SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Opening Roof Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Opening Roof Malfunction

I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me why the roof of my 2018 SL550 will not open, on a random basis, when pulling the roof switch. Although the top fails to open sometimes, it has never failed to close. For clarification, it does occur when the trunk is empty and with the electric trunk partition closed, which it does automatically whenever the trunk is closed. And, I have opened the truck and verified that the truck partition was closed. Whenever the top fails to open using the roof switch, I exit the car and use the SmartKey to open the roof, and this method always works. Again, this described failure to open the roof using the roof switch happens randomly. It occurs without any known rhyme or reason. While having my car checked by my dealer, I was advised that no malfunction had occurred while my car was connected to receive possible diagnostic codes. However, this malfunction did occur with my service advisor, but not while the car was connected to their diagnostic machine. So, at least for now, it has been documented by my dealer and with MB. My service advisor suggested that I return my car should this malfunction become frequent or consistent in hopes that there will be an increased likelihood of repeating the malfunction and thereby obtaining a code. At this point in time, it is still occurring randomly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes SL 450
I have found on my 2018 SL, the partition may Not be in position right away, so it takes a few seconds for it to move all the way back towards the rear of the trunk., then the roof
opens properly - just give it a few seconds to complete its cycle. I thought also, that something was wrong, but its just the partition moving to the rear of the trunk that causes a delay !
By the time you exit the car its already in the proper position - !

Great Car !

Phil
Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by pmlnnrt
I have found on my 2018 SL, the partition may Not be in position right away, so it takes a few seconds for it to move all the way back towards the rear of the trunk., then the roof
opens properly - just give it a few seconds to complete its cycle. I thought also, that something was wrong, but its just the partition moving to the rear of the trunk that causes a delay !
By the time you exit the car its already in the proper position - !

Great Car !

Phil
"And, I have opened the truck and verified that the truck partition was closed." But, thanks anyway, Phil!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
It's somewhat common that intermittent issues like yours are due to a switches being faulty or have a poor contact due to the way they are installed and not getting pressed hard enough. The roof mechanism relies on all every component providing the right feedback at the right time.

Will only sometimes trigger errors and record them. We have had that over the years (switches in the A-pillars and partition switch) Small and easy fix but the car needs to be in the shop and thus a nuisance.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's somewhat common that intermittent issues like yours are due to a switches being faulty or have a poor contact due to the way they are installed and not getting pressed hard enough. The roof mechanism relies on all every component providing the right feedback at the right time.

Will only sometimes trigger errors and record them. We have had that over the years (switches in the A-pillars and partition switch) Small and easy fix but the car needs to be in the shop and thus a nuisance.

Good luck!
Thank you, Wolf! I returned my SL550 to the dealer. Dealership has ordered a roof switch!

Last edited by SLclass; 10-04-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
One of the things I looked at, as criteria for buying an SL, was would my gym bag fit in the trunk. I'm at the gym almost every day and it was actually a big deal that my bag fit. In marginal weather, where rain may be expected, I'll close the roof before going into the gym. When I come out, if the weather is ok, I stow my gym bag and then, from the drivers seat, I open the roof. However, sometimes the top won't open. When this happens, I get out of the car, go to the trunk and open it. I then rearrange my bag, press the close button on the trunk lid and watch as the luggage shield slides aft into its proper place. If it doesn't seat itself, the trunk will not close, so I make sure it'll seat, so then the trunk will close. Then, back in the car, I raise the roof switch and the roof opens, each and every time. Anyway, a long story, but it could be applicable, as with the roof closed, the luggage shield is in the forward position, and before the roof will open, that shield has to slide forward to it's docked position. This is my observation.
The following users liked this post:
pmlnnrt (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Yep that cover has a very weak motor and even the slightest obstruction will stop it latching properly.
pmlnnrt (10-09-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rorywquin
Yep that cover has a very weak motor and even the slightest obstruction will stop it latching properly.
It's designed that way. Otherwise it'll be crunch time
rorywquin (10-14-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's designed that way. Otherwise it'll be crunch time
Dealership has replaced the roof switch. Hopefully, there will not be any future malfunctions. Thanks again, Wolf!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLclass
Dealership has replaced the roof switch. Hopefully, there will not be any future malfunctions. Thanks again, Wolf!
Those fixes are typically solid and solve the issue. Have never had a repeat issue on a switch.

Good luck!
SLclass (10-13-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
@ wolfman Hadn't thought about that!