SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Sky1

I opened the engineering menu as explained in this thread/discussion. That explanation enabled me to open the front/rear fader and increase rear level. Only helps a little.
The speakers are on but a really bad system. MBZ and Harmon Kardon should be ashamed of this joke of an audio setup!

Have since added the supplemtary amp as described in detail (again in this discussion). Helped, but still not as good as what it should be on a car of this price/luxury level.

Even tried an additional amp, however the factory system rejected a second added amp.

Hope this helps
I see you are in So. CA, so am I. Did you do the amp install yourself or did you use a shop? If the latter, which shop?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by Sky1

I opened the engineering menu as explained in this thread/discussion. That explanation enabled me to open the front/rear fader and increase rear level. Only helps a little.
The speakers are on but a really bad system. MBZ and Harmon Kardon should be ashamed of this joke of an audio setup!

Have since added the supplemtary amp as described in detail (again in this discussion). Helped, but still not as good as what it should be on a car of this price/luxury level.

Even tried an additional amp, however the factory system rejected a second added amp.

Hope this helps

Is the following what you did to access the engineering menu for an SL? "Turn on the car to Accessory (don't start), then hold the red End Call, 1 and # keys on the command system at the same time for around 5-10 seconds." Mine is an '18 should year matter...

Last edited by SLclass; 02-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Question for those of you who understand all the 'quirks' of the 231 HK System....Mine is a 2013 model, but I would imagine all are the same.

Do you feel the 231's HK System sounds any better with the bass and treble levels turned up to their 'max' output levels, or do you recommend leaving the bass and treble settings in the neutral (middle) position? Does it even make enough difference to matter?

I happen to be deaf in one ear, so certainly not a very good judge of the 231's sound quality, however I think others here are also curious about the optimum settings for bass and treble. Accordingly, your thoughts and recommendations on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I recently turned up the bass and treble levels on my 231 a few clicks and it seemed to make somewhat of a difference when listening to Sirius XM Music at least. (Top was up at the time) I haven't tried turning the bass and treble to their max output levels yet, but thinking I should try that tomorrow during a Sunday Drive with the top down.

Any and all feedback on what HK bass and treble levels sound best to YOU will be greatly appreciated.

Note: Some people may acutally prefer to switch from 'Surround Sound ;Mode' to 'Stereo Mode' since the back speakers don't work well from most music sources anyway. Select 'sound' on the 231 radio to change modes from 'Surround' to 'Stereo'. This will place all the available sound in the front seat area with none lost to the ineffective rear speakers of the 231..

Last edited by bob55; 02-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550; BMW5; Bentley, CL550 Designo+every option
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I see you are in So. CA, so am I. Did you do the amp install yourself or did you use a shop? If the latter, which shop?
Used a Best Buy, easy install. As I said, it helps but don’t expect miracles. My opinion is the amp is almost a “work around” for an EXTREMELY poorly designed and engineered sound system.

The premium sound system option on my 5 series BMW is 10x better. Shameful for MBZ especially at this price point.

Best of luck should you upgrade the sound.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bob55
Question for those of you who understand all the 'quirks' of the 231 HK System....Mine is a 2013 model, but I would imagine all are the same.

Do you feel the 231's HK System sounds any better with the bass and treble levels turned up to their 'max' output levels, or do you recommend leaving the bass and treble settings in the neutral (middle) position? Does it even make enough difference to matter?

I happen to be deaf in one ear, so certainly not a very good judge of the 231's sound quality, however I think others here are also curious about the optimum settings for bass and treble. Accordingly, your thoughts and recommendations on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I recently turned up the bass and treble levels on my 231 a few clicks and it seemed to make somewhat of a difference when listening to Sirius XM Music at least. (Top was up at the time) I haven't tried turning the bass and treble to their max output levels yet, but thinking I should try that tomorrow during a Sunday Drive with the top down.

