SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: sl63 vs s63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 e550 cab
sl63 vs s63

Hi, so currently i drive a 2016 E550 cab, the back seat of the e550 is literally useless so i figured might as well get a sl63 so i get some more hp, and don't have to deal with having two back seats that no one can use (unless you are 5.6 then yea someone can sit behind the passenger seat ) bit technology wise sl is way behind s class but i love the hard top and the fact that i don't have two more useless seats in the back ( i understand s class back seat are a bit roomier) so here is my question any of you considered s class vs sl and do you regret it ?
p.s i'm talking about s class cab and not the sedan

Last edited by kamiar; 10-11-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Two totally different cars ......and the SL is a very different drive to a Cabriolet. Perhaps you should go to your local dealer and drive one!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Choosing between a sedan and convertible is based on preference. There is no actual comparison possible. I have/had both at the same time and driven them back to back and as expected both cars fulfill their purpose very well. When it comes to convertibles, the SL is an ideal car; due to the folding hardtop it is a four season car that drives well is snow and bad weather, top down it is an excellent roadster with little wind buffeting at any speed. I haven't driven the e-Class cab but have driven the S560 cab extensively in Europe (high speed, top up/down, mountain roads) and it drives exactly like the S-Class, but just a bit more agile and faster. That car was a wonderfully competent, luxurious ride but it was also an inferior convertible to the SL. More wind noise/buffeting, more cold air getting pushed into the cabin, and even less usable trunk space than the SL (due to the rigid metal divider that half's the trunk with the top down. The SL divider is a bit more flexible when needed.
The insulation of the soft top was fantastic but not as good as a hard top.
Rorywquin suggested a test drive; that's the best way to find out!

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 PM

2016 e550 cab
i wasn't choosing betweed sedan and convertiable, i was talking about s class cab not the sedan, i will do that on a couple of weeks as Mercedes gives a noticeable discount in December last year was about 30k off msrp,
Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 PM

2016 e550 cab
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Choosing between a sedan and convertible is based on preference. There is no actual comparison possible. I have/had both at the same time and driven them back to back and as expected both cars fulfill their purpose very well. When it comes to convertibles, the SL is an ideal car; due to the folding hardtop it is a four season car that drives well is snow and bad weather, top down it is an excellent roadster with little wind buffeting at any speed. I haven't driven the e-Class cab but have driven the S560 cab extensively in Europe (high speed, top up/down, mountain roads) and it drives exactly like the S-Class, but just a bit more agile and faster. That car was a wonderfully competent, luxurious ride but it was also an inferior convertible to the SL. More wind noise/buffeting, more cold air getting pushed into the cabin, and even less usable trunk space than the SL (due to the rigid metal divider that half's the trunk with the top down. The SL divider is a bit more flexible when needed.
The insulation of the soft top was fantastic but not as good as a hard top.
Rorywquin suggested a test drive; that's the best way to find out!

Good luck!
thanks for the info
Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by kamiar
thanks for the info
If it's the AMG versions, both models will yield good discounts but there will be significant differences in the engine/suspensions/drivetrains, provided you are looking at MY18. The SL will sport the old 5.5l V8 with the 7speed MCT; same as the pre-facelift S-Class cab (MY15-17). That cab also has AWD vs RWD on the SL but is the the old static 4matic, meaning the power distribution front to rear is fixed to something like 35 front/65 rear. MY18+ the car has the new 4l V8 with the 9speed MCT and 4matic+ which is variable based on drive condition. That car is vastly superior to the prior version in virtually all aspects.

The S63 cab well optioned will easily run into the $200k range while the SL63 will likely be around $170k. You should be able to do better than $30k at year-end on the cab...
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If you don’t like the wasted rear seats in your E Cab, you’ll pretty much hate them in the S Cab as well. For any normal size adult to be comfortable in the back, the front seats need to be moved forward, to the point where any normal size adults will be uncomfortable. To me, the S Cab is a real compromise vehicle. It should have been spectacular—it could have been spectacular, but M.B. cut corners and the car is not great at much of anything, if it involves more than two adults and two, small children. The current SL, as long in the tooth as it is, to me, is still the better choice. I just hope the folks in Germany hit a home run with the new model, due out as a 2021 model.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 PM

2016 e550 cab
Originally Posted by Streamliner
If you don’t like the wasted rear seats in your E Cab, you’ll pretty much hate them in the S Cab as well. For any normal size adult to be comfortable in the back, the front seats need to be moved forward, to the point where any normal size adults will be uncomfortable. To me, the S Cab is a real compromise vehicle. It should have been spectacular—it could have been spectacular, but M.B. cut corners and the car is not great at much of anything, if it involves more than two adults and two, small children. The current SL, as long in the tooth as it is, to me, is still the better choice. I just hope the folks in Germany hit a home run with the new model, due out as a 2021 model.
tbh i dont know why they wasted their time with the back seat in the e cab, its small, not much use for it