SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: In the market for new SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
It's shocking to hear that 231 SL's have problems with both their radio options, the ride quality suffers without ABC, and no 'donut' spare option is offered in case of a flat. (Meanwhile the 'run flat' tire option with the 19 inch wheels only makes ride quality worse). These are shameful flaws for a $100K+ Mercedes-Benz Flagship Vehicle!

Seems SL's are just not what they used to be! Why the heck would MB allow these such obvious shortcomings in one it's flagship vehicles?. Seems the 'Best or Nothing' slogan has not been adhered to with the current 231 series SL Class, despite the high 'premium quality', (Flagship level), pricing!

Was seriously thinking of buying one, but given what I've learned, I'll pass on it now!

Last edited by bob55; 07-23-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by bob55
It's shocking to hear the 231 SL's have problems with both their radio options, the ride quality without ABC suffers, and no 'donut' spare option is available in case of a flat. Seems the run flat tire option combined with the 19 inch wheels only make ride quality worse. Such a shame!

Seems SL's are not what they used to be! Just why would you allow such flaws in one of your flagship products, Mercedes-Benz? Makes no sense!
I don't have run flats - 12v compressor with a can of stuff that you connect up and re-inflate the wheel. No radio problems - but it is early days.

I think it is like everything else - you only hear from the 1/1000 unhappy people.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
It's shocking to hear the 231 SL's have problems with both the radio options, the ride quality without ABC, no donut spare option in case of a flat etc, etc. Seems SL's are just not what they used to be! Just why do you allow such flaws in one of your flagship products, Mercedes-Benz?
Man, you are so right! With something like ABC in the parts bin, there is no way MB ever should have dropped ABC as being standard equipment on the R231's. The sound system issue should have been dealt with swiftly and decisively, retrofitting all 2013's and making the changes in the 2014 model year, but the same, damn problem was allowed to continue and fester until today. Insane! All across the MB line, this idiotic insistence on going with run flat tires, as a substitute for a spare is, to me, just absolute lunacy! I happen to have one other issue that has really bothered me since the R231 was first imported to the US, and that is the fact that MBUSA decided to only import the R231's with the AMG Sports Package, which to me, gave the car its ungainly, unattractive front end. In Germany and other countries, the standard R231's came with what I still feel is a very attractive front end treatment, but here in the US, we were never allowed to have it. Here is a photo showing the white car with the AMG Sports Pkg. and the copper colored car with the beautiful non-AMG Sports Pkg. front end that we were never allowed to have. To anyone thinking about this, it is very evident that MB and MBUSA just don't seem to have cared that much about the SL between 2013 and current production. They truly have treated the marketing of this fabulous car in the US like it was an afterthought. No wonder sales have been way off. All that said, IMO, there is still nothing that comes close to the SL for the money.

Last edited by Streamliner; 07-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Man, you are so right! With something like ABC in the parts bin, there is no way MB ever should have dropped ABC as being standard equipment on the R231's. The sound system issue should have been dealt with swiftly and decisively, retrofitting all 2013's and making the changes in the 2014 model year, but the same, damn problem was allowed to continue and fester until today. Insane! All across the MB line, this idiotic insistence on going with run flat tires, as a substitute for a spare is, to me, just absolute lunacy! I happen to have one other issue that has really bothered me since the R231 was first imported to the US, and that is the fact that MBUSA decided to only import the R231's with the AMG Sports Package, which to me, gave the car its ungainly, unattractive front end. In Germany and other countries, the standard R231's came with what I still feel is a very attractive front end treatment, but here in the US, we were never allowed to have it. Here is a photo showing the white car with the AMG Sports Pkg. and the copper colored car with the beautiful non-AMG Sports Pkg. front end that we were never allowed to have. To anyone thinking about this, it is very evident that MB and MBUSA just don't seem to have cared that much about the SL between 2013 and current production. They truly have treated the marketing of this fabulous car in the US like it was an afterthought. No wonder sales have been way off. All that said, IMO, there is still nothing that comes close to the SL for the money.