Any and all feedback on what HK bass and treble levels sound best to YOU will be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you do the engineering menu as suggested in this thread and add fader in menu. Adjust all to YOUR personal likes.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SLclass
Is the following what you did to access the engineering menu for an SL? "Turn on the car to Accessory (don't start), then hold the red End Call, 1 and # keys on the command system at the same time for around 5-10 seconds." Mine is an '18 should year matter...
Did the engineering menu months ago, and honestly can’t remember. All I recall is must do EXACTLY what the prior post said to do.
Suggest you follow the great detailed instructions provided in this thread.
Best of luck, it will help.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sky1:
allfortheunion (02-17-2019), SLclass (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
The engineering menu - "entry code" - might only work on HK equipped USA cars - deffo does not work on mine (standard system). Tried all the permutations.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
My SL is a 2013 and the engineering menu trick described in this thread worked for me. I suspect MB changed the trick in a subsequent model year. People indicating the trick didn't work all seem to have newer model cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmattioni:
Bitbytr (06-10-2022), rorywquin (02-22-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For the 'Best Sound Available' from your 231's (standard) Harman Kardon Logic-7 Sound System, here are (2) recommendations: (I do not feel it is necessary to change anything in the HK's 'Engineering Menu' as some people here have suggested).

Step 1 - First, go to 'Sound' using the Command System's Radio Settings and ensure that Logic-7 Surround is turned 'ON'.and also make sure the Balance Setting is in the Middle, (the neutral setting), so both Driver and Passenger enjoy the same sound experience.

Note: For certain audio sources, HK does recommend Surround be turned off, but it should normally be set to 'ON'.

Step 2 - Select the 'BASS' and 'TREBLE' Settings from the Command Radio Sound Menu and turn each ALL THE WAY UP TO THEIR 'MAXIMUM OUTPUTS', (or at least to a +8 setting if that particular setting is better for you). (You should immediately notice a significant increase in bass level sound output after doing this).

Once you've done th2 (2) things suggested above, please understand that's 'As Good As the HK Sound Quality Gets', and in my opinion, it actually sounds quite nice as long as Sirius XM, (Digital Satellite Music), is the Audio Source selected! These recommendations also apply for CD's, but DVD's played on the 231's HK system are a different type of media...(video media). See notes below regarding settings adjustments for DVD (video) media.

Notes about the CD's and DVD's that came with your 231:

The Mercedes-Benz Pop/Classical DVD is of course a Video Disc that comes with the 231, and upon loading it, you'll note that it comes up as video media, and instructs you to 'turn off' the HK Logic-7 Surround when you play it. In addition to that DVD, you should also have received a Harman Kardon Logic-7 Demo Disc with your 231. That latter one is a high quality CD and will therefore come up as AUDIO media when you load it. This HK disc is designed specifically to showcase HK's Logic-7 (Audio) Surround Sound.

Note: The HK Logic-7's 'Surround Sound' may NOT be as rich-sounding from conventional FM Radio Broadcasts, or other Auxiliary Input Music sources as it is when listening to Sirius XM Satellite Radio.. Also, Logic-7 Surround Sound must always be turned OFF when listening to AM Radio, which is a mono broadcast.

Note: The recommendations made above apply only to the 231's 'standard' Harman Kardon Logic-7 System and may NOT be applicable for the optional and very expensive, ($5,000), Bang & Olufsen Sound System.

Last edited by bob55; 03-01-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
This $5k boat anchor of a radio, and the fact that MB thinks it is acceptable in a $185k car, and doesn't even have the honor to admit it or try to remediate it in any way is why, when I found myself considering a new AMG SUV, I slapped myself hard across the face repeatedly until I regained my senses..

I LOVE DRIVING my AMG SL. But every single other aspect of dealing with MB and the dealer practices they endorse, from blatant rape on ROUTINE service, ridiculously obscene parts costs, and this premium audio system that would be embarassing were they to be even slightly less bald faced... this will be my last MB product. And I love the frikken car!

Not sure if I will even buy another hot car, though I am kinda smitten with the Trackhawk Jeeps.

Last edited by nycphotography; 02-28-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by nycphotography
This $5k boat anchor of a radio, and the fact that MB thinks it is acceptable in a $185 car, and doesn't even have the honor to admit it or try to remediate it in any way is why, when I found myself considering a new AMG SUV, I slapped myself hard across the face repeatedly until I regained my senses..

I LOVE DRIVING my AMG SL. But every single other aspect of dealing with MB and the dealer practices they endorse, from blatant rape on ROUTINE service, ridiculously obscene parts costs, and this premium audio system that would embarassing were they to be even slightly less bald faced... this will be my last MB product.

