SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Road Trip!!!!

Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Road Trip!!!!

I just finished an eight day, 1,500 mile road trip from Tennessee, down through Georgia, into central Florida and back up through Alabama. My SL550 was an absolute blast to drive over that time period. In full disclosure, I hate interstates. So my travels put me on a any number of highways and local roads that were just that, local. Speed ranged from 'Damn it, I-75 is at a dead stop', to a goodly number of bursts into triple digits where the opportunity presented itself. I had folks at gas stations, hotels, rest stops, all asking, 'How do you like that car?'; 'what is that car?'; and of course the ever popular 'How fast does it go?'. Running across central Alabama on some of the smoothest two-lane, winding blacktop I have ever experienced with one of the new Honda Civic hot rods, I was reminded that the SL is really a very composed vehicle at speed. Or meandering through Tallahassee, it really showed the polish and poise necessary to move about in a City environment. There was room for my golf clubs, camera bag, and other stuff. I came full circle to the reality that this is really the reason that I have purchased this vehicle, to do road trips. And to do those trips in comfort, while eating huge chunks of tarmac in the process. Not once did the SL blink, hiccup, or fail to deliver what was asked of it. Yes, I know that Southerners are somewhat sequestered with the big tired pick-em-up truck, and the grandmother's old Oldsmobile, or the 'Vette up on blocks outside the trailer, but one thing that I came to realize is that while we may take the SL ownership experience for granted, it remains a vehicle that instills a sense of wonder in a viewing audience that may not often see, or never see, another like it. We may all cast some dispersions on the SL related to specific areas that we believe are lacking, or in comparison to other 'super cars', but this car is all that I had hoped for when I purchased it; delivering a sensational driving experience across a wide range of challenges. I can think of no other car that would have made this trip, and done it in the style that the SL did. On one 350 mile leg, my average speed was 68 MPH, and my fuel consumption was 27.1 mpg. I know that I get bogged down in the day to day stuff that we do at home, and when I get to 'drive', it seems like a couple of hours at the most. This car was built for more that that. Drive these cars, enjoy the experience. And when they ask, 'how fast will it go?', be sure to leave that spectre of anticipation in your answer. One fine motor car, I am now planning my next excursion, Kentucky bourbon trail and ponies at Keeneland. Drive on!

Last edited by TennesseeZ4; 02-24-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: wording
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
I just finished an eight day, 1,500 mile road trip from Tennessee, down through Georgia, into central Florida and back up through Alabama. My SL550 was an absolute blast to drive over that time period. In full disclosure, I hate interstates. So my travels put me on a any number of highways and local roads that were just that, local. Speed ranged from 'Damn it, I-75 is at a dead stop', to a goodly number of bursts into triple digits where the opportunity presented itself. I had folks at gas stations, hotels, rest stops, all asking, 'How do you like that car?'; 'what is that car?'; and of course the ever popular 'How fast does it go?'. Running across central Alabama on some of the smoothest two-lane, winding blacktop I have ever experienced with one of the new Honda Civic hot rods, I was reminded that the SL is really a very composed vehicle at speed. Or meandering through Tallahassee, it really showed the polish and poise necessary to move about in a City environment. There was room for my golf clubs, camera bag, and other stuff. I came full circle to the reality that this is really the reason that I have purchased this vehicle, to do road trips. And to do those trips in comfort, while eating huge chunks of tarmac in the process. Not once did the SL blink, hiccup, or fail to deliver what was asked of it. Yes, I know that Southerners are somewhat sequestered with the big tired pick-em-up truck, and the grandmother's old Oldsmobile, or the 'Vette up on blocks outside the trailer, but one thing that I came to realize is that while we may take the SL ownership experience for granted, it remains a vehicle that instills a sense of wonder in a viewing audience that may not often see, or never see, another like it. We may all cast some dispersions on the SL related to specific areas that we believe are lacking, or in comparison to other 'super cars', but this car is all that I had hoped for when I purchased it; delivering a sensational driving experience across a wide range of challenges. I can think of no other car that would have made this trip, and done it in the style that the SL did. On one 350 mile leg, my average speed was 68 MPH, and my fuel consumption was 27.1 mpg. I know that I get bogged down in the day to day stuff that we do at home, and when I get to 'drive', it seems like a couple of hours at the most. This car was built for more that that. Drive these cars, enjoy the experience. And when they ask, 'how fast will it go?', be sure to leave that spectre of anticipation in your answer. One fine motor car, I am now planning my next excursion, Kentucky bourbon trail and ponies at Keeneland. Drive on!
Really enjoyed the read! Very nice to hear from someone who actually gets it! Thank you! I love mine too!
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 SL550
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
I share your sentiments exactly. It's not a beautiful car but it is a very good one and surprisingly versatile. It does what it was designed to do extremely well. The biggest surprise is the excellent mileage for a car with +400 hp. It's my DD but you're right, it's best for road trips. We have plans for a drive up the California coast. Can't wait.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
[QUOTE=putter;7389829............... It's not a beautiful car but .................[/QUOTE]

What!!! It is gorgeous.

I do agree with the OP's comments.....

I did the PCH starting in San Diego all the way to Vancouver in 2015....absolutely fabulous holiday....my mistake was to do it in a RV -- was great but next time, it will be a convertible and motels.....

I did a trip, in my SL, to Germany in 2017 and also a long trip up to Scotland 2 months before that - the car was brand new to me which in a way spoiled the trips but man oh man what a car on the open road. Got it up to 150mph on the Autobahn (had to slow down for traffic) and it just sits as if you are doing 80 (and the roof was down). On the French motorways the speed is ~81mph and the SL just eats up the miles.

I find that in C or CV (civilised modes) mine is easily getting over 30mpg even on short trips (bearing in mind that a UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons).

Now that I'm a lot more familiar with the car (but still under 10,000 miles) I'm really looking forward to my planned trips this summer (and I'm trying to squeeze in a holiday to Texas and Colorado).

This year, I hopefully I'll do these trips in the SL ....

1) A trip to Ireland.
2)A trip to Switzerland and hopefully down the Stelvio pass
https://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-1...route_ID=30003
en route to the
Millau Viaduct in the south of France and then home.
https://about-france.com/millau-viaduct.htm

Just have some unexpected visitors coming from far away and an expected death in the family to sort our before I can finalise my plans.

Last edited by rorywquin; 02-25-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
When you get the SL Fever the only cure is a long, long driver!
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
rorywquin (02-25-2018), TennesseeZ4 (02-25-2018)