SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: ECO system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL-550
Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
With all the parameters met, mine will sometimes work correctly. Often it will not. When I drove from Florida to the Smokies the system never went green.

Re-starting the engine usually turns the icon green. About a quarter of the time the restart will not.

I have been keeping a log. In each case the temp was between 55 and 65 (typical morning temps here this time of year) with the top down and the A/C off.

If the system goes green turning the A/C on makes it go yellow even though there is cool air in the vents.
Well I think we may have an issue with this ECO system, I can't make mine work at all and the light is green, I hope Mercedes Benz admits that they have an issue with this ECO systems and don't make all of us suffered for-it
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I must say I am curious about what your dealer says. I've been following this entire thread because my car's ECO is now behaving erratically. When I first got it (about a month ago) the ECO would come on as one would expect. But in the last 4-5 days, it is only on occasionally - yet my driving pattern is the same. It does indeed seem to have a mind of its own - but I can't find any common pattern with temperature, top up or down (mine's usually down in Southern California), A/C on or off, etc. I realize that there are many parameters that the system has to take into account - but with the change in the last week to being on only infrequently I have to think that it's just now downright erratic.

Please - everyone who has seen a dealer about this, please keep up the posts. I'm sure that MB harvests the dealer service records and they will at some point take it seriously if there is enough "chatter" from customers.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
hey, fellas -- i just took delivery of mine this morning. you may and probably already do know that eco only works when you are driving in 'e' mode and is automatically disabled from engaging if you choose to drive in 's' or 'm' modes. that is what my dealer told me this morning when he was teaching me the car. and that makes logical sense if you think about what eco is trying to accomplish. just thought i'd share that in case you think your eco is not working properly if you are driving in one of those sportier settings.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
This is from the digital manual. It's for the European cars but the conditions for the ECO should be the same.
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...ual_base.shtml

The ECO start/stop function is operational and the symbol is displayed in green in the multifunction display, if:

the indicator lamp in the ECO button is lit green

the outside temperature is within the comfort range

the engine is at normal operating temperature

the set temperature for the vehicle interior has been reached

the battery is sufficiently charged

the system detects that the windscreen is not misted up when the air-conditioning system is switched on

the bonnet is closed

the driver's door is closed and the driver's seat belt is fastened

If not all conditions for automatic engine switch-off are fulfilled, the symbol is shown in yellow.

Automatic engine start

The engine is started automatically if:

you switch off the ECO start/stop function by pressing the ECO button

in transmission position D or N, the brake pedal is released and the HOLD function is not active

you depress the accelerator pedal

you engage reverse gear R

you move the transmission out of position P

you switch to drive program S, S+ or M (AMG vehicles)

you unfasten your seat belt or open the driver's door

the vehicle starts to roll

the brake system requires this

the temperature in the vehicle interior deviates from the set range

the system detects moisture on the windscreen when the air-conditioning system is switched on

the battery's charge status is too low

Last edited by Daytona-flyer; 02-07-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Hey Guys,

As is often the the case, the dealers (and those who work for them) don't know a lot of the details about a car, much less an intricate system with many parameters. ajm0623 got some bad info:

"that eco only works when you are driving in 'e' mode and is automatically disabled from engaging if you choose to drive in 's' or 'm' modes. that is what my dealer told me this morning when he was teaching me the car. and that makes logical sense if you think about what eco is trying to accomplish."

When I read it I thought that it was wrong as I was pretty sure it worked in S - but I had to be sure. Here is an image shot this morning on the way to work:

Note that the driving mode is S, ECO is lit in green and the tach shows 0.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM

well, damn, california john, that sux! i thought i had cracked the nut on having to disable the eco every time when firing her up by selecting sport mode, which is more fun to drive in than economy mode anyway. damn. thanks for the clarification on this. i need to go back to the dealer tomorrow cos i cannot get the lumbar to work on either seat so i will mention this nugget of info you just provided. the elusive eco function continues to baffle ,,, and i apologize for providing and spreading incorrect information. mea culpa.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
Having read this useful thread again , I conducted a mini test to verify if ECO only works in E . Well, I selected S and during my trip ECO turned green , I came close the lights and the car stopped as supposed to be . The car stopped with HOLD engaged as well . With the tranny was in D and the lights were red , I unfastened seatbelt to see what was gonna happen . The car started by itself .
I knew there was no need to reinvent the wheel but I did somehow lol
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I unfastened seatbelt to see what was gonna happen . The car started by itself .
I guess it does that to stop you from getting out of the car with the engine ready to start itself.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Hey ajm0623, if my salesman upon showing me how things worked would have told me what yours told you I would have believed it too! I just never had the bad info to confuse me. However, the whole thing does perplex me some as I cannot surely repeat any of the parameters in a predictable manner. The scientist in me likes repeatable things. Anyway, I'm glad that more of us keep bringing information to this forum - the more info the better!