Not sure if I will even buy another hot car, though I am kinda smitten with the Trackhawk Jeeps.
Well, join the club. I have posted numerous, similar rants, but after all is said and done, I always find myself signing yet another long document with a 3-Pointed Star at the top of the page. Unless one is willing to step into the world of Genesis or some other huge neo-luxury car company that is pulling out all the stops to make customers feel like celebrities—such as Lexus did in the 1990’s—at the end of the day, I find MB dealers and MB corporate to be no worse than most all others, and actually much better in some respects. It’s a cut throat business, working on margins that most businesses would laugh at. The bottom line is that I love MB cars and, after really shopping around, driving every competitor vehicle, I feel most comfortable, safe, secure and happy with MB vehicles, warts and all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Bitbytr (06-10-2022), jetjok (02-24-2019), TennesseeZ4 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Streamliner

Well, join the club. I have posted numerous, similar rants, but after all is said and done, I always find myself signing yet another long document with a 3-Pointed Star at the top of the page. Unless one is willing to step into the world of Genesis or some other huge neo-luxury car company that is pulling out all the stops to make customers feel like celebrities—such as Lexus did in the 1990’s—at the end of the day, I find MB dealers and MB corporate to be no worse than most all others, and actually much better in some respects. It’s a cut throat business, working on margins that most businesses would laugh at. The bottom line is that I love MB cars and, after really shopping around, driving every competitor vehicle, I feel most comfortable, safe, secure and happy with MB vehicles, warts and all.
My sentiments exactly and well said to boot, Streamliner!
Frederick~

Last edited by SLclass; 02-28-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Streamliner (02-28-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 sl550 and 2015 S550
Wow problem solved - Alpine KTP450 amp is incredbile

Hi all, just recently purchased a 2013 SL550 and was disappointed when i went on my first ride with top down to realize the radio sound was terrible. At first i thought my rear speakers were blown, called dealer to schedule service saying my rear speakers seem fried. Their response was even more disappointing when they said your speakers are fine but not much volume comes out of them since they are in rear for surround sound only. The service advisor was honest though and did mention to me he heard customers working around this with installing an alpine amp. So I called my custom stereo shop Superior Auto Radio in Saugus MA asked for Billy explained to him what was happening he told me drop car off and he would take care of it. Wow was i amazed the difference in sound when i picked my car up later that day the sound that came out of speakers was loud crisp and very concert like. The owner billy was amazed to how great the alpine amp performed with the harmon kardon speakers in car sounded incredible. Also note he actually used the kta-450 alpine amp and while he connected the rear speakers to amp he also tested and connected the front speakers as well. Wow both he and i were speechless on the improvement to the sound in my car. My only other recommendation you may need to bring earplugs if your planning on turning it all the way up.need
Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by John LoPriore
Hi all, just recently purchased a 2013 SL550 and was disappointed when i went on my first ride with top down to realize the radio sound was terrible. At first i thought my rear speakers were blown, called dealer to schedule service saying my rear speakers seem fried. Their response was even more disappointing when they said your speakers are fine but not much volume comes out of them since they are in rear for surround sound only. The service advisor was honest though and did mention to me he heard customers working around this with installing an alpine amp. So I called my custom stereo shop Superior Auto Radio in Saugus MA asked for Billy explained to him what was happening he told me drop car off and he would take care of it. Wow was i amazed the difference in sound when i picked my car up later that day the sound that came out of speakers was loud crisp and very concert like. The owner billy was amazed to how great the alpine amp performed with the harmon kardon speakers in car sounded incredible. Also note he actually used the kta-450 alpine amp and while he connected the rear speakers to amp he also tested and connected the front speakers as well. Wow both he and i were speechless on the improvement to the sound in my car. My only other recommendation you may need to bring earplugs if your planning on turning it all the way up.need
Great story, thanks for posting it. Where did he mount the amp? How much did the whole thing cost?
Old 03-30-2019, 07:32 PM

2013 sl550 and 2015 S550
amp was mounted next to mercedes amp in back seat wall and it cost $750 which was 200 for amp 500 labor due to all the panels and work needed to access are necessary to install amp.
Streamliner (03-30-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by John LoPriore
amp was mounted next to mercedes amp in back seat wall and it cost $750 which was 200 for amp 500 labor due to all the panels and work needed to access are necessary to install amp.
welcome to the forum! please complete your profile so we'll know which car you have and where you live when you post. Superior Auto Radio is not far from me should I decide I want more volume.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
Hi John,

I'm from Ma and have been wanting to solve the "lack of rear sound from rear speaker issue" but, not wanting someone to work on my car w/o experience so.... great to get your info.

