SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL buying question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
SL buying question

Hi, I'm going to be replacing my daily driver 2005 Corvette and want to get a Mercedes. I am looking for a quiet interior, smooth ride and an overall comforting drive, basically the opposite of the Corvette. I'm not looking for power and handling as a primary function anymore, want to relax on the drive to/from work and be able to hear the stereo rather than tire whine and exhaust noise. Just turned 55, so looking to change it up a bit. I do have an off-road car that will let me get my need for speed jollies.

Originally I was looking at C-class coupes, mostly because I like that size and they were in my price range, which btw is <$50K. I rode in several C300's and really liked them, and last week rode in a C43 which rode very similarly to my Vette, so no C43 for me. While I was looking I saw a few SL400/550's and wow do they look amazing. I know I will only be able to afford a 2013/14 in my budget, but I am thinking that might be a fun car. I've never had a convertible.
I didn't get a chance to drive one as the dealer only had new ones and I didn't want to waste their time joy riding.

What I'm wondering is if the '13/14 SL400 will ride as well as the new C300's?
I'm a tech nut, does the SL have more toys to play with?
Could I expect low 20's+ combined gas mileage with a SL400?
I'm assuming both will have similar maintenance, though the C class will have warranty. I do all my own work on my cars, so unless something drastic happens, I don't expect to see the dealer much.

Am I better off sticking with a newer Mercedes that has warranty?

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
There were no SL400s in '13/'14, only SL550s. SL400s were offered starting '15. You should be able to find '15 SL400s under $50K. Everything in SL400, including and especially the ride, is far better (IMHO) than C300, hence the significant price premium when new.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL550
Warranties: If you buy a used CPO from a Mercedes dealer, you will have Warranty. You can extend that Warranty with an official Mercedes ‘extended’ Warranty further out in time and miles for additional cost at any time before the original and/or CPO warranty has expired.

If you purchase a used Mercedes from a non-Mercedes dealer or private party, and the original factory Warranty is still in effect or expired, you cannot purchase any further ‘extended’ Warranty directly from Mercedes. You will need to go to a 3rd party for ‘extended’ Warranty. For the SL, there is a limitation as to 3rd party insurers that will offer the extended Warranty. There out there, fairly priced and fairly good insurance companies. Read the fine print. Understand the extended Warranty prior to purchase.

Should you get an ‘extended’ warranty, I would. There relatively inexpensive and you’ll have peace of mind.

As to official Mercedes ‘extended’ Warranties, you can purchase them from any Mercedes dealer in the country. Shop around and you’ll save some serious money. If you sell the Mercedes before you use up that ‘extended’ Warranty, you can get a refund based on the how much extended Warranty is left.

As to the SL400’s and ride quality, get rid of the run-flat tires and you’ll be amazed. More like an S class vs. the C.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Surfer Dude
Warranties: If you buy a used CPO from a Mercedes dealer, you will have Warranty. You can extend that Warranty with an official Mercedes ‘extended’ Warranty further out in time and miles for additional cost at any time before the original and/or CPO warranty has expired.

If you purchase a used Mercedes from a non-Mercedes dealer or private party, and the original factory Warranty is still in effect or expired, you cannot purchase any further ‘extended’ Warranty directly from Mercedes. You will need to go to a 3rd party for ‘extended’ Warranty. For the SL, there is a limitation as to 3rd party insurers that will offer the extended Warranty. There out there, fairly priced and fairly good insurance companies. Read the fine print. Understand the extended Warranty prior to purchase.

Should you get an ‘extended’ warranty, I would. There relatively inexpensive and you’ll have peace of mind.

As to official Mercedes ‘extended’ Warranties, you can purchase them from any Mercedes dealer in the country. Shop around and you’ll save some serious money. If you sell the Mercedes before you use up that ‘extended’ Warranty, you can get a refund based on the how much extended Warranty is left.

As to the SL400’s and ride quality, get rid of the run-flat tires and you’ll be amazed. More like an S class vs. the C.
That’s news to me. Any Mercedes that has factory warranty is elegible for extended warranty no matter where purchased. The extended warranty just has to be purchased before the factory warranty expires...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by threeMBs
There were no SL400s in '13/'14, only SL550s. SL400s were offered starting '15. You should be able to find '15 SL400s under $50K. Everything in SL400, including and especially the ride, is far better (IMHO) than C300, hence the significant price premium when new.
This...

