SL/R231: Dead forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Dead forum?

I suspect we have about 10 guys with an R231 on this board and everyone is enjoying their cars. Which makes this forum a bit of a boring destination. Nothing to read or post...

This is normal with a low production new model, but I am curious about other experiences...

Do you like your rides? Apart from ECO, that is? Is anyone planning any upgrades or mods? If so, what and post some pics/videos...

I am personally not a modder, but like to take the car to the point how I like it best. Close to OEM but improved

So here is my list:
Lower the car - Done
Upgrade wheels/tires -Done
Install AMG aluminum shift paddles - tbd
Renntech ECU upgrade - tbd
Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts
‘16 g550; '20 s560; '15 targa4s
yeah, wolfy - i think everyone is out enjoying their cars now that summer is here! you know - playing with them instead of writing about them. i'm only on the site this afternoon cos im kickin back with a single malt and waiting for the preakness.

i don't mod my cars. ever. i usually trade them in for a new one every year so it is not worth it. however, this one has my heart - so i may keep it for maybe two years or so. i got the multi-spoke 19" wheel option (not amg) and i have yet to see another sl around chicagoland with "my" wheels. makes it tough to be anonymous. haha!

eco does not bother me any more; i am used to it. and now i know and am confident it will not leave me stranded in the middle of the intersection, which was always my fear. im good with it now and don't pay that much attention to it any more.

i only had a few hiccups/ teething problems which have been corrected (and documented on this site). otherwise, this car is brill. i get thumbs up from at least someone every day. it sort of makes me uncomfortable but now im diggin that others like it. i think it looks and rides terrific. i would buy it again in heartbeat. i have not one bad thing to say about this machine.

and i agree that this site is dead. compare this site to the bimmerfest site for the 5 series (f10). now THAT is a bizee site!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
I agree the thread has been quiet. I have a 2014 SL550 ordered that I am picking up in Europe first week of Sept. I was considering the Renntech ECU mod but I cannot find anyone who has done this. Also, I cannot get a definitive answer as to whether the warranty is voided by the ECU mod. In addition, I have never seen any posts about people who have ordered the Designo Edition. I was toying around getting either the Sienna Brown or Light Brown Designo interior with the Iridium Silver outside. Any suggestions? Any Comments?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Yep. I guess most of us either went to the site to get a problem solved and then bugged out never to return unless another issues prompts its head - or are out driving in the nice weather.

I also am curious about the Renntech ECU mod - and emailed them a detailed letter with questions about it - same ones we all have - and they never responded....a month or two ago. I sent it from their site too. If they can't respond to a letter inquiring about their product can they respond to an actual problem one might have once they have purchased their product? Hmmm.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Do you like your rides? Apart from ECO, that is?
My only problem with the ECO stop/start is that mine doesn't work 90% of the time. Three times they tried to fix it. When it does work (now this really pisses me off) I love it.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
For me, the ECO has always been a bit problematic. However I've come to understand how it works and now it is fairly predictable. It seems that the biggest variable is the differential between indoor and outdoor temperatures. Since I have my car's top down 90% of the time (Southern California), I am often at odds with optimum settings as the air conditioning and heating unit is most often turned off - therefore the temperature inside the car is just whatever it happens to be.

The car rides very well - I have the AMG package (with ABC) - which I keep in sport setting all of the time. Going around corners rapidly, the car stays quite level. There is very little pitch, yaw, roll, dive, squat - or any of that extraneous body movement. I especially appreciate that coming from a racing background. In my racing background my *** was usually about 8 inches above the ground on the race track with only a thin sheet of aluminum separating me from the track. Now, a race car handles better the harder you drive it as the suspension is optimized for the limit. Our R231 is nothing like a race car - or a Porsche for that matter - but this is not a car I wanted for track days and the new 911 convertible I drove was smaller inside, much noisier and slower!

The R231 is very solid and happy to be driven fast and hard as long as hard doesn't mean quick transitions back and forth like carving up a back canyon. I love the car - its speed, handling, looks and comfort.

