SL/R231: Lowering SL550 no abc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
450slc, 300ce cab, r350
Lowering SL550 no abc

Hi Guys,

Very excited, just purchased a 2015 SL550, iridium silver / bengal red.. should be in by next week.

Wanted to get some insight into options for lowering springs. Was wondering if anyone is running the H&R springs or any other springs with the stock shocks and how is the ride etc ? Also, are there any other options other than the H&R.. quick google search, only pulled those up..

TIA ...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 698 Likes on 531 Posts
R Nine T
This is been recent news to me regarding the 231 cars that have ABC and do not. what percentage of the cars produced have it? Yes, what is everybody using besides rent check to lower their cars? Ha.

In looking at cars for sale, there is no mention usually of whether or not the car has ABC or not, it's strictly premium package one, AMG wheels etc. etc.

I've had ABC on my last three cars and even though it's been a little bit feisty $$ wise, what a great suspension it is when it works. I keep seeing here that it's listed and sold separately but I've never seen a window sticker to this day that shows what it costs and what cars it's on.

So if somebody could share some information on what it costs and what it drives like back to back, that would be helpful. Ty.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by M-ONE
Hi Guys,

Very excited, just purchased a 2015 SL550, iridium silver / bengal red.. should be in by next week.

Wanted to get some insight into options for lowering springs. Was wondering if anyone is running the H&R springs or any other springs with the stock shocks and how is the ride etc ? Also, are there any other options other than the H&R.. quick google search, only pulled those up..

TIA ...
Sorry M One. Just realized that this is your first post. Maybe let everybody know some background regarding yourself and how you came to be on this forum.

Wait how have you been a member since 2007 and no posts?!

Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I have been wondering about ABC myself. I believe it's about a 4K option but wonder if it's worth the money? Is it a maintenance headache?

I believe one fellow on here tried the lowering springs and was not that happy with them. Probably a bit too stiff on the ride.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:22 AM

450slc, 300ce cab, r350
I have been a member since 2007, just a light lurker... Caught the benz bug recently and bought my first benz in November with the s550 (love it !), picked up my second last month with the e350, and adding the 3rd with the SL... i hope to always have a s-class moving ahead.. I don't think anything compares....

Now back to lowering options
Old 04-17-2015, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,227 Likes on 2,008 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Hi Guys,

TIA ...
I have done that and regretted the lowering (wife hated the ride quality and bumper scraping on the driveway). Before lowering, the car was riding high like an SUV, but then way too low afterwards.

Like many others, having driven SL's with ABC for a dozen years it didn't even dawn on me that the new SL would have had springs. I picked up the car from the dealer and figured that it'll be easy to lower it.
But as you found out, there are only a few options. I bought the H&R sport springs for our BMW 7 series and the lowering was great with no change in ride comfort.
That wasn't the case with the SL which is already reasonably stiff. A bit too harsh afterwards.
I would explore maybe the Brabus springs but I think they have the same drop as the H&R's. Otherwise the best options will be coil-overs if they make them for the car.

Please take a look at the before/after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering SL550 no abc-dsc_2190.jpg   Lowering SL550 no abc-dsc_2339.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Patric
I have been wondering about ABC myself. I believe it's about a 4K option but wonder if it's worth the money? Is it a maintenance headache?

I believe one fellow on here tried the lowering springs and was not that happy with them. Probably a bit too stiff on the ride.
ABC is the best money spent on any option for the SL, hands down. Also rock solid; have not heard of anyone having had any issues with the current gen. ABC.
Only the 8-12 year old ones with earlier generation designs...

Complete no-brainer.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

This is how our SL with ABC looks now.
Lowered via an electronic lowering module to what I consider the proper stock height.
Drives great, perfect comfort, no bumper scrapes
Attached Thumbnails Lowering SL550 no abc-dsc_3938.jpg   Lowering SL550 no abc-dsc_3945.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ROMEO550
This is been recent news to me regarding the 231 cars that have ABC and do not. what percentage of the cars produced have it? Yes, what is everybody using besides rent check to lower their cars? Ha.