As for the tech toys, this will be a bit more dated than the C300 but may have more features. All a question of the amount of options selected in the C class. It will not have Apple CarPlay or Android auto.
That said, it’s a roadster and the focus is on top down cruising. For that, it is about as good as it gets
Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 AM

SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman

That’s news to me. Any Mercedes that has factory warranty is elegible for extended warranty no matter where purchased. The extended warranty just has to be purchased before the factory warranty expires...
Post an email from a qualified U.S. MBZ dealer and I’ll stand corrected.

I’ll add to this as there warranty rules can be a bit confusing. This needs to be resolved for everyone’s benefit.

Here’s the text from an old email on the subject:

We spoke a moment ago. I have an SL550 that is coming off its factory warranty in the next 3-4 months. I’m looking to purchase a MBZ Extended Warranty for the car.

I’m sorry to inform you that your vehicle is not eligible for an extended warranty through Mercedes Benz. This vehicle had to be acquired from a Mercedes Benz dealer as a certified preowned and it wasn’t. You may want to inquire through your local dealership for an aftermarket warranty.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-12-2018 at 02:28 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM

'17 E300
I have a good dealer local to me and I'm going over there this weekend, I'll ask about warranty.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post an email from a qualified U.S. MBZ dealer and I’ll stand corrected.

I’ll add to this as there warranty rules can be a bit confusing. This needs to be resolved for everyone’s benefit.

Here’s the text from an old email on the subject:

We spoke a moment ago. I have an SL550 that is coming off its factory warranty in the next 3-4 months. I’m looking to purchase a MBZ Extended Warranty for the car.

I’m sorry to inform you that your vehicle is not eligible for an extended warranty through Mercedes Benz. This vehicle had to be acquired from a Mercedes Benz dealer as a certified preowned and it wasn’t. You may want to inquire through your local dealership for an aftermarket warranty.
This info seems incorrect. Factory warranty can definitely be extended. What is confusing is that Mercedes has two separate extended warranty programs.

1. Purchase of a new car. The car is covered by the New Vehicle Limited warranty. The title holder can add the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (up to 3yrs/100k miles) before the limited new car warranty expires.
2. Purchase of a used Mercedes. If CPO and the car is still under factory warranty, the car will actually have two warranties. Every CPO carries the MBCPO Limited Warranty (1yr/unlimited) which can be extended. This is the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty program (always unlimited miles). There can be scenario where the 1yr. CPO warranty already runs while while still under factory warranty. At that point, the factory warranty can still be extended.

The key is that people don't mix up the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty and the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty.

All extended Mercedes warranties are sold by a Mercedes dealer. Since you made me curious, I checked our local dealer. Sales will never know that so it's not worth bothering with them. Confirmed by Finance who are the people actually writing up the warranty agreements.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 PM

SL550
We spoke a moment ago. I have an SL550 that is coming off its factory warranty in the next 3-4 months. I’m looking to purchase a MBZ Extended Warranty for the car. I’m sorry to inform you that your vehicle is not eligible for an extended warranty through Mercedes Benz. This vehicle had to be acquired from a Mercedes Benz dealer as a certified preowned and it wasn’t. You may want to inquire through your local dealership for an aftermarket warranty.

.....The email posted above was from MBZ themselves as the dealer could not answer the question. I have 6 MBZ dealers within 30 minutes from me and have been purchasing MBZ’s since 1982.

It is confusing to the point one needs a spread sheet on this. We’re getting there.

The issue starts where you purchase an MBZ that’s still under the original 4 year factory warranty and you make the purchase of the Mercedes from a non-MBZ dealer or private party. You now go to a MBZ dealer and ask to purchase an official MBZ extended warranty before your original MBZ factory 4 year warranty has expired. This is a No go. They won’t do this.

Why? My speculation is they want to keep the used car sales inhouse with the dealer. That drives the used MBZ buyer over to MBZ CPO sales which are very profitable for the dealer.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-12-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This info seems incorrect. Factory warranty can definitely be extended. What is confusing is that Mercedes has two separate extended warranty programs.

1. Purchase of a new car. The car is covered by the New Vehicle Limited warranty. The title holder can add the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (up to 3yrs/100k miles) before the limited new car warranty expires.
2. Purchase of a used Mercedes. If CPO and the car is still under factory warranty, the car will actually have two warranties. Every CPO carries the MBCPO Limited Warranty (1yr/unlimited) which can be extended. This is the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty program (always unlimited miles). There can be scenario where the 1yr. CPO warranty already runs while while still under factory warranty. At that point, the factory warranty can still be extended.

The key is that people don't mix up the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty and the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty.