Few questions:

1) As there is no MB fader control available (only balance) @ the control panel did Superior give you (the user) ability to adjust fade F to R and if so can you adjust while driving and from where?..............................
2) You mention "amp was mounted next to mercedes amp in back seat wall". Where exactly is the amp, is it on back seat wall in the trunk or in the storage area behind the drivers seat or in compartment behind the passenger (be great if in the trunk assuming fade feature can be accessed by operator in the cab)............................
3) You state front speakers connected as well and I wonder why this was needed and again how is fader feature controlled?...................................
4) How long did it take (I would need to wait while work is done) and will they allow waiting?..................................
5) Did any panels need to be removed; if so which panels and was there any damage?......................................
6) Is there any exposed wiring?................................
7) Do you get a better spatial sound feeling when sound coming from the rear?...........................
8) Did Superior have any idea as to why HK built the system as they did w/o fader control???.........................

THANKS in advance for your responses

Steve
Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 PM

2013 sl550 and 2015 S550
call billy 781 231 5110 superior radio he did work and can do same to your car and is awesome explaining all of what your asking me which is above my pay grade lol
Old 04-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Hi John,

Tx for the tip, I'm in touch with Bill and will let everyone know how it goes.

Steve
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by steve sl550
Hi John,

Tx for the tip, I'm in touch with Bill and will let everyone know how it goes.

Steve
I would really like to know which panels need to be removed. I'm quite sure that these car audio guys really know how to improve the system. I'm VERY concerned that leather & other items may become damaged.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Hi Streamliner,

I too was leery but, I'm basing decision to go with "Superior" on John's recommendation, fact that they are an Alpine Flagship Specialist and family owned business for over 31 yrs with many all 5 star reviews on Yelp.

I'll update after the install that is scheduled for this Thursday.

Will be great for us guys here in Massachusetts with SLs to know about Superior assuming all goes well as I expect it will.

Steve
Old 04-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Can anything be done for the door speakers? I have not seen this mentioned, but nothing much seems to be coming out of them either.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2018 GLS450, 2017 SL63 AMG, 2021 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
bob55 - Thanks to you and others who take the time to post "instructional moments" for those of us new to the R231 model. I took delivery of a MY17 CPO SL63 just last week. Sure enough, after reading your thread I said "I'm sure during the CPO process that the radio settings for my HK system would be "proper" ... that said, I brought your note to the vehicle and sure enough, the Logic-7 Surround Sound system was OFF .... go figure
Thanks again, keep 'em coming
Steve
Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for mentioning that Steve....Just goes to show that you can never take anything for granted when it comes to the car's 'settings', and if Logic-7 Surround Sound is turned 'OFF' then of course, you can only get 'stereo sound' from the HK system.

I have found that Increasing the standard 'factory setting' levels for bass and treble can help improve sound too!

I listen almost exclusively to Sirius XM, (Digital Satellite Radio Music), and I find that setting the bass and treble output levels to +8 delivers better bass and 'high note' sound definition.

Last edited by bob55; 04-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 SL 450
Originally Posted by greatkoei
Thanks to jetjok, I got mine done today at Bestbuy Pasadena, CA.

I was at my local Bestbuy first, and the technician took 3 hours to determine he wasn't confident enough to finish the job even though he consulted with Jeff (or his partner) who worked on jetjok's car. Apparently there is a master installer in each area, who is more knowledgeable of installations like this. The master installer happens to be in Pasadena for LA area, and his name is Eddy.

Then I scheduled an appointment with him, and Eddy finished the job in 2 hours.

Now the speakers do perform like a sound system in 100k+ car should. I am not an audiophile, but the difference is significant. I can't be happier with the result, and I highly recommend anyone who owns a 231 to fix this issue. You won't regret it. The standard charge is $119.99+5 material fee. The amplifier costs $149.99 in Bestbuy.
What Year / Model was you car -- and Do you have any additional contact information for who exactly did the work? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!