SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Direction signal / lane change option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SL550 R230
Direction signal / lane change option

In my Camry, the number of "blinks" a lane change tap on the direction signal lever causes can be adjusted from the standard 3 blinks up to 7 blinks (via the OBD connection). Here in Arizona, where anything less than 85mph on the 65mph limit freeway is "impeding traffic," the 3 blink lane change warning is not enough.

Anyone know if this is changeable on the MB? (2015 SL400)
Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
At 85 mph you are waiting more than three blinks to change lanes?
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SL550 R230
The trick is to get the blinkers going 2 or 3 blinks before actually changing lanes. That (occasionally) helps warn the people (those who, by. chance, are not texting) coming up in the adjacent lane on your port side with a speed differential of 30mph see that you might change lanes, or, those, one lane over, who are apparently flummoxed by a driver only going 85mph and who veer into the empty lane left of me (right of the 85mph laggard) to pass.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
Originally Posted by inphelan
The trick is to get the blinkers going 2 or 3 blinks before actually changing lanes. That (occasionally) helps warn the people (those who, by. chance, are not texting) coming up in the adjacent lane on your port side with a speed differential of 30mph see that you might change lanes, or, those, one lane over, who are apparently flummoxed by a driver only going 85mph and who veer into the empty lane left of me (right of the 85mph laggard) to pass.
RANT ALERT.

I'm sorry, but that is not the trick, it is how it should ALWAYS be done. ALSO, just turning on your blinker does not give you the automatic right to changes lanes regardless!

If people had to actually take a proper driving test, rather than the joke that passes for one now, maybe our roads would be safer. In my area of PA, the practical test consists of parallel parking and about a 1/4 mile drive on public roads - pathetic. In other countries it is a few miles on the road with 3 point turns, emergency stops, lane discipline and reversing around a corner to name just a few tasks.

Today's cars (our SL's included) all have many computers that hide the fact that most people actually have limited driving skills. Then they wonder why the cost of insurance is so high.

RANT OVER.

Merry Christmas to all.