All extended Mercedes warranties are sold by a Mercedes dealer. Since you made me curious, I checked our local dealer. Sales will never know that so it's not worth bothering with them. Confirmed by Finance who are the people actually writing up the warranty agreements.
I think the key is if you are the original owner. If you are then you can extend the warranty if not then no unless it has been previously certified.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 AM

SL550
"no unless it has been previously certified"

Thats a separate issue by itself.

Lets say you buy a prior CPO car from the original owner that had purchased the MBZ CPO. You can transfer the CPO warranty over to the new owner, thats not an issue. The next question, can the new owner that purchased the MBZ from the private party take his MBZ thats still under the CPO warranty, walk into the MBZ dealer and now purchase an extended warranty forward of the CPO. I would state No. This does need to be confirmed either way.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-13-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-13-2018, 12:55 AM

'17 E300
Is it safe to say that buying an SL with no warranty is foolish?
Should I stick with dealers and stay away from private sellers if the car is out of the original factory warranty?

While I enjoy working on cars, I don't want to be stuck buying very expensive parts available only from MB.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

We spoke a moment ago. I have an SL550 that is coming off its factory warranty in the next 3-4 months. I’m looking to purchase a MBZ Extended Warranty for the car. I’m sorry to inform you that your vehicle is not eligible for an extended warranty through Mercedes Benz. This vehicle had to be acquired from a Mercedes Benz dealer as a certified preowned and it wasn’t. You may want to inquire through your local dealership for an aftermarket warranty.

.....The email posted above was from MBZ themselves as the dealer could not answer the question. I have 6 MBZ dealers within 30 minutes from me and have been purchasing MBZ’s since 1982.

It is confusing to the point one needs a spread sheet on this. We’re getting there.

The issue starts where you purchase an MBZ that’s still under the original 4 year factory warranty and you make the purchase of the Mercedes from a non-MBZ dealer or private party. You now go to a MBZ dealer and ask to purchase an official MBZ extended warranty before your original MBZ factory 4 year warranty has expired. This is a No go. They won’t do this.

Why? My speculation is they want to keep the used car sales inhouse with the dealer. That drives the used MBZ buyer over to MBZ CPO sales which are very profitable for the dealer.
I guess we are receiving exact opposite information.

Our dealer had confirmed to me today that they would provide an extended warranty. No problem.
I checked with MBUSA. They confirmed that a car is eligible for extended warranty as well. Dealer would write up the extended warranty.
This has nothing to do with a used car warranty (CPO).

Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 AM

SL550
Previously quoted and established:

2. Purchase of a used Mercedes. If CPO and the car is still under factory warranty, the car will actually have two warranties. Every CPO carries the MBCPO Limited Warranty (1yr/unlimited) which can be extended. This is the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty program (always unlimited miles). There can be scenario where the 1yr. CPO warranty already runs while while still under factory warranty. At that point, the factory warranty can still be extended."

.......Lets get back to square one here, as we have multiple conversations going on here.

A. We all agree, with MBZ confirmation, all original new car purchases or CPO purchased from qualified MBZ dealers have the ability by the original owner to extend warranties under the MBZ extended warranty programs.

B. Where a MBZ still being under its original factory warranty is sold by a private party or non-MBZ dealer, to a private party, the ability to acquire additional extended warranty from the MBZ dealer does not exist.

Are you stating as to B above, that you can purchase extended MBZ.? If yes, I will re-contact MBZ myself and see again what they state. I still have the original email as to B in my email log where MBZ denies the extended warranty. In the process they also checked the vin number.

.....I want to comment here, this is all good research and conversation. These are expensive cars and the warranty options should be understood by all.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-13-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Previously quoted and established:

2. Purchase of a used Mercedes. If CPO and the car is still under factory warranty, the car will actually have two warranties. Every CPO carries the MBCPO Limited Warranty (1yr/unlimited) which can be extended. This is the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Extended Limited Warranty program (always unlimited miles). There can be scenario where the 1yr. CPO warranty already runs while while still under factory warranty. At that point, the factory warranty can still be extended."

.......Lets get back to square one here, as we have multiple conversations going on here.

A. We all agree, with MBZ confirmation, all original new car purchases or CPO purchased from qualified MBZ dealers have the ability by the original owner to extend warranties under the MBZ extended warranty programs.

B. Where a MBZ still being under its original factory warranty is sold by a private party or non-MBZ dealer, to a private party, the ability to acquire additional extended warranty from the MBZ dealer does not exist.

Are you stating as to B above, that you can purchase extended MBZ.? If yes, I will re-contact MBZ myself and see again what they state. I still have the original email as to B in my email log where MBZ denies the extended warranty. In the process they also checked the vin number.