I will give another parameter that does seem to be predictable and that is with the top down it does SEEM to make it more difficult to engage the ECO system. It definitely seems more reluctant with the top down. BTW, I always have the a/c off when I have the top down. You see, I really don't know for a fact that this is a factor - at this stage it is just something that seems to me...

We'll get this nailed down at some point I think.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 AM

do any of you guys get a brief micro-second stumble when going from HOLD (eco-engaged, engine "off") to firing up the engine when depressing the accelerator (and cancelling HOLD at the same time)? i've tried it once and didn't get the smooth restarting i do when not using the HOLD function. now, i know, one data point is not a trend (haha)' and i need to play with this thing more as i have like 8 miles on it but thought i would mention it as long as we are talking about all things eco here. the one time it was a little unsettling not to have the instant power i am used to with these machines when the red traffic lamp turns green. i may be making more out of it but am throwing it out there now as long as the topic is "hot" here. btw - nothing wrong with my lumbar that i alluded to above; it was user error! i didnt realize these things were four-way and wasn't inflating them correctly; it is all good on that front. looking forward to taking her out today to play some more.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
I let my wife drive yesterday. The ECO was working well.

I asked her about the stop/start. She said that she didn't even notice it.

I think we are a picky bunch, but there are times I don't notice it until I pulled away and encountered that slight delay. I guess that's how it should be.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
I let my wife drive yesterday. The ECO was working well.

I asked her about the stop/start. She said that she didn't even notice it.

I think we are a picky bunch, but there are times I don't notice it until I pulled away and encountered that slight delay. I guess that's how it should be.
yeah, same here. I told my wife to just turn it off if it bothers her but she said she doesn't even know what that thing is. Her main concerns are only the air scarf and bluetooth, lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM

google
working at almost random times.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
It worked yesterday. The system went green after ten minutes and stayed that way until I reached the first red light. After about thirty seconds, the engine started.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLA45
I'm following this thread with interest. I have a 2012 CLS63 which I adore, and my 2013 SL63 should be here any day. The ECO system on the SL63 is my ONLY objection with respect to the otherwise great vehicle, but it is annoying. It just amounts to one extra (unnecessary) step each time I crank it up: my routine is 1) hit the start button; 2) hit the seat heater or seat ventilation button as needed; 3) hit the AMG button, which turns off the ECO function; and 4) put it in the appropriate gear.

Granted, this is a "1%-er" problem. The hardship of Mercedes owners having to hit another button, after all, doesn't compare with the hardships others face. But come on -- how hard can it be to program the system to default to the AMG setting?

If anyone finds a dealer willing to do this, or, alternatively, a shop willing to provide the hacking code, I hope you'll post it here. It just can't be that difficult.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
The reason it defaults to ECO is because that is how the vehicle is certified to meet CAFE requirements. In the US, you can thank the EPA for this as the ECO feature helps reduce emissions. So don't complain to Mercedes-Benz or the dealer, complain to the US government. It would actually be against federal law for a dealer to change that (if they could). It is equal to removing your catalytic convertors.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
The reason it defaults to ECO is because that is how the vehicle is certified to meet CAFE requirements. In the US, you can thank the EPA for this as the ECO feature helps reduce emissions. So don't complain to Mercedes-Benz or the dealer, complain to the US government. It would actually be against federal law for a dealer to change that (if they could). It is equal to removing your catalytic convertors.
While I agree that the ECO function is fundamental to achieving the fuel efficiency figures on the SL etc., your conclusion about the dealer being able to change the settings is an absolute joke.

Breaking the federal law? I guess BMW dealers are breaking the law every day by setting the default for the Auto Start/Stop function (their version of ECO) to off, based on customer requests.

