SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Traction Inoperative See Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL 550
Traction Inoperative See Owners Manual

Replaced the Master computer because they said it was malfunctioning. Now still having the same problem... I think this is my last Benz, I've had nothing but problems and am starting to feel like I have a piece of crap Range Rover!!!

Anyone else with this issue? I'm sick of being in the shop...
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
No, nothing like this. Obviously, even though they replaced something that supposedly was defective, it was not causative with the traction control! Too bad it has left a bad taste in your mouth. Any idea what they will try next?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 PM

2013 SL 550
No clue, sent an e-mail to my service guy as it happened again late last night and they are closed on Sundays. Will find out tomorrow, but I am not going in there on my second week of vacation again, I'm really getting tired of going there...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
What other problems have you had?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 PM

2013 SL 550
The transmission control unit was bad as well, the computer that controls the transmission, both problems are extremely dangerous when driving. See my previous posts.. The car would go into neutral while driving at high speeds while in D and cannot get out of it unless you pull over and shut the car off and back on.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Yes, I had that as well. There is a service bulletin for it. It does throw a code they can read and is fixable by a simple software patch. However, they have never sent out a letter telling owners to come in for the fix. Not good.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM

2013 SL 550
Mine wasn't software, it was the actual control module computer for the transmission they said!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 PM

2013 SL 550
Update, took the car back Monday and they said it was the faulty accelerator sensor that was bad now! Hopefully this will be it, keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
Hi Don & John

I'afraid your confidence in MBs ability to disclose the real problem with the 722.6 transmission to you is misplaced. They have known of this problem since 1996 and have no resolved the problem. It is a very serious one ad you can see fro my thread where I eventually had to sue MB and I proved that this problem existed though they denied it and Even attempted to interfere with the attendance of one of my witnesses but they failed and he attended and told the truth. Really this problem is a most serious one and will end up causing the death of some unsuspecting driver unless someone raises the problem with their public representative and have a full scale enquiry into why this problem is allowed to continue. We have had some serious scares and would love to dispose of this death trap but due to the problem being so well known out there purchasers are staying away from these cars. The authorities should be picking up on this problem in the interests of public safety. Hopefully some public representative out there somewhere in the world will take up the issue before someone gets badly hurt or even killed. If such a person exists then he can be assured of my fullest cooperation and I will make all my papers available to him/her which will show what shenanigans are going on in MB circles. Be careful - you are driving a serious death trap. Philip
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Philip317
Hi Don & John I'afraid your confidence in MBs ability to disclose the real problem with the 722.6 transmission to you is misplaced. They have known of this problem since 1996 and have no resolved the problem. It is a very serious one ad you can see fro my thread where I eventually had to sue MB and I proved that this problem existed though they denied it and Even attempted to interfere with the attendance of one of my witnesses but they failed and he attended and told the truth. Really this problem is a most serious one and will end up causing the death of some unsuspecting driver unless someone raises the problem with their public representative and have a full scale enquiry into why this problem is allowed to continue. We have had some serious scares and would love to dispose of this death trap but due to the problem being so well known out there purchasers are staying away from these cars. The authorities should be picking up on this problem in the interests of public safety. Hopefully some public representative out there somewhere in the world will take up the issue before someone gets badly hurt or even killed. If such a person exists then he can be assured of my fullest cooperation and I will make all my papers available to him/her which will show what shenanigans are going on in MB circles. Be careful - you are driving a serious death trap. Philip
You sound like a broken record discussing a transmission that is not in the R231. You are also not disclosing that you are in the UK and your model wasn't ever sold in the US. MB's in the US also have different warranties and customers have different consumer protection laws which make your issue somewhat irrelevant.

It's great to warn fellow forum members about an important safety issue but please keep it relevant to the car and country...
Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
I have never said that the transmission are unique to the R231 and if you read my emails you will see that I have referred to my experiences as bring related to the 722.6 transmission and that this problem had dated back as far as 1996. In fact this problem where the transmission goes into ' false neutral ' is also know to other models. You seem to be if th mistaken view that this problem relates to UK/European manufactured MB cars but again you are incorrect . It is a world wide problem and I have expert evidence to this affect.
Warranties / legal protection that you say that exists only in the US is irrelevant here because what we are talking about here is the fact that there is a well known serious defect with MB transmissions and they are doing sweet damn all to resolve it. You are fortunate if you are one of those who haven't had this frightening experience when your car stalls/ looses power with an on coming vehicle approaching. In fact it appears that you have not been reading the other emails from other members who have in fact encountered this problem in the US.

Talking about legal protection wherever you are doesn't hold very much with MB I'm afraid. We have very high standards in consumer law in Europe as well but that does not deter MB from blackguarding customers. In my case one of my Witneses was offered a financial incentive not to attend my case to give evidence and during my case I had to bring an Application to the High Court to commit the MB agent to jail for concealing a materially important document. Dirty tricks is an understatement when dealing with MB .
For you to suggest that I'm like a broken record as regards what I'm saying on this web site clearly shows that you are either oblivious as to what this transmission problem is all about, even though this problem has been mentioned by many members on this website over the years , or that you ae taking the simplistic approach that MB can do no wrong - all I hope is that you will not be a victim at the hands of a company that does not care about the safety of their loyal customers.