Re. the ABC. I liked it on my 2008 SL550 and I appreciated its capabilities when I wanted to push the car through the bends. That said, the majority of owners are not going to drive the car like that and won't need the ABC, so I have no problem with MB offering it as an extra; at least they kept it as an option. This time around I want more of a comfortable long distance gt cruiser, so I chose to not have ABC on my new-to-me R231 as I didn't want the potential maintenance headaches down the road.

Re. the looks. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if we all liked the same thing then the world would be a very boring place. Of the two, I happen to prefer the AMG look, even though the grilles are getting close to the Lexus "Spindle" look, which I hate. Let's hope that the R232? returns to a look that we can all drool over.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Personally I like both styles, but I have to add, unless you belong to Leno's MMTB club don't buy new. That is unless you decide to keep it for a long time. My '16 SL has depreciated more than 40% of the original MSRP. Check for your self. A Chevy has better resale. Flame on.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
It's shocking to hear that 231 SL's have problems with both their radio options, the ride quality suffers without ABC, and no 'donut' spare option is offered in case of a flat. (Meanwhile the 'run flat' tire option with the 19 inch wheels only makes ride quality worse). These are shameful flaws for a $100K+ Mercedes-Benz Flagship Vehicle!

Seems SL's are just not what they used to be! Why the heck would MB allow these such obvious shortcomings in one it's flagship vehicles?. Seems the 'Best or Nothing' slogan has not been adhered to with the current 231 series SL Class, despite the high 'premium quality', (Flagship level), pricing!

Was seriously thinking of buying one, but given what I've learned, I'll pass on it now!
So much whining...

Since when is MB required to provide ABC for free on all SL’s? As stated, it just became an option one can choose to select. No shortcoming here.

In regards to the spare tire, time and tech moves on. Virtually everything on cars has changed due to passive/active/pedestrian safety, fuel efficiency and pollution reduction requirements/laws. That includes the spare tire and the use of run flats.
I hate those and always replace them with conventional tires and a tire fix kit. Just like what our 2003 SL55 had... Yet few people bothered to notice.

I didn’t know there was a radio issue on these cars. What would that be?

That said this SL is the best SL made to date. One can argue over design but technically and performance-wise, this model tops the rest.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-23-2018 at 09:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
rorywquin (07-24-2018), TennesseeZ4 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Re. the ABC. I liked it on my 2008 SL550 and I appreciated its capabilities when I wanted to push the car through the bends. That said, the majority of owners are not going to drive the car like that and won't need the ABC, so I have no problem with MB offering it as an extra; at least they kept it as an option. This time around I want more of a comfortable long distance gt cruiser, so I chose to not have ABC on my new-to-me R231 as I didn't want the potential maintenance headaches down the road.
IMO, ABC is more about cruising and GT comfort than all round high speed performance. CV mode, cross wind function, levelling of the car accelerating and braking, reduced body roll on twisty roads and manoeuvring, the smoothness of the ride etc........springs cannot provide this.

My indie was in a MB dealer workshop for 25 years until he started his own business (do MB maintenance & service). I asked him about ABC issues and he could not recall it being an issue. Was surprised when I mentioned all the internet discussion. I think the issues reported on line are blown out of proportion & we only hear from the 1/1000 grumblers.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Wolfman

So much whining...

Since when is MB required to provide ABC for free on all SL’s? As stated, it just became an option one can choose to select. No shortcoming here.

In regards to the spare tire, time and tech moves on. Virtually everything on cars has changed due to passive/active/pedestrian safety, fuel efficiency and pollution reduction requirements/laws. That includes the spare tire and the use of run flats.
I hate those and always replace them with conventional tires and a tire fix kit. Just like what our 2003 SL55 had... Yet few people bothered to notice.

I didn’t know there was a radio issue on these cars. What would that be?

