SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2019 SL 450 - daily driver in winter / snow climate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes - Pending
2019 SL 450 - daily driver in winter / snow climate?

Hello all,

I'm looking to get an SL 450 as my daily driver, but I have slight concerns about safety in the winter / snow, since it is:
1) rear wheel drive
2) low ground clearance

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone drive their SL in winter / snow climates?

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
I live in a very snowy climate and wouldn't dare drive my SL in the winter. First of all, it's not going to have much traction. Also, it could damage the car as snow could meet then freeze again in between the hard top's folds. Plus, it makes the car depreciate much faster. Just buy another car for a DD/WD.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,323 Likes on 2,057 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
We used to park our SL’s in the garage for the winter for many years until I asked myself why we pay for a car sitting in the garage for 4-5 months of the year.

We lived in Switzerland and used to drive our then RWD S-class and had no issues then. Same now.
While not a Daily driver we have dedicated snows on the car and drive the car in any climate.
Snow storm or not, RWD MB’s have anti slip control and with good tires drive like a tank in snow. Good tires are key!

We are in MN and have a good amount of snow and weather to 40 below. No big deal. Just run the car through a good car wash (we have unlimited car washes on a monthly subscription here) so that the salt gets washed off.

Our car has ABC so we can raise it a bit on demand but haven’t had a need to do so. In fact, our SL is lowered.

In regards to depreciation, there will be no difference at all. These cars will depreciate the same sitting in the garage

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-10-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Agree no point in having a car and not using it. ...mine is just on 2 years old and only done 11,000 miles - I'm not getting the road trips I planned (life just keeps getting in the way) ....When I purchased my service plan I opted for 10k miles / annum - doing half of that .....

Hoping to drive down to the Milau Viaduct https://en.tourisme-aveyron.com/en/d...au-viaduct.php and go home via Stelvio pass https://www.stelvio.net/english/ late August / September this year which should add a few miles. I
Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
IMHO, if one leases or buys often, then why not, drive it. If on the other hand, one buys SL (IMHO not a first or even a second car, since absolutely not practical as are all other two seaters) and keeps it for a while, there's no rationale to expose it to elements.

When I bought my '03 R230 SL (last factory order of first model year) it was my "third/fourth" car, I kept it for 11 years and put only 4K miles on it (yes I did have other 3/4 cars to daily drive, so may not apply to others situations) until I traded it (was in Iike new condition, never in rain/snow) for my current '15 R231 SL (not ordered since its a Special "limited" Edition). R231 has only 2.5K miles on it in almost 4.5 years and unlike with R230, there's no longer elements issue since I'm in completely different climate. However, each time I drive SL (only on sunny days with lowest traffic conditions anticipated), it feels very special and like new. Its the only car I still hand wash - would never do it to a daily driver.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
I think if you put snow tires on it you will be fine. There is no point in having a car if you can't enjoy it. You will be fine.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by threeMBs
IMHO, if one leases or buys often, then why not, drive it. If on the other hand, one buys SL (IMHO not a first or even a second car, since absolutely not practical as are all other two seaters) and keeps it for a while, there's no rationale to expose it to elements.

When I bought my '03 R230 SL (last factory order of first model year) it was my "third/fourth" car, I kept it for 11 years and put only 4K miles on it (yes I did have other 3/4 cars to daily drive, so may not apply to others situations) until I traded it (was in Iike new condition, never in rain/snow) for my current '15 R231 SL (not ordered since its a Special "limited" Edition). R231 has only 2.5K miles on it in almost 4.5 years and unlike with R230, there's no longer elements issue since I'm in completely different climate. However, each time I drive SL (only on sunny days with lowest traffic conditions anticipated), it feels very special and like new. Its the only car I still hand wash - would never do it to a daily driver.
Call me crazy but our “winter car” is a 600+ hp AMG that is hand wash only due to its matte Magno paint Since my wife and I ride share often to our business, we simply don’t put too many miles on our cars and I truly dislike SUV’s. So whatever car we have will get driven whenever.

I don’t believe in getting a cheap winter car because safety and protection is more important than metal. The best here is just good enough...

You are keeping your SL as a very special ride; in your case it makes perfect sense. I would feel the same if we were to have a classic or similar.
The SL is a perfectly good winter car, wether or not one chooses to expose it to the elements.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMHO W166 ML/GLE is a perfect and the best winter car. Had W163 ML320 - great winter traction car on winter tires(was very underpowered which is great for snow/slush) and W163 ML500 up north. Loved both in winter hated them in summer. Got rid of 320 after first winter, got rid of 500 after two winters for A8(the best overall car I ever had - put 100k on it in 6 years, had/have 19 MBs in last 20 years - only one of them had 40K when traded for the next MB). Had W166 '14 ML550 followed by the current W166 '15 ML63 (63 is the only ML I love(d) in any weather).

R231 SL is always in a climate controlled garage, often under cover (R230 was under cover 80%). Do not drive it (nor need to) when too many cars on road. This SL is the last one of its kind and will be kept hopefully for many many years. Was $119K MSRP car (no discount for that edition) and is worse at best 50%. I do not care. I love it. (Just bought E450 3 months ago, not in love with that car - hate electronic speedo and the rest of needless in a car gadgets, I want SL's buttons!)

