SL/R231: Engine Warning Light and Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM
tqb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 550SL
Engine Warning Light and Oil Consumption

This one is a real head scratcher for me. 2013 SL550 with 1000 miles on it. Car is 5 months old. When I started it today I noticed the engine warning light stayed on. Car drives normal. The next morning I opened the hood and checked the oil. The dipstick level is at the minimum level. Actually it is slightly below the minimum. Can any of you provide me with what would be normal oil consumption for this car. The oil level has me more concerned than the engine warning light. I have an appointment with Mercedes Benz of Chandler tomorrow. I will let you know what they find.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by tqb
This one is a real head scratcher for me. 2013 SL550 with 1000 miles on it. Car is 5 months old. When I started it today I noticed the engine warning light stayed on. Car drives normal. The next morning I opened the hood and checked the oil. The dipstick level is at the minimum level. Actually it is slightly below the minimum. Can any of you provide me with what would be normal oil consumption for this car. The oil level has me more concerned than the engine warning light. I have an appointment with Mercedes Benz of Chandler tomorrow. I will let you know what they find.
Chances are oil was low to begin with and nobody checked it on delivery. All engines consume oil, especially when pushed, but I assume you weren't driving your first 1000 miles at 150mph
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I have 2000 miles on mine. You prompted me to pull the dipstick for the first time. Pretty full. Hmmm. I imagine that upon building they put an exact amount of oil in each car - and it should have also been checked in the dealership's Pre Delivery Inspection. However, things can be overlooked. Although we wouldn't expect that it would burn (or otherwise consume) much oil. If the dipstick is down to the level of the warning, a quart should make it fine - but the question becomes will it happen again? How soon? Is it normal? I don't know as this is my first MB. I think though that manufacturers usually have some built in parameters that say something like a quart every thousand miles or so is OK (in other words, we're not going to pull the engine apart for minor oil consumption - the only deleterious side of which is in the pocketbook).

In my last car, a 2010 BMW 335i, the parts man told me that a quart every thousand was in spec. Never happened and in the 24,000 I had the car I put in a quart one time.

Thanks for keeping us all informed. BTW, I looked in the owner's manual and didn't see a spec for oil consumption.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
tqb

2013 550SL
I seem to remember opening up the hood and locating the dipstick when the car was new. I did pull it out and seem to remember it being full. But that was 5 months ago and I may not be accurate on having paid much attention to the level. I will let you know what the dealer says.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
tqb

2013 550SL
Report from dealer

I took car in this AM. I asked the service advisor to check the level on the dipstick as I wanted him to put the level on the repair paperwork. The engine was hot and the car had sat with the engine off for 2-3 mins. He pulls out the dipstick and the oil is close to the middle. The day before I had checked the car in the morning after it had sat in the garage overnight and the level was slightly below the min level. I always thought the oil level in the oil pan gets higher as it sits for an extended period of time. Next they take the car in to the service bay and I talk to the head tech they have. He told me in these engines after a certain point of sitting (like overnight in the garage) the oil level will be lower due to the engine configuration in this car with the 2 turbos. He said the oil should be checked when the engine is hot and has been turned off for 5 min. Now for the engine warning light. He said it was a code 4 ? which indicated a significant leak in the evaporative system, purge valve stuck open, or possible gas cap issue. He wanted to keep the car for the day to make sure he could find the cause for the warning light.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Hmmm. The code they pulled was for a fuel system issue - interesting. Please keep us informed. Oil fine. Good. I sure jumped to a conclusion that the two were related. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
SL 350 R231
I've noticed with my car when I check the oil one side of the dipstick shows the oil near enough at the bottom and on the other side it's at the full mark. It Must be the angle that the stick goes into the oil.