Attached Thumbnails New SL-image.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
It's a beauty!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM

2013 SL
Beautiful! You got a good deal on it, too. Enjoy in good health.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: New SL