Last edited by threeMBs; 03-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We used to park our SL’s in the garage for the winter for many years until I asked myself why we pay for a car sitting in the garage for 4-5 months of the year.

We lived in Switzerland and used to drive our then RWD S-class and had no issues then. Same now.
While not a Daily driver we have dedicated snows on the car and drive the car in any climate.
Snow storm or not, RWD MB’s have anti slip control and with good tires drive like a tank in snow. Good tires are key!

We are in MN and have a good amount of snow and weather to 40 below. No big deal. Just run the car through a good car wash (we have unlimited car washes on a monthly subscription here) so that the salt gets washed off.

Our car has ABC so we can raise it a bit on demand but haven’t had a need to do so. In fact, our SL is lowered.

In regards to depreciation, there will be no difference at all. These cars will depreciate the same sitting in the garage

I disagree with you on the depreciation bit. The car will be driven more and have much higher km's. Also, I, and everyone else I know that drives cars like the SL looks for an example that hasn't been winter driven.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Keon
I disagree with you on the depreciation bit. The car will be driven more and have much higher km's. Also, I, and everyone else I know that drives cars like the SL looks for an example that hasn't been winter driven.
Agree with that. In US in secondary market, Carfax provides registration and service history. Any snow belt car (especially SL and especially if one ends up in sunbelt) with higher milage will always sell for less retail and much less wholesale trade-in.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Wolfman - very smart looking SL and agree with you about enjoying it. Is that the Porcelain/Black interior?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Keon
More miles doesn't have anything to do with winter driving and buyer appreciation has little to do with trade-in value. Most buy cars used and new from dealers and not private party. And private party buyers are typically value buyers.
These cars depreciate at a high rate wether you drive them or not. Another forum member that had a 2017 SL65, drove it for 3500 miles and sold it two years later at a $110,000 loss. California driven...

A dealer will not tell you that the car is winter driven and I can tell you that you won't be able to know if it was unless the previous owner never washed the car. Rust is a non-issue on the SL; the majority of the body is aluminum and composite materials and the paint has nano-particles in the clear coat with makes it more resilient to chipping (which doesn't happen during winter).
We have an unlimited car wash which has an undercarriage wash so it will be cleaner below than a hand washed car.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with that. In US in secondary market, Carfax provides registration and service history. Any snow belt car (especially SL and especially if one ends up in sunbelt) with higher milage will always sell for less retail and much less wholesale trade-in.
This actually proves my point. A number of our friends here have SL's and other high-end cars that will never see snow or even rain. Yet the depreciation will be the same as ours.
That said, I will take a Minnesota car over a Florida car any day of the week. It will be in better condition with a fresher interior, smell better and have all rubber (seals, hoses, etc.) in better condition.

In regards to Carfax, I don't get the point. What would that show? Ours have perfect carfax history, get serviced by the book. In regards to miles, we get rid of these cars after max. 25k miles. This will be high miles to you but I think most will look at them as low miles.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-10-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by allfortheunion
Wolfman - very smart looking SL and agree with you about enjoying it. Is that the Porcelain/Black interior?
Yes, Porcelain/Black exclusive Nappa with black ash
Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that my responses are not viewed as argumentative. The thread topic was simply wether the car is a usable winter car; which it is.
Other thoughts/opinions about resale value and mileage, etc. will always be in the eye of the beholder. I am sharing my experience for the OP
Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO W166 ML/GLE is a perfect and the best winter car. Had W163 ML320 - great winter traction car on winter tires(was very underpowered which is great for snow/slush) and W163 ML500 up north. Loved both in winter hated them in summer. Got rid of 320 after first winter, got rid of 500 after two winters for A8(the best overall car I ever had - put 100k on it in 6 years, had/have 19 MBs in last 20 years - only one of them had 40K when traded for the next MB). Had W166 '14 ML550 followed by the current W166 '15 ML63 (63 is the only ML I love(d) in any weather).

R231 SL is always in a climate controlled garage, often under cover (R230 was under cover 80%). Do not drive it (nor need to) when too many cars on road. This SL is the last one of its kind and will be kept hopefully for many many years. Was $119K MSRP car (no discount for that edition) and is worse at best 50%. I do not care. I love it. (Just bought E450 3 months ago, not in love with that car - hate electronic speedo and the rest of needless in a car gadgets, I want SL's buttons!)
I share your opinions about buttons etc. 100% in a roadster! I can't understand the demand for bigger screens or touch screens which will diminish a top-down roadster IMO. This is about experiencing the drive.
Funny thing, in Germany SL drivers that just have wind screen up will be ridiculed by others for not being a pure top-down driver...
Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes - Pending
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Thank you very much everyone!

Just to give you a bit more background:
  • I will be leasing this car, so I am less worried about depreciation.
  • In addition, I plan to get winter tires and load the trunk with 100 lb sand bags to obtain maximal traction.
With all this done, I just wanted to ensure that I'll be safe on the roads with this car as my daily driver. Truthfully