SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Heated and Cooled Seat Memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Heated and Cooled Seat Memory

I have noticed that when I enter or exit the car....SOMETIMES the seat ventilation will be on where I left it and USUALLY it will not. It seams random to me but I assume there is something I am doing to trigger it? I never notice the heated seats being on when I return? I have read the manual cover to cover and can't explain this behavior. Anyone know what the rules are or Heated or Cooled Seat memory?

Is it when I lock the car with the key fob perhaps? Or if it was on when I save the seat memory?
Old 04-29-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I have a somewhat similar problem in that if I lower the top with the key Fob when nearing the car the driver's seat cooling fan comes on. I have searched the manual and can't find a way to turn that function off. And it's not because I had the seat cooling on when I parked it.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
As far as I know, this is normal behavior for these cars. It's also not well documented, and none of the salesman, even the ones that really know our cars, knows about it. It happens in my SL and it happened in the last two E Cabs that I've owned. I believe that Mercedes' assumption is if you're opening either the top, or the windows, from the outside, using the Fob, then it's probably hot in the interior, and so the drivers seat cooling fan comes on. It has nothing to do with any switch position.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
Yes its an automatic feature. If you lower the top with the key fob it is set to turn the cooling seat feature. They probably figure the car is hot from being closed up and they want to start the cooling fan to keep you from getting to hot when you get in.