SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Service question. SL550 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Service question. SL550 2013

Last service was 9/27/2017. it was an A Service and mileage was 49K. Just notified on my Monitor that(I think it said) B7 service due in 26 Days. I have at present around 55K on the clock and not due to do many miles over the next 4 months or so. I know in the manual(just cant find it at present and from memory) I think it states I year or 10 thousand miles whichever comes first. I don't use Mercedes dealership anymore for my servicing. My question is should I just get this done regardless at the end of the month or can I safely wait for a few months or so. How important is the I presume 60K service and anything I should get done with my service guy that Mercedes states should be done?
Thx.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by branmin
Last service was 9/27/2017. it was an A Service and mileage was 49K. Just notified on my Monitor that(I think it said) B7 service due in 26 Days. I have at present around 55K on the clock and not due to do many miles over the next 4 months or so. I know in the manual(just cant find it at present and from memory) I think it states I year or 10 thousand miles whichever comes first. I don't use Mercedes dealership anymore for my servicing. My question is should I just get this done regardless at the end of the month or can I safely wait for a few months or so. How important is the I presume 60K service and anything I should get done with my service guy that Mercedes states should be done?
Thx.
You can easily wait. Mileage is the only thing that matters to the car. I assume you are out off warranty? The timing of service only matters for corporate policy reasons (lease or warranty related requirements). The 60k service has a few extra steps that I would personally spend the money on. Spark plugs etc.
Using an indie will be cheaper anyways, Here is the link for what is checked for... https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...ce-Booklet.pdf
Old 09-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You can easily wait. Mileage is the only thing that matters to the car. I assume you are out off warranty? The timing of service only matters for corporate policy reasons (lease or warranty related requirements). The 60k service has a few extra steps that I would personally spend the money on. Spark plugs etc.
Using an indie will be cheaper anyways, Here is the link for what is checked for... https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...ce-Booklet.pdf
Thx Wolf,

Can always count on you for the best answer and thx for the link, much appreciated. Have an extended warranty..think its up to 77K or up to 2020, which ever comes first, so hopefully should be good to go when I truly trust something new and perhaps exceptional comes out! (with ABC please MB! and keeping the convertible hard top!!!)
Every two years I have new tires put on and have been pleased with the Hancocks of around $750.00(one usually gets a $50-$80.00 gift card) a full set which is great value and a fairly smooth ride but was wondering if the Michelin's Pilot sports(or even something newer from them) would help my wife even more, she broke her back and now wanting the smoothest ride possible so worth the extra price if it truly does the job. I know others here have gone this way, just interested to know how much the difference was noticeable.

Cheers. Bran
Old 09-03-2018, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by branmin
Thx Wolf,
Every two years I have new tires put on and have been pleased with the Hancocks of around $750.00(one usually gets a $50-$80.00 gift card) a full set which is great value and a fairly smooth ride but was wondering if the Michelin's Pilot sports(or even something newer from them) would help my wife even more, she broke her back and now wanting the smoothest ride possible so worth the extra price if it truly does the job. I know others here have gone this way, just interested to know how much the difference was noticeable.

Cheers. Bran
Regarding tires. Three options from smoothest to less smooth (may require going from run flats to conventional tires), all will require (significant) handling sacrifices for (much) smoother ride:

1. Assuming your car is equipped with 19" wheels/tires, going to 18" wheels with Touring (not UHP) tires in 255/40-18 and 285/35-18 (H speed rated is the smoothest, Conti makes MO specs in these sizes, not run flats),

2. If staying with 19" OEM wheels, you could go to a higher profile 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear (there are many Touring tires to choose from, including H rated MO specs run flats Contis) which fit SL with room left,

3. Finally in stock (again assuming 19") 255/35-19 and 285/30-19 sizes, Continental's DWS06 are the most comfortable (A/S performance, not summer) tires with the smoothest ride, but are not run flats.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Service Interval

I have mentioned this point in other threads concerning service questions. If you have a aftermarket warranty or service contract, you need to be mindful that the warranty company can deny coverage if you can't prove routine maintenance to at least manufacture recommendations. We recommend to our customers services every year or 8,000 miles, which ever comes first. And I maintain my Merc's to the same interval.