SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by JK417
To Springer19, I just added the Weistec tune. 540 hp, but monster Torque at 615! Now the car embarrasses others that pull up. It is the torque that comes on at a low 1500 rpm. Just contact Moe at Weistec. You will not be sorry.
How much money for this tune?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 550 Mille Miglia 2016, Nissan GTR Aniversary #44/50, Mustang GT500 2014(800hp)
1500 for the tune. See the Weistec site. Also it is 540 bph at the crank. Plenty of power. To get back to the speaker upgrade, my installer suggested the floor subwoofers since at higher volume levels, there may be distortion from the rear speakers now after the Alpine amp fix. I will let you know and post picks. I am not going for booming base, but I like my 80's tunes on the loud side!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
1500 for the tune. See the Weistec site. Also it is 540 bph at the crank. Plenty of power. To get back to the speaker upgrade, my installer suggested the floor subwoofers since at higher volume levels, there may be distortion from the rear speakers now after the Alpine amp fix. I will let you know and post picks. I am not going for booming base, but I like my 80's tunes on the loud side!
Not a bad price, and good information. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I went to Best Buy today, and apparently there are no master installers in San Francisco, East Bay, South Bay, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc. There was one in San Jose earlier this year, but he left and they haven't hired anyone since. They did recommend that only a master installer should install the Alpine amp in my SL, or that I should look for a high-end car stereo store.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:22 AM

SL 550 Mille Miglia 2016, Nissan GTR Aniversary #44/50, Mustang GT500 2014(800hp)
If you still are considering BB, try have the tech call one that has done the install. I used the BB in Albany and Bill who is the senior tech there did the install after calling the BB near DC (posted by another member). I do not think the installer in Albany is a master installer(does not travel to other stores), but he was excellent in installing mine after calling the tech in DC. Just a suggestion. From what Bill told me and peaking at the install from time to time, it can be done by removing the door scuff plates and the rear enclosures only. There were one or two tricky bolts to remove. Even with the pointers received from calling, it took almost 3 hours. I also had this guy prewire for future upgrades such as two underseat JBL basspro's which will be installed this Tuesday.

Last edited by JK417; 09-16-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' SL65
Can someone share the wiring diagram for the BO amplifier with me? I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 SL550
Originally Posted by luvofspeed
Can someone share the wiring diagram for the BO amplifier with me? I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find it.
I only saw the BB tech disassemble the storage box located behind the driver's seat. I guess all the wires are located there. Sorry.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:38 AM

13' SL65
Originally Posted by springer19
I only saw the BB tech disassemble the storage box located behind the driver's seat. I guess all the wires are located there. Sorry.
Thank you, that gives me a starting point. Just to confirm, do you have the B&O system?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 AM

2017 SL550
Originally Posted by luvofspeed
Thank you, that gives me a starting point. Just to confirm, do you have the B&O system?
Nope..I got the Harmon system in it.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM

13' SL65
Originally Posted by springer19
Nope..I got the Harmon system in it.
ok, thanks. I guess i'll find out shortly if the amp is in the same location.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 PM

13' SL65
For my R231 with B&O system, the amplifier is in the trunk. A Mercedes mechanic from the local dealership wrote down the rear speaker color codes for me, but they were totally off. I'm still having trouble figuring it out, but at least I found where the amp is.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 PM

I have the HK system. Why not call BB and see? The installer at BB at Albany Crossgates Mall was able to wire JBL subs and an Alpine amp without any problems. BB techs talk between stores about the installs. You just have to find a tech willing to do this. I also had a radar detector hard wired for a seamless and hidden look. I only paid their set price. It would have taken me a whole day and would have no warranty.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 PM

2017 SL550
I have the HK system. Why not call BB and see? The installer at BB at Albany Crossgates Mall was able to wire JBL subs and an Alpine amp without any problems. BB techs talk between stores about the installs. You just have to find a tech willing to do this. I also had a radar detector hard wired for a seamless and hidden look. I only paid their set price. It would have taken me a whole day and would have no warranty.

I ordered last week the air intake filter kit from Ultimate. I asked them, to sell me just the hardware since I was going to use some K&M filters and they responded by saying that their filkters fgave them 6 more HP in a dyno than any others and they would lower the price from $450 to $400. I took it.
The kit arrived today and after I instyalled it, I have to say that the accelaration response is much quicker. It won't blow you away but you can ddefinitley feel the difference. Thanks to all in this thread for your ideas. It's been great.
Now I am just waiting for my rear spoiler from Carid. I think it'll give it a more sporty look. Later, I'll do they Weistec tune and maybe some rims....We'll see
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by seascape
I went to Best Buy today, and apparently there are no master installers in San Francisco, East Bay, South Bay, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc. There was one in San Jose earlier this year, but he left and they haven't hired anyone since. They did recommend that only a master installer should install the Alpine amp in my SL, or that I should look for a high-end car stereo store.
Contact Ava or Brian at KarTunz in Pleasanton. They did mine and are excellent. They mount the Alpine on top of the factory amp and the controls are easily access. Top flight shop.
The following users liked this post:
seascape (09-25-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 AM

Thanks. So far the mods are great. My car came with a carbon rear spoiler on the trunk, so you will see how much the look is improved by adding it. Let me know if Weistec can get more hp/tq from the airbox mod-I may need an update. One guy on this forum got 50 tq on an SL 63 AMG on the dyno from this air box mod.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Honda Prelude
JBL Underseat Subwoofers and Audiocontrol LC2i

Hey guys, I was pointed towards this thread after a recent install for a client. He mentioned that this was a common complaint with these vehicles and the HK audio system; "the rear speakers aren't loud enough and there's not enough bass."