Last edited by California John; 05-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

We live in a more moderate climate and ECO works all the time. There are a few conditions in between which have to do with heating/cooling that deactivate it, but it definitely works as advertised.

That said, it's the first thing I turn off along with switching the transmission from E to S. very annoying that it won't remember the transmission setting as the old SL.

Will definitely go back to the ABC suspension on the next one.

Re. Renntech, it is a highly regarded, if expensive, tuning company. The founder came from AMG and I have never heard of any their tunes desctroying an engine.

There are certainly other quality lower-cost tuners out there like Eurospeed and speeddriven, but very few hav tunes for the R231 yet.

Just call Renntech and/or find a local shop who offers Renntech...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ajm0623
yeah, wolfy - i think everyone is out enjoying their cars now that summer is here! you know - playing with them instead of writing about them. i'm only on the site this afternoon cos im kickin back with a single malt and waiting for the preakness.

i don't mod my cars. ever. i usually trade them in for a new one every year so it is not worth it. however, this one has my heart - so i may keep it for maybe two years or so. i got the multi-spoke 19" wheel option (not amg) and i have yet to see another sl around chicagoland with "my" wheels. makes it tough to be anonymous. haha!

eco does not bother me any more; i am used to it. and now i know and am confident it will not leave me stranded in the middle of the intersection, which was always my fear. im good with it now and don't pay that much attention to it any more.

i only had a few hiccups/ teething problems which have been corrected (and documented on this site). otherwise, this car is brill. i get thumbs up from at least someone every day. it sort of makes me uncomfortable but now im diggin that others like it. i think it looks and rides terrific. i would buy it again in heartbeat. i have not one bad thing to say about this machine.

and i agree that this site is dead. compare this site to the bimmerfest site for the 5 series (f10). now THAT is a bizee site!
I hear you. Finally enjoying the convertible as intended as well. Been on this board for a while and get more active when changing cars or having issues/helping others with issues.
Bimmerfest is very active to be sure. Have a 2012 750li x-drive and there is a lot of posting even on that model. I am looking at the new S-Class now which will be a fun upgrade to the 7

How about posting a pic so we can see your car looks with those wheels. Never seen one either...

Enjoy your SL!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 PM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
J1013 - What date are you picking up your car? I am picking up my 63 on the 5th. I did order the Designo interior - we already did it in our CL and it was definitely worth it.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM

here is a pix of the car with the 19" multi-spoke (non amg) wheel option (code 11r) they are painted and look similar to the wheels that came standard on the previous gen sl amg.
Attached Thumbnails Dead forum?-image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM

and one more ,,,
Attached Thumbnails Dead forum?-image.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

here is a pix of the car with the 19" multi-spoke (non amg) wheel option (code 11r) they are painted and look similar to the wheels that came standard on the previous gen sl amg.

Nice! Definitely gives the car a different look than the ubiquitous AMG SL wheel. If they are anything like my old SL55 turbine wheels, they are a real pain to clean.

Are the lots of new SL's in Chicago? In Minneapolis, I have only come across maybe half a dozen or so. Rare bird...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM

any of those turbine fan-type wheels can be a real be-yatch to clean. my 07 s550 had a similar spoke and they were tough to clean. but these painted wheels on the sl seem not to attract the brake dust as much as the non-painted wheels for some reason. that is to say, the brake dust doesn't seem to cling as much to them. they are still higher maintenance then the standard five spoke wide easy access to clean wheels of the amg ,,,

as to the chicagoland "sl experience," i see a few in my neighborhood and a few on the motorways around here, but they still seem to be far and few between. not sure why. low 13 builds? people think it is ugly? too much $, yada. whatevs - me likey mine a lot. what i do find interesting is the number of used ones for sale already at all the dealers around here. it's like people drive them for 2k-3k miles and dump them for some reason. probably eco! haha. which is too bad cos eco ain't goin' away on other new models.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

any of those turbine fan-type wheels can be a real be-yatch to clean. my 07 s550 had a similar spoke and they were tough to clean. but these painted wheels on the sl seem not to attract the brake dust as much as the non-painted wheels for some reason. that is to say, the brake dust doesn't seem to cling as much to them. they are still higher maintenance then the standard five spoke wide easy access to clean wheels of the amg ,,,

as to the chicagoland "sl experience," i see a few in my neighborhood and a few on the motorways around here, but they still seem to be far and few between. not sure why. low 13 builds? people think it is ugly? too much $, yada. whatevs - me likey mine a lot. what i do find interesting is the number of used ones for sale already at all the dealers around here. it's like people drive them for 2k-3k miles and dump them for some reason. probably eco! haha. which is too bad cos eco ain't goin' away on other new models.
Why somebody would sell with 2k miles is beyond me. Here used ones are rare too; there is only a single used one in a 2.5 million metro area.
The new SL is much better in so many ways. Had the R230 for 11 years and was ready to move on. I could be talked into an new SL63, but that's about it.

I like our wheels for the ease of cleaning, but they also get dirty in a cool kind of way. They have polished aluminum spokes with gunmetal paint in-between so they look darker. As brake dust builds up the wheels actually turn more titanium. With a silver car that looks actually right
Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 SL550 (Designo Edition), 08 C300, 13 Mini Cooper, 17 Macan GTS, 18 720s
We are really enjoying our new SL. The only regret is not having easy close doors, like on the S-Class. Might do the Renntech ECU, but not seeing the value in .5 second improvement, car is fast enough in my opinion.

If I want a faster car, can hope in the Ferrari - just got a 599 GTB, sold the 360 after 6 years of trouble free use.

MB
Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 AM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
I am still not used to the ECO. First thing I do is turn it off, change the mode to sports, and get the top down. Wish the memory setting would do all of this. I have the easy close doors ... much different than the W221 easy close doors ... Easy close doors on my SL are much more subtle and it takes a second or so for them to engage (I am guessing there was a difference between the pneumatic doors and these doors) ... I did have an issue with the headlamps fogging up the first week I had my car. The dealer ordered new headlamps. Other than that, all is good. I do get a lot of thumbs-up and compliments on this model as compared to my '11 SL. The magnetite black is harder to keep clean as opposed to the diamond white. I will post pictures this weekend. Happy riding.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by F456 V12
We are really enjoying our new SL. The only regret is not having easy close doors, like on the S-Class. Might do the Renntech ECU, but not seeing the value in .5 second improvement, car is fast enough in my opinion.

If I want a faster car, can hope in the Ferrari - just got a 599 GTB, sold the 360 after 6 years of trouble free use.

MB
I am thinking about the ECU for the torque, this is already a 4 second car. Have always enjoyed th thrust of the V12TT and the upgrade would match the torque
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We live in a more moderate climate and ECO works all the time. There are a few conditions in between which have to do with heating/cooling that deactivate it, but it definitely works as advertised.
After the car warms up, I can force the ECO to turn green by restarting the engine. This works about half the time. Otherwise it doesn't work 90% of the time.

If I turn the A/C on, the system goes yellow as expected. When the ducts cool down, I still have to restart the engine for the ECO to turn green.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM

2013 SL63
I would be happy if the ECO did not work 100% of the time!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by red308
I would be happy if the ECO did not work 100% of the time!
it's the second button I push every time I get in the car, lol
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jpeardm
it's the second button I push every time I get in the car, lol
This is the automatic startup sequence for me: Start, Sport, ECO off
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
After the car warms up, I can force the ECO to turn green by restarting the engine. This works about half the time. Otherwise it doesn't work 90% of the time.

If I turn the A/C on, the system goes yellow as expected. When the ducts cool down, I still have to restart the engine for the ECO to turn green.
Not sure where you live in Florida, but it seems that several members here are also from FL. Perhaps you may want to meet up and compare your cars ECO functions to really determine if this just condition-based or a system fault.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Yesterday, the ECO stop/start worked all day?????
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Weather?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 PM

AMG SLS & S coupe
Originally Posted by California John
Weather?
No, the darn thing ha a mind of it's own. It fails to work 85% of the time.

Top up or top down, it doesn't care.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Dead forum?