.....I want to comment here, this is all good research and conversation. These are expensive cars and the warranty options should be understood by all.
I am stating that A and B should be the same if under factory warranty and and titled in one's name. Keep in mind that MBUSA does not process any extended warranties. All extended MB warranties appear to be sold by the dealers.

I have not personally encountered this scenario as we have only dealt with either new or CPO cars but recently have been offered a near new AMG GTS by a friend. At this point the scenario would be very relevant.
If you have a good relationship with a particular dealer and the title is in your name, I would go there, talk to Finance (not sales) and ask them to sell you a 1/2/3 year extended warranty. I would not bother discussing ho you acquired the car either. You are the owner.

That said there is an condition in the original Vehicle warranty stipulating that the factory warranty can be transferred in case of a private sale. You may have to ask for that process to occur first.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 PM

SL550
“Where a MBZ still being under its original factory warranty is sold by a private party or non-MBZ dealer, to a private party, the ability to acquire additional extended warranty from the MBZ dealer does not exist”

I talked to MBUSA customer service on this specific subject this morning. They were helpful and cooperative as they’ve always been in the past. Basis the conversation, this is a fairly complex subject as there are so many variables. They have no policy statement available. This ultimately requires “dealer evaluation” of the used MBZ in question. We were able discuss a generalization, but again, this is not policy and is a basic generalization.

The Generalization: In general, if ever the MBZ in question was ever part of MBZ used inventory, and then sold by a Non-MBZ dealer down the road, the MBZ is probably not eligible for an extended MBZ Warranty.

Further basis the conversation, and of serious importance, the only way to truly establish 100% if the used MBZ that was purchased from a Non-Dealer or Private Party is eligible for any of the MBZ Extended Warranties, is to submit the MBZ to the dealer for evaluation. This is all case by case. The MBZ dealer will want the vin for background checks, mileage, and may require a complete inspection of the MBZ. This is just being prudent, and you can understand why MBZ will not give you a flat out answer over the phone without doing there research.

....there we go, a bit grey.....and due diligence is the best course as usual.

Good luck on the AMG GTS, sounds like fun....

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

“Where a MBZ still being under its original factory warranty is sold by a private party or non-MBZ dealer, to a private party, the ability to acquire additional extended warranty from the MBZ dealer does not exist”

I talked to MBUSA customer service on this specific subject this morning. They were helpful and cooperative as they’ve always been in the past. Basis the conversation, this is a fairly complex subject as there are so many variables. They have no policy statement available. This ultimately requires “dealer evaluation” of the used MBZ in question. We were able discuss a generalization, but again, this is not policy and is a basic generalization.

The Generalization: In general, if ever the MBZ in question was ever part of MBZ used inventory, and then sold by a Non-MBZ dealer down the road, the MBZ is probably not eligible for an extended MBZ Warranty.

Further basis the conversation, and of serious importance, the only way to truly establish 100% if the used MBZ that was purchased from a Non-Dealer or Private Party is eligible for any of the MBZ Extended Warranties, is to submit the MBZ to the dealer for evaluation. This is all case by case. The MBZ dealer will want the vin for background checks, mileage, and may require a complete inspection of the MBZ. This is just being prudent, and you can understand why MBZ will not give you a flat out answer over the phone without doing there research.

....there we go, a bit grey.....and due diligence is the best course as usual.

Good luck on the AMG GTS, sounds like fun....

Our dealer will do it for me so I recommend checking with other dealers on yours. The dealer that originally sold the car maybe the best contact. Doesn't matter if it was sold to you or not. They have the original sale on the books. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM

SL550
"I recommend checking with other dealers on yours"

Thanks, I'm past that, as this was a while back and the SL is now outside the original warranty as to time. I like this SL so I'm going to keep it for a while. That pushed me to the after-market warranties, and I got lucky there. A couple of guys here in SoCal set up a 3rd party auto warranty brokerage shop about 10 years ago. They have access to everyone and have the experience with these vendors as to whom is good no hassle vs the others. I was able to add 5 years and it covered the roof, all at a great price. That seems to be a big issue with the after-market warranties for the SL. They don't like that complex retractable roof. And the warranty is transferable or you can cash in what you didn't use as to time if a sale before the warranty expires. All good.

But....I just purchased another used MBZ a couple of months ago, from a Non-MBZ dealer, as the discount off the original MSRP was so great. It was silly to go for a CPO. With that, I will go to the local MBZ dealer and see if I can acquire the MBZ extended warranty. Basis being a couple of years old with very low mileage, I think I'm in good shape here. If not, I've got my 3rd party vendor in the back pocket.

Last edited by Surfer Dude; 07-13-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: .