SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: No more SL65. Seats? Trim? Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, maybe it is a bit outdated, compared to the W222 S Class and some of the other MB models, but the R231 has a lot going for it, when compared to other convertibles currently available. The SL is still “THE SL!” It may not be the fanciest, or the flashiest and it certainly isn’t the fastest or the best handling, but for folks of a certain age, it is still “THE” comfortable, luxurious, safe, secure and FUN convertible to have. The fact that it is a pure 2-seater and has that simply marvelous, retractable hardtop, while offering the fit, finish and opulence of a top line MB, makes the car stand out from all those other drop-tops on the market. I’ve had seven SL’s, with number 8 on the way. I can’t wait!
Well, there are lots of great points expressed in this thread but this one right here sums it all up best IMHO. For me, this forum still feels like the secret special bar area within the first class lounge that I'm still pinching myself I have a key to, but I'm old enough to remember when American luxury coupes came in special designer editions like Givenchy and Bill Blass with no choices beyond the designer's selected combination: take it or leave it and design your own!

And I've often rationalized that Mercedes is seldom first to technology, so Lexus and Acura buyers get to play with new toys for a while as the bugs get worked out before MB owners get a turn (especially MB owners like me that often buy 3-4 year old cars!) I have a friend that just went from a 2008 911 Turbo with zero driver assistance or ECO features to a Tesla Model S that drives itself!! I can't even imagine that transition....
Old 04-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 SL 450
Streamliner,

I just received an email from MB's designo group in Georgia replying to my request for a quote to customize an SL 450 interior to match the 2017 SL65 AMG you have pictured in your OP. I did make a modification. While I asked for a Ginger/Beige Nappa leather interior, I requested that the Espresso Brown interior elements be changed to black Nappa leather (for a representation of the look go to www.mercedes-bernz.de and configure the AMG GT with Macchiato Beige/Black with Exclusive Nappa leather and the AMG Black Piano Lacquer woodwork). I like the elegant look. The quote I received was $2,500 to initiate the order, $12,700 to have the work done and an additional 12 weeks added to production to complete and deliver the car. Apparently, the beautiful diamond tufted interior of the SL65 is available.....for a price.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by PHSWOOD
Streamliner,

I just received an email from MB's designo group in Georgia replying to my request for a quote to customize an SL 450 interior to match the 2017 SL65 AMG you have pictured in your OP. I did make a modification. While I asked for a Ginger/Beige Nappa leather interior, I requested that the Espresso Brown interior elements be changed to black Nappa leather (for a representation of the look go to www.mercedes-bernz.de and configure the AMG GT with Macchiato Beige/Black with Exclusive Nappa leather and the AMG Black Piano Lacquer woodwork). I like the elegant look. The quote I received was $2,500 to initiate the order, $12,700 to have the work done and an additional 12 weeks added to production to complete and deliver the car. Apparently, the beautiful diamond tufted interior of the SL65 is available.....for a price.
WHOA!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? This is amazing news! Please forward the contact info you used, hopefully with the name of your contact. I would be VERY interested in knowing more about this. Please PM me if you prefer not to post the info here.
Thanks!