That said this SL is the best SL made to date. One can argue over design but technically and performance-wise, this model tops the rest.
AMEN.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by RocketBoots

Re. the looks. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if we all liked the same thing then the world would be a very boring place. Of the two, I happen to prefer the AMG look, even though the grilles are getting close to the Lexus "Spindle" look, which I hate. Let's hope that the R232? returns to a look that we can all drool over.
And then you have the face lift with AMG styling which is better than both the others (but then, I'm biased

Last edited by rorywquin; 07-24-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Originally Posted by rorywquin
And then you have the face lift with AMG styling which is better than both the others (but then, I'm biased
I prefer your front end, as well. If you don't mind me asking, what is the capacity of that larger fuel tank (in gallons). We don't have an optional tank in the U.S...
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
I prefer your front end, as well. If you don't mind me asking, what is the capacity of that larger fuel tank (in gallons). We don't have an optional tank in the U.S...
We get 65L (~17USg) as standard and 75L (~20 USg) is the larger tank.

Last edited by rorywquin; 08-01-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

The US has the larger tank by default. We got more distance to cover
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
One would wonder why the two options. One would also like to think that the smaller tank would allow for the availability of a spare wheel/tire, but I’m sure I know the answer to that! WHAT is there in the R231 that was NOT there in the R230, that doesn’t leave room for a spare??? Oh, yes, I always forget: German bullheadness and STUPIDITY! Sorry Wolf, but it really is a sorry state of affairs, isn’t it?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
The US has the larger tank by default. We got more distance to cover
Makes sense . I got it because we do road trips to Europe.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony

One would wonder why the two options. One would also like to think that the smaller tank would allow for the availability of a spare wheel/tire, but I’m sure I know the answer to that! WHAT is there in the R231 that was NOT there in the R230, that doesn’t leave room for a spare??? Oh, yes, I always forget: German bullheadness and STUPIDITY! Sorry Wolf, but it really is a sorry state of affairs, isn’t it?
Smaller tank is less weight in the car, ergo better (long term) fuel economy than carrying an extra ~10kg for every tank full. Mine has ABC and there is some equipment where the spare wheel would go. Personally, I'd rather have the extra boot space than a spare wheel. I cannot remember when last I had to change a wheel.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I understand your opinion on the S-Class but can tell you that a spare on the SL is completely worthless...
We have had the R230 SL since 2002 (SL55) and the R231 since 2013. Our SL55 did not have a spare even then, just a pump and tirefit kit. Never a problem. Then we had a SL600TT. That one had a spare and we did have a flat tire one time. I thought that will be easy. Took out the jack, spare and installed that emergency tire. So far so good. But then came the task of putting the blown tire somewhere.
Guess what; it doesn't fit in the trunk, it doesn't fit into the passenger compartment so there is no place to place the tire anywhere. Can't leave it in the trunk with the lid open as the lid opens high for the roof mechanism and will open by itself and will not stay "almost" closed. If it wasn't for a string from a passerby we would have had to leave the wheel behind.

Tirefit on the other hand works quite well unless the tire is cut on the sidewall or completely ripped. In that situation a Run Flat tire will also not operate and a tow truck is in order.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Many women—if not most, don’t like Corvettes. They consider them “show off” cars, driven by younger men who are trying to impress people. They consider them to be “mid life crisis” toys driven by older guys wearing gold chains and “on the prowl.”...
Generalize much? Seriously though, when my wife finds out that I'm considering an SL for my next car, I'm going to take some serious heat. I've owned Corvettes pretty much non-stop since the mid '70s, and am now the original owner of a '96 Grand Sport coupe. I'll be selling it soon, and when it's gone, it'll be replaced by either an SL450 or a base 991.2. I briefly owned a two-year-old 2001 E320 Fourmatic "hangar queen" and not only was it frighteningly unreliable (HVAC controllers one-after-another, and excessive transmission slop), it always seemed like I was driving "my father's car". She remembers that car like you wouldn't believe. And, she likes driving a manual transmission, so there will be that to deal with as well. Different ladies feel differently about this subject, just like us gents do.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Admin please delete ..............