This is the case unfortunately more often than not with premium sound systems. They lack the definition we desire and even more importantly lack the flexibility to make adjustments.

Alpine makes a small 4 channel digital amplifier that works great in almost any scenario when a simple power boost is required.

For this vehicle (2015 sl 550 with h/k system) I simply interrupted the rear speaker lines, wired them to the inputs on the ktp-445u and then connected its outputs back to the speakers. The rear half of the vehicle does need to be removed to access the wires needed for install. There is a plenty of space behind the fuse box to mount the powerpack and since it is a digital amplifier it does not create much heat. Power, ground, and acc power can all be grabbed at this fuse box location rear passenger side too.

For this client, I also added 2 under the seat JBL BassPro 150watt 8" powered subwoofers. (one under each seat) They were a tight fit, but from the options I've seen these were the best ones to go with.

To ensure they were receiving a solid bass input, we installed an Audiocontrol LC2i sound processor. This system ties into the factory subwoofer lines and then corrects any imperfections or limitations in the signal. It also uses a signal-sensing turn-on to tell the JBL amps when to activate. I tied this into the alpine unit as well to eliminate any turn on pops from the rear speakers or subwoofers.

It is a high-level install but very do-able for an Advanced or Master MECP certified technician and the results are worth the time and money for sure!

Install for the powerpack itself would normally be around $400 plus tax. Install for the 2 JBL under seat powered subwoofer would normally be around $1100 plus tax. Price will vary depending on parts chosen but I can email estimates and parts lists if requested.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, sorry I don't have more pictures.

Last edited by G33ksquad; 09-22-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: pictures were broken
Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Thanks for posting picks, that is my install. The sound now is 10x better, and the subs are removable at any time. If you live near the Albany NY area, this is where you should have the install done. Drop it off, watch a movie at mall's theatre and pick it up when it is done!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Are the BassPro speakers actually UNDER the seats? If so, does this prevent the seats from moving to their lowest positions? I ask, as I am over 6' and usually drive with the seat as low as it will go. If the speakers are BEHIND the seat backs, that would hinder the recline adjustment. Please elaborate. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 PM

The BassPros are partially under the seats for better sound. They are positioned so the bass is directed to your ear when the seat is in the driving position. When the seat is completely down, the sub moves a little, mainly from the redundant leather cover hanging under the seat bottom. I would imagine if you took the seat off, you could permanently install one and secure it to the floor using bolts. That would further reduce the height but is more work. Someone else on this forum installed one directly under one seat and said it fit. You could install just one on the passenger side like mine and not worry about the driver's seat. Also you can call the tech in Albany and ask him what he thinks is possible. I will tell you the sound is amazing
Old 09-24-2017, 11:36 AM

13' SL65
So, in the B&O system, the amp is in the trunk. I was able to locate the wires for both driver's and passenger door speakers and subwoofers that are attached to the firewall in front of the foot compartments. I ran the Alpine to increase the power to all 4 of these, and the bass sounds 1000X better and the overall power of the system is much improved.

I was still unable to isolate speaker wires running to the rear speakers. I don't think the rear speakers are running off the same amplifier as the rest. I believe the amplifier that I found in the trunk is the 4 channel ICEpower Amplifier. I know that there is also an 8-channel DSP Amplifier somewhere in the car. I wonder if the rear speakers are running off that second amplifier? I also can not find the location of that second amplifier. Any thought?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MercedesamgSLpdf (1).pdf (723.5 KB, 962 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 PM

2017 SL550
I ordered a spoiler from IdCar for $650 (painted). It arrived today. Just finished placing it and my 2017 SL550 looks AWESOME...so happy. Thanks JK417
Now on to Weistec tuning and some black rims....
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM

No problem. Black wheels look great. My car is the Mille Miglia edition so it has the black matte AMG wheels with the red trim. As far as the technical wiring of the speaker upgrade, I defer to the BB tech who posted on the thread.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:18 AM

Has anyone had this done at a Best Buy in Houston? If so, please let me know which one etc

Also, by doing this, how big of a change does one notice?

Will playing music from an iPhone or radio sound anything close to how it does when the dvd-audio disc that came with the car is played??

Btw - has anyone found a way to mirror their iPhone on the command system so we can play google maps on it?

thanks

Last edited by texasplayer; 01-17-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by texasplayer
Has anyone had this done at a Best Buy in Houston? If so, please let me know which one etc

Also, by doing this, how big of a change does one notice?

Will playing music from an iPhone or radio sound anything close to how it does when the dvd-audio disc that came with the car is played??

Btw - has anyone found a way to mirror their iPhone on the command system so we can play google maps on it?

thanks
The difference is day and night. You will notice it immediately. I'd say it beats DVD-audio but YMMV

Re mirror the phone, see this post https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...g-hd-link.html
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM

sl550
I stopped at Best Buy and the installation is no longer $115 for the SL550 is up to $250 for our car. Can anyone tell me if the HK amplifier is in the trunk and are the speaker wires accessible from the amp. I was hoping not to rip apart the interior is not needed. Also is it as simple as tapping into the rear speaker wires and routing them to the new amp or is it more involved. With normal cd or mp3 do the rear speakers work at all? If not tapping into speakers would not make any difference. To sum it up the Alpine unit does not connect to the head unit at all it just connects to the 3 speakers in the rear and amplifies that signal with a fixed gain that you preset on the amp is that correct?

Last edited by genolan; 02-18-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added more

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!