In looking at cars for sale, there is no mention usually of whether or not the car has ABC or not, it's strictly premium package one, AMG wheels etc. etc.

I've had ABC on my last three cars and even though it's been a little bit feisty $$ wise, what a great suspension it is when it works. I keep seeing here that it's listed and sold separately but I've never seen a window sticker to this day that shows what it costs and what cars it's on.

So if somebody could share some information on what it costs and what it drives like back to back, that would be helpful. Ty.
It's option 487. It's very rare to see ABC on SL's. I believe dealers feel that the people don't want to spend the money on something they can barely describe.

Here's a pic of the window sticker...
Attached Thumbnails Lowering SL550 no abc-sticker.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's option 487. It's very rare to see ABC on SL's. I believe dealers feel that the people don't want to spend the money on something they can barely describe.

Here's a pic of the window sticker...
Ty wolfman.

So you've clarified the fact that I really want ABC not just for the suspension handling but the damn ride height on the sprung car just is never going to be right

So now I need to find a 13 designo with one of those cool beige or brown interiors with ABC. This could take some time…
Old 04-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R231 - S400D W222 - C63S
Lowered via an electronic lowering module to what I consider the proper stock height.
Indeed, this is the perfect height. I will add this module to my shopping list
Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Nice.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
V221 / W211 / R231
Link or name of to the lowering module?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ICTdesign
Link or name of to the lowering module?
Renntech ELM V3
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/229
I like that I can quickly change the ride height to one of 4 presets (Android tablet or PC) or set each wheel in 1mm increments. There are other ones like the Kleemann (iPhone) or LoMo M1 (steering wheel controls - http://loweringmodule.com/index.php/...ingmodule.html) that go about that the same way. Both the Kleemann and LoMo have better quick connect harness options.

I had also used links (adjustableairride.com) on our R230 SL600 before, but it needed a full alignment and even then the tires were wearing on the inside.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Hi Guys,

TIA ...
Sorry to digress sir.

Doesn't look like many options on lowering but I may make a ride suggestion regarding the tires which made a huge difference on my CL 63.

Michelin super sports .....,.that's all you need to know and the only tire need to buy and it will totally change the way the vehicle drive especially when I believe they come with continental tires.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to digress sir.

Doesn't look like many options on lowering but I may make a ride suggestion regarding the tires which made a huge difference on my CL 63.

Michelin super sports .....,.that's all you need to know and the only tire need to buy and it will totally change the way the vehicle drive especially when I believe they come with continental tires.
Just FYI, great tire (highest rated for the SL by Tirerack who does a lot of testing). Have the Michelin PSS on the SL and love it.

Problem is that the correct tire size needed is not available for the 19"rear, but you can switch to a 295. Just make sure the load rating is ok.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Hi Guys,

TIA ...
Sorry to digress sir.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Just FYI, great tire (highest rated for the SL by Tirerack who does a lot of testing). Have the Michelin PSS on the SL and love it.

Problem is that the correct tire size needed is not available for the 19"rear, but you can switch to a 295. Just make sure the load rating is ok.
Yeah 10 mm no big deal. The question is did you go XL on the tire or not?

BTW search today for 13 or 14 couldn't find one ABC car
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
Yeah 10 mm no big deal. The question is did you go XL on the tire or not?

BTW search today for 13 or 14 couldn't find one ABC car
+1
Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 AM

450slc, 300ce cab, r350
thanks for the detailed reply guys.

Wolfman, your car and drop look great.. But that's exactly what I needed to know if the ride was going to be too jarring..

Might be a moot point for me right now anyway, as my dealer is playing games on locating me the car and pushing me to an sl400 (which I don't want) ... Or ordering is an option.. But takes away the enjoyment for this summer season ... None the less thank you ... If the deal get consummated I will post pics, hopefully lowered and with some nice wheels ...

Last edited by M-ONE; 04-18-2015 at 10:46 AM.