Last edited by rorywquin; 08-07-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Generalize much? Seriously though, when my wife finds out that I'm considering an SL for my next car, I'm going to take some serious heat. I've owned Corvettes pretty much non-stop since the mid '70s, and am now the original owner of a '96 Grand Sport coupe. I'll be selling it soon, and when it's gone, it'll be replaced by either an SL450 or a base 991.2. I briefly owned a two-year-old 2001 E320 Fourmatic "hangar queen" and not only was it frighteningly unreliable (HVAC controllers one-after-another, and excessive transmission slop), it always seemed like I was driving "my father's car". She remembers that car like you wouldn't believe. And, she likes driving a manual transmission, so there will be that to deal with as well. Different ladies feel differently about this subject, just like us gents do.
I think is is Dwayne Johnson (Corvette - big and muscular) vs George Clooney (SL - suave an sophisticated) - different women prefer different men. I'd say that the SL would be considered a classier car than a Corvette. However I've always loved the Corvette and if I lived in the USA I would have had owned at least one in my life.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Well I came from a C7 to my '16 SL400 and love the car, but. I can't get a 991.2 out of my mind. The biggest thing holding me back is the trade in value of the SL. Should have bought the 911 in the first place.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I understand your opinion on the S-Class but can tell you that a spare on the SL is completely worthless...
We have had the R230 SL since 2002 (SL55) and the R231 since 2013. Our SL55 did not have a spare even then, just a pump and tirefit kit. Never a problem. Then we had a SL600TT. That one had a spare and we did have a flat tire one time. I thought that will be easy. Took out the jack, spare and installed that emergency tire. So far so good. But then came the task of putting the blown tire somewhere.
Guess what; it doesn't fit in the trunk, it doesn't fit into the passenger compartment so there is no place to place the tire anywhere. Can't leave it in the trunk with the lid open as the lid opens high for the roof mechanism and will open by itself and will not stay "almost" closed. If it wasn't for a string from a passerby we would have had to leave the wheel behind.

Tirefit on the other hand works quite well unless the tire is cut on the sidewall or completely ripped. In that situation a Run Flat tire will also not operate and a tow truck is in order.
Well, you certainly make a good point, Wolf. Of course, when suggesting that a spare be made available, I would certainly expect this issue of onboard, full size wheel storage to be addressed as well. At any rate, as I have previously mentioned, in my particular situation, I don’t need a spare in the SL, as I never take it very far from home. As someone who used to take long, interstate trips in C2 Corvettes and early 911’s, I can truthfully say that as most folks age, comfort becomes paramount when driving longer distances. Even though I marvel at the comfort of the seats in my SL, whenever I take it out for a spin, after an hour or two in the car, I long to be back in my S Class.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigHat
...I also ordered my car with ABC and would do it again, but it's a very complex and pricey system. Service rep told me around 6-7 years things start to go bad. My car is a 2013 with 11,100 miles. At the four year mark I opted to get a two year extended warranty from MB (some dealers on the site heavily discount them without hassle) for $2,500. Shortly thereafter a ABC pump failed up front. Was told that was a $900 repair out of warranty. Just had the 5 year annual service and mentioned the front end seemed slightly squirrely in the Comfort setting and to check out the ABC system. In the process of doing so, they discovered the rear right ABC strut leaking. They billed MB $3600 for that repair and told me I would have paid approx. 30% more out of warranty. On the service summary, they also noted the ABC high and low ride height out of spec and adjusted. There was certainly no indications or error messages associated with that and I wondered if that has been a problem for awhile.

Thinking of getting a S560 coupe or cabriolet, but I'm beginning to get concerned about ABC on something I plan to keep outside of the warranty. I agree with those that mention that you'll rarely ever see a new SL on the lot with that option. Most people won't pay for it.
Originally Posted by SLclass
...As for the ABC option,...One is springs and one is hydraulics subject to break down and to incur leaks...ABC is $4,090 with breakdowns and leaks. There are reasons other than costs that dealers do not recommend
ABC. My dealer cared enough about me to advise me to run from ABC. I have always liked getting the "BEST" so I could have been an easy target for ABC, especially with my logic that if it cost more then ABC must SOMEHOW be better. But, thankfully I listened to my dealer and did NOT order ABC!...
Originally Posted by pmlnnrt
...ABC = too much to go wrong, and in later years will be expensive to fix !...Phil
Originally Posted by SLclass
...After reading tons of information and taking advice from countless folks, including my dealer reps, I special ordered my car with exactly what I wanted based on what I concluded. Just maybe I would have decided on ABC, if I could have found one equipped with it for a test drive, which also added to my decision not to order ABC. I was in the mode of thinking that since I could not locate a dealer with an ABC car, all of my dealer reps were saying it would be a waste of money, and their own mechanics were advising me against it based on their experiences of service and repairs, I decided against ABC.