Don't confuse corporate policy or current toolsets with laws...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM

10 speed bicycle
As stated, it is against the law for anyone to change the way the vehicle is certified. I cannot speak for BMW, but in MB this function is coded in and locked via SCN coding. I also cannot tell you how BMW certifies their vehicles, however if the manufacturer made it able to be switched off, I would have to assume it is not needed to meet CAFE. In other words BMW may be a cleaner running car, but that is purely speculation.

Dealers do not have the ability to modify this coding MB. Dealer techs are locked out of this coding.

Last edited by MBtech1098; 03-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

As stated, it is against the law for anyone to change the way the vehicle is certified. I cannot speak for BMW, but in MB this function is coded in and locked via SCN coding. I also cannot tell you how BMW certifies their vehicles, however if the manufacturer made it able to be switched off, I would have to assume it is not needed to meet CAFE. In other words BMW may be a cleaner running car, but that is purely speculation.

Dealers do not have the ability to modify this coding MB. Dealer techs are locked out of this coding.
As stated, it is not against the law. Unless you like to qualify pre-sale versus post sale service.
Just because MB doesn't have the disable function in their STAR Tek software YET doesn't mean it's illegal, so please don't make that assumption.

Naturally, BMW will have to deal with the same US regulations and the scenario was identical to BMW's service software. No disable feature was available and then was added via software update and service policy update.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM

10 speed bicycle
It is not an assumption, it is regulation. If they could put it in their "STAR Tek" software that would be great! Even better if they could put it in their XENTRY software.

With MB and XENTRY diagnostics there are very, and I mean VERY few coding changes a dealer can make. All of this is coded via Software Calibration Number. MB documents all the coding and vehicle data on back end servers which is then written to the vehicle via he SCN process. Unless a dealer has access to the back end server (which they never will) then they will not be able to make changes such as that to the vehicle. He only exception would be XENTRY developer which dealers do not have.

I can not say anything regarding BMW as I don't know how their vehicles are certified. I do have intimate knowledge however of MB's and their certification processs in the US.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to PM me, as I no longer wish to detract from the thread with a senseless forum argument.

Nor will I give a further response on this thread regarding the legality or lack there of.

Last edited by MBtech1098; 03-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

It is not an assumption, it is regulation. If they could put it in their "STAR Tek" software that would be great! Even better if they could put it in their XENTRY software.

With MB and XENTRY diagnostics there are very, and I mean VERY few coding changes a dealer can make. All of this is coded via Software Calibration Number. MB documents all the coding and vehicle data on back end servers which is then written to the vehicle via he SCN process. Unless a dealer has access to the back end server (which they never will) then they will not be able to make changes such as that to the vehicle. He only exception would be XENTRY developer which dealers do not have.

I can not say anything regarding BMW as I don't know how their vehicles are certified. I do have intimate knowledge however of MB's and their certification processs in the US.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to PM me, as I no longer wish to detract from the thread with a senseless forum argument.

Nor will I give a further response on this thread regarding the legality or lack there of.
I understand your position and greatly value your technical posts; my argument is simply that this is not a legal situation and you are making this incorrect assumption. Certainly not senseless because you have put the legal twist on a feature that is disliked in many countries. That's all.

That said, there are now services available in Germany where the ECO can be turned off by default. This appears to be done via ODB interface. Just FYI

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-12-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interestingly enough, my wife is bothered more by ECO than I am. I think t does work quite well in stop-n-go traffic unless you use the auto-hold.

Then the engine starts only when you step on the gas which introduces more of a delay in acceleration.

I am still turning it off the moment I start the car; along with switching to to S from E (which is another annoyance; the old SL stayed on S when set to it)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM

2013 SL550
ECO

I actually like the ECO system.

However, like many of you, mine works so seldom, I don't get to experience it very often. I especially hate when I look down and find the ECO light green, get to a light, only to find it has turned yellow and will not work!

So much for the 2013's amazing technology!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
I paid for it and I want it to work!

The mechanic at my dealer said they all have the same problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
I do almost all my driving within the city of San Francisco, so mostly stop and go traffic between stop signs. A few weeks into ownership, I gave up turning off ECO and switching to S each time after starting the car. I quickly became "assimilated" and now drive with the confidence that I'm helping the environment. (just kidding)

But seriously, ECO isn't that bad once you get used to the extra noise & shake when the car has to startup again. I find that ECO often shuts off the engine when I'm waiting at a stop sign or signal light and haven't had any problems with it. I don't recall seeing the ECO symbol turn yellow for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: ECO system