Last edited by Philip317; 02-17-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

The point I am making is you are attempting to scare people.
The 722.6 transmission is the 5 speed tranny in the cars built 10-15 years ago. Also, your Sl350? was never never imported into the US.

You are right that other models used that tranny but there has been no pervasive issues with it in the US.

Coincidentally the R231 7 speed transmission has had a software glitch that caused a similar shift issue, but neither is it denied or fought by MBUSA. They just fix it.
I personally prefer for these things to never occur but I expect a company to correct these issues wether in or out of warranty.

In my experience with MB, they always have. Plenty of parts were covered as a courtesy.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM

2013 MB SL550
I don't have your issue and though my dealership can't find why my parking sensors go off in the rain, Mercedes corporate I have found to be responsive especially with potential safety issues.

On the board here I made mention of premature wearing of the leather by the seat belt.

A MB rep contacted me without my contacting them to discuss the issue and verify it was not a safety issue with the seat belt so all in all, they went out of their way to contact me and discuss the issue and offered to act as a liason with the dealer if needed.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
Hi Florida Joe

Interesting what you say
What came out in evidence in my case by an MB rep that they were changing their strategy regarding dealing with their customers in that whereas they had a sympathetic approach to customers in the past but that were now adopting the aggressive approach as the soft approach was costing their Company too much. That was given in sworn testimony. Very interesting for such a prominent and distinguished car maker , especially when they were proved to be selling such a seriously defective vehicle. I'm afraid they have lost their standing as regards being a reputable and concerned auto manufacturer . All they are interested in doing now is trying to 'con ' people and to try and pass off the problems with their vehicles on to the car owners a,though they know such problems is of their making, as I proved in my case and with 3 other car owners with identical problems.
I even had to apply to commit their directors to jail for concealing relevant documents and they had to apologise to the Court.
Just wanted to let you know that I wouldn't trust that organisation as far as I would throw them!!
Take care
Philip

Last edited by Philip317; 03-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
No Wolfman, I'm not trying to scare people rather make people aware of the serious problem with these vehicles. For you to suggest that I am a scare manger is rather naive of you when you are clearly not aware of the problem . I have researched this defect over a period of 7 years and with the benefit of the experts I retained, I was able to prove that this serious defect exists. You clearly haven't been reading the various problems with the 722.6 transmission as have been related by others and which have been described from time to time in this Forum. To find yourself in one of their prestigious cars without any power with a car approaching, while you are endeavouring to overtake, is quite a scary experience. That is what was related by my 3 witnesses and myself to the Court and hence I find your response quite ridiculous. By any chance do you work for MB because the defensive approach you have taken on this topic notwithstanding the weight of evidence that is out there on this topic begs explanation.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

No Wolfman, I'm not trying to scare people rather make people aware of the serious problem with these vehicles. For you to suggest that I am a scare manger is rather naive of you when you are clearly not aware of the problem . I have researched this defect over a period of 7 years and with the benefit of the experts I retained, I was able to prove that this serious defect exists. You clearly haven't been reading the various problems with the 722.6 transmission as have been related by others and which have been described from time to time in this Forum. To find yourself in one of their prestigious cars without any power with a car approaching, while you are endeavouring to overtake, is quite a scary experience. That is what was related by my 3 witnesses and myself to the Court and hence I find your response quite ridiculous. By any chance do you work for MB because the defensive approach you have taken on this topic notwithstanding the weight of evidence that is out there on this topic begs explanation.
I don't diminish your personal situation, but you are posting in a R231 SL forum, which doesn't and never will have this ancient transmission. There is no relevance. Please post in the appropriate model forum.
Nobody here knows about the 722.6 tranny (which is the old 5-speed auto) and people will assume that they are impacted. I find that misleading; hence my scare comment.

Also, the UK is a tiny market for MB; perhaps they have some shady business practices which should be stopped. But I think many have pointed in various forums that this is just not the case in the US.

If you want to inform, please do, but stay specific to the relevant car/tech/market.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
Well Mr Wolfson I must say that you are a fascinating person. You say that the criticism I have levelled at the R230 has no relevance with the R231, yet you have made a comment on another section of this Forum saying that you found the R231 transmission very dangerous. How interesting! Lets be honest and frank and less critical of people who have a genuine reason to say what they have to say and not try a gag them because we after all live in a free world.Remember mr Wolfson , to thine own self be true.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well Mr Wolfson I must say that you are a fascinating person. You say that the criticism I have levelled at the R230 has no relevance with the R231, yet you have made a comment on another section of this Forum saying that you found the R231 transmission very dangerous. How interesting! Lets be honest and frank and less critical of people who have a genuine reason to say what they have to say and not try a gag them because we after all live in a free world.Remember mr Wolfson , to thine own self be true.
If you would care to read correctly, I even stated that in one of my prior responses to you. Then you would have also read that this was taken care of with a software update without hassle. Still, there is NO relevance between the 5 speed R230 and the R231. Different transmission. Simple as that! Not sure what is there to misunderstand.

I also stated, as have others, that I have owned a couple R230's for 11 years and never had an issue with the transmission.

Apart from your story, the reality of a modern car is one that is completely controlled by computers. Software plays a huge role and I have seen perfect cars going into limp mode due to a false sensor readjng. That was on a BMW btw. Hate it and blame it on the cars complexity but I won't call BMW a bunch of crooks.