What I am saying is that I initially thought I wanted ABC, but I changed my mind after all of the negativities that I encountered. Perhaps if MB would do a better job of marketing options, such as ABC, with their dealerships, like requiring them to have one ABC SL available or at least one per so many dealerships in a given area, and educating them about how it might be worth the 4k+, I just might have ABC on my specially ordered '18 SL550...maybe not... But, at this point, I am very happy with my decision. Maybe ignorance is bliss in my case, but I may never know...
Regarding ABC, I saw an interesting series of videos on YouTube recently. For those who haven't already seen them, search "Tavarish SL55". Granted, they're about an R230, but they have relevance for people who are afraid of ABC. About a year ago, he bought a 2003 SL55 with 117,000 miles on it. It was in fairly rough condition...obviously having been totally neglected throughout its miserable life, but he only paid $8900 for it. He took it to a dealer for a complete scan and got back eight pages of fairly serious faults/repairs...something like $30k worth of repairs (at the dealer). Heck, the top wouldn't even work. All the major (and most minor) systems on the car required expensive attention...all except the engine and one other, that is. The other system that was working fine? The ABC was functioning perfectly, and this was the previous generation of ABC too. Nobody here appears to sweat the top functioning, yet lots of folks worry about that nebulous ABC bogie. I find this rather interesting.

As someone who's coming at the SL from a "first-timer" perspective, one of the first things that caught my attention was the outrageously complex mechanical top mechanism/operation. But then I thought, they've been dealing with this top for well over 15 years now, and hardly anyone's complaining about it. I find myself extending the same consideration to ABC...and I want it! Interesting factiod from those YouTube videos: the guy decided to "hot-rod" his SL55, so in order to lower it, he tore out the entire ABC sytem and replaced it with coil-overs/sway bars (DUH!). The interesting part was that he weighed everything while doing so, and found that ABC is 136lbs heavier than the conventional setup.

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 08-09-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL550
The forum here has been flagging on the ABC system for well over 6 months with extensive discussions as to the pro and cons. More like longer if you search through the other forums. Let’s do one better with the ongoing ABC discussion.

Where one understands “exactly” how ABC works and the troubleshooting guide, one is better informed. Here’s one of the better links on the subject. The complexity is stunning.

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 08-09-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-10-2018, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Problem is you will only hear about all the people with ABC problems online. If you count them up how many are there really and how many SLs have been sold?

MB will have a continuous improvement programme and would not persist with ABC if it was truly rubbish.

The SL is one of their flagship cars.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Surfer Dude
The forum here has been flagging on the ABC system for well over 6 months with extensive discussions as to the pro and cons. More like longer if you search through the other forums. Let’s do one better with the ongoing ABC discussion.

Where one understands “exactly” how ABC works and the troubleshooting guide, one is better informed. Here’s one of the better links on the subject. The complexity is stunning.

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/
I wonder if there is a similar reference for the car's ridiculous mechanical top...that scares me as much as ABC does (not).

Seriously though, the car's top is one of its "claims to fame"...that is, a reason for me to consider an SL over a 911. ABC is another, similar reason. It's an option that Porsche doesn't/can't offer. Is it complex? You bet it is. So is that retractable hard top. Life is a crap shoot. You pays your money and you takes your chances. For some, the benefits of ABC will simply outweigh any ostensible potential problems.

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 08-10-2018 at 03:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: In the market for new SL