SL/R231: Location Of Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
Arrow Location Of Ignition Key

Normally, I don't watch that program called Fifth Gear but during tv commercials I sneaked it up and saw some bloke drove R231 SL350 ,being UK based program it was SL350 and RHD .I decided to take a look until test drive finishes off
What tickled my interest was he complaint about location of the ignition key , he demonstrated that you can accidentally turn off your engine by rubbing your knees against the key and he did it He said that car shifts into N when this happens and starts up the engine and get into D and drive it must be annoying
I said , why bother just order the car with KEYLESS GO option lol
So ,do you really think this might happen in your daily driving if you use your key instead of button ?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
I saw that show as well before buying my SL. Since I don't use the key I can't say that I thought about it since buying it. What I do think is not very ergonomic is the placement of the parking brake. If you think about it you have to use both hands to put the car in park, turn off the ignition and put on the parking brake. I never realized prior to this car that I kept my left hand on the steering wheel and turned everything off and set the brake with my right hand. Minor thing, but still could have been better designed. At least I have started just pressing P instead of putting the car in neutral and then pressing P which I did when I first got the car. All that to say the ergonomics of the car are good, but they could be better.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
I saw that show as well before buying my SL. Since I don't use the key I can't say that I thought about it since buying it. What I do think is not very ergonomic is the placement of the parking brake. If you think about it you have to use both hands to put the car in park, turn off the ignition and put on the parking brake. I never realized prior to this car that I kept my left hand on the steering wheel and turned everything off and set the brake with my right hand. Minor thing, but still could have been better designed. At least I have started just pressing P instead of putting the car in neutral and then pressing P which I did when I first got the car. All that to say the ergonomics of the car are good, but they could be better.
Parking brake? I haven't used the actual parking brake for a decade or so. Just press P and that's it. That said, I don't even know how to activate the parking brake on the SL. Need to check the manual

As with the park button on the lever, I personally like that. What I don't care for is that the car doesn't switch to P in certain situations (like BMW's do). For example, opening the door without the seatbelt on while in Drive or turning off the car while in Drive. BMW will automatically go into P.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Parking brake? I haven't used the actual parking brake for a decade or so. Just press P and that's it. That said, I don't even know how to activate the parking brake on the SL. Need to check the manual

As with the park button on the lever, I personally like that. What I don't care for is that the car doesn't switch to P in certain situations (like BMW's do). For example, opening the door without the seatbelt on while in Drive or turning off the car while in Drive. BMW will automatically go into P.
You must not park on slopes where you would like to keep the weight of the car off of the transmission like I do. The parking brake is electric and is on the left side below and to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Centexhokie
You must not park on slopes where you would like to keep the weight of the car off of the transmission like I do. The parking brake is electric and is on the left side below and to the left of the steering wheel.
No hills here Last time I used a parking brake was when living in Switzerland...

I just checked and there it was.