SL/R231: Different Front License Plate mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,008 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Different Front License Plate mount

I hate having a front license plate mounted as it really distracts from the look of the car. Furthermore, the cheap plastic mount from Mercedes just looks nasty and requires drilling the bumper.

But the police here likes giving out pricey tickets for missing front license plates or generally looks for reasons to pull one over.

So here is a slightly different setup that doesn't require drilling the front bumper and is nice and flush

Here are some pics. First the MB mount on our old SL and then the new mount...
Attached Thumbnails Different Front License Plate mount-dsc_2353.jpg   Different Front License Plate mount-dsc_2354.jpg   Different Front License Plate mount-dsc_2571.jpg   Different Front License Plate mount-dsc_2573.jpg   Different Front License Plate mount-dsc_2576.jpg  

Old 08-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG S63 Cabrio
where did you get the new mount? did you have to fill in holes or did this car never have the old mount-so none drilled?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I am curious as well, but this morning while waxing my car I realized that the oil cooler is very small and is in front of the intercooler. I would be somewhat concerned with this blocking air flow to the oil cooler. It's hot here in Texas and it appears that this mount position would block about half of the area. Just something to look at.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogersar
where did you get the new mount? did you have to fill in holes or did this car never have the old mount-so none drilled?
I bought it on Amazon for less than $6 and free shipping via Amazon Prime, then purchased all stainless steel screws at the hardware store (another $12) to prevent rusting.
Amazon.com: Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame: Automotive Amazon.com: Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame: Automotive

If the front license plate is already mounted by MB, it is somewhat too late as the 2 holes are already in the bumper. That can be fixed/painted cheaply...

It looks so much better as the license plate is not bend and tucked in a bit.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I bought it on Amazon for less than $6 and free shipping via Amazon Prime, then purchased all stainless steel screws at the hardware store (another $12) to prevent rusting. Amazon.com: Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame: Automotive

If the front license plate is already mounted by MB, it is somewhat too late as the 2 holes are already in the bumper. That can be fixed/painted cheaply...

It looks so much better as the license plate is not bend and tucked in a bit.
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
I am curious as well, but this morning while waxing my car I realized that the oil cooler is very small and is in front of the intercooler. I would be somewhat concerned with this blocking air flow to the oil cooler. It's hot here in Texas and it appears that this mount position would block about half of the area. Just something to look at.
No worries. There is plenty of airflow around the coolers...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
A law change in Texas makes the need to mount a front plate a non-requirement after September 1, 2013. Yeah!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

A law change in Texas makes the need to mount a front plate a non-requirement after September 1, 2013. Yeah!!!
Can't beat that. Good news for you!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM

AMG SLS & S coupe
I'm glad Florida is a no-front license plate.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 e 450 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
I'm glad Florida is a no-front license plate.
+1
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM

E350
I hate having a front license plate mounted as it really distracts from the look of the car. Furthermore, the cheap plastic mount from Mercedes just looks nasty and requires drilling the bumper.

But the police here likes giving out pricey tickets for missing front license plates or generally looks for reasons to pull one over.

So here is a slightly different setup that doesn't require drilling the front bumper and is nice and flush

I purchased the stated bracket from Amazon but the instruction state to drill the holes. How did you mount the bracket without drilling. Close up picture will be helpful. Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by yogeshmalhotra
I purchased the stated bracket from Amazon but the instruction state to drill the holes. How did you mount the bracket without drilling. Close up picture will be helpful. Thanks
I know you aren't asking me, but I mounted a similar bracket on a BMW 335i with all thread and fender washers through the grill. It held the plate for the 3 years that I had the car and went with it as a trade-in.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:42 PM

E350
I know you aren't asking me, but I mounted a similar bracket on a BMW 335i with all thread and fender washers through the grill. It held the plate for the 3 years that I had the car and went with it as a trade-in.
Thanks. I was wondering how to attach the bracket on the grill. The screws may not screw into grill and you need a nut. Did you modify the nut so that it does not pass thru the grill
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Thanks. I was wondering how to attach the bracket on the grill. The screws may not screw into grill and you need a nut. Did you modify the nut so that it does not pass thru the grill
I got two (2) pieces of stainless steel all thread, six (6) stainless steel nuts for the all thread, and four (4) fender washers. I first attached the all thread to grill by putting a nut and a fender washer on one side of the grill and then putting a second fender washer and a nut on the other side of the grill to clamp the grill between the two (2) fender washers. You can put lock washers between the nut and the fender washers if you are worried about them vibrating loose, but I used a little bit of removable loc-tite. Once the all thread is mounted you just put it through the bracket and tighten it with the 5th and 6th nuts.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 PM

E350
I got two (2) pieces of stainless steel all thread, six (6) stainless steel nuts for the all thread, and four (4) fender washers. I first attached the all thread to grill by putting a nut and a fender washer on one side of the grill and then putting a second fender washer and a nut on the other side of the grill to clamp the grill between the two (2) fender washers. You can put lock washers between the nut and the fender washers if you are worried about them vibrating loose, but I used a little bit of removable loc-tite. Once the all thread is mounted you just put it through the bracket and tighten it with the 5th and 6th nuts.

I hope that helps.
Thanks. This helps. Where did you get all this hardware from?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Thanks. This helps. Where did you get all this hardware from?
A local Fastenal. There should be one in your area. If not then Grainger or McMaster Carr will have these.

Last edited by Centexhokie; 09-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM

2013 SL 550
I ordered this from Amazon.com and am hoping to have it installed this Thursday...

Race Sport Hide-A-Way retractable license plate holder Manual : Amazon.com : Automotive Race Sport Hide-A-Way retractable license plate holder Manual : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 08-07-2016, 12:00 PM

2013 SL550 Designo 2012 Jeep Wrangler lifted 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Why would you need a holder? I would think you could carefully form the plate to the curve and just use bolts and nuts and washers to hold it. My next project
Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xcelr8n
Why would you need a holder? I would think you could carefully form the plate to the curve and just use bolts and nuts and washers to hold it. My next project
Why? Because without it it'll look like crap
Seriously though, the solution I chose made it easy to adjust the angle and placement easily without having the plate touch the bumper and be perfectly straight.

On the 2017 model, this will be a new challenge as the bumper is more sculpted and really only looks good without a plate.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:06 PM

SL63

I hope that helps.
Disregard

Last edited by atpcfiaim; 10-16-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:22 PM

SL63

Wolfman, I have the same mount but I can’t figure out how you got nuts and washers behind the lower grille, say nothing of a wrench. Did you have to disassemble the lower grille to gain access? If so, how? Or another part of the car? Your install is inspirational but frustrating since I can’t figure out how you did it. TIA
Old 10-17-2023, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by atpcfiaim
Wolfman, I have the same mount but I can’t figure out how you got nuts and washers behind the lower grille, say nothing of a wrench. Did you have to disassemble the lower grille to gain access? If so, how? Or another part of the car? Your install is inspirational but frustrating since I can’t figure out how you did it. TIA
Wow, that was 10 years ago. I don't have any better pics but the install was super easy.

When you look at the lower plastic grill, just buy some washers that fit through horizontal width of the grid opening. The get some longer (2" or so) machine screws, nuts and locking washers. Nothing too heavy (No. 6 or 8). Make sure the washer's hole is large enough that the washer can be angled. If you leave the nut at the end of the screw, you should be able to just push the washer through the grid.
That's it. When you tighten it, the washer will lay flat against the grid without the ability to move/slip. Easy to do, more complicated to explain. Hope this makes sense... Make sure that all is stainless steel.

You can also raise the car and unscrew the plastic cover underneath the bumper. Then you have easy access.

Edit. Looks like you have a 63. Not sure which year but the AMG models have a different bumper with a smaller grid. If my method doesn't work, take the 2nd option.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-17-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:09 PM

SL63
Wow, that was 10 years ago. I don't have any better pics but the install was super easy.

When you look at the lower plastic grill, just buy some washers that fit through horizontal width of the grid opening. The get some longer (2" or so) machine screws, nuts and locking washers. Nothing too heavy (No. 6 or 8). Make sure the washer's hole is large enough that the washer can be angled. If you leave the nut at the end of the screw, you should be able to just push the washer through the grid.
That's it. When you tighten it, the washer will lay flat against the grid without the ability to move/slip. Easy to do, more complicated to explain. Hope this makes sense... Make sure that all is stainless steel.

You can also raise the car and unscrew the plastic cover underneath the bumper. Then you have easy access.

Edit. Looks like you have a 63. Not sure which year but the AMG models have a different bumper with a smaller grid. If my method doesn't work, take the 2nd option.
I get it now. Nut and washer attached to the bolt, then angle the washer to slide through the grille. Pull or tighten bolt to pull washer flat against the grille. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2023, 09:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
SL550
Smile Stupid front plates

Originally Posted by atpcfiaim
There’s really no getting around how sad a front plate is but at least you didn’t have to drill holes. It’s so stupid that the new digital plates in CA are only for the back. I was hoping for something cool and virtual to get around the front plate thing. I have used the dealer 30 day paper plate for about 5 years in a row now. Back only. I get FAR fewer tickets compared to using the real back plate only. It’s so odd. I’ve only got one , when i was given a parking ticket. But no snark on the expired paper plate. Registration is current obv. It’s esp funny because this car hasn’t been sold for 3 years. Don’t hex me now guys! I’m pretty sure CA can’t pull you over just for that-but I have a story ready to go just in case
Old 10-18-2023, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WuLaLa
There’s really no getting around how sad a front plate is but at least you didn’t have to drill holes. It’s so stupid that the new digital plates in CA are only for the back. I was hoping for something cool and virtual to get around the front plate thing. I have used the dealer 30 day paper plate for about 5 years in a row now. Back only. I get FAR fewer tickets compared to using the real back plate only. It’s so odd. I’ve only got one , when i was given a parking ticket. But no snark on the expired paper plate. Registration is current obv. It’s esp funny because this car hasn’t been sold for 3 years. Don’t hex me now guys! I’m pretty sure CA can’t pull you over just for that-but I have a story ready to go just in case
Last time we got a car in California, we told them not to install the front license plate holder. I think we needed to sign something so that they are off the hook...
The factory license plates setup on the AMG GT model is a thousand times worse than the SL ones. Here is a pic of how those look...

Old 10-18-2023, 10:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
SL550
Ugly front plates

Last time we got a car in California, we told them not to install the front license plate holder. I think we needed to sign something so that they are off the hook...
The factory license plates setup on the AMG GT model is a thousand times worse than the SL ones. Here is a pic of how those look...
whoa that is WILD. I live in CA but none of my 3 SL550’s had holes or mounts on it. The dealer presumably knows nobody wants basically metal braces and headgear on their grill

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Different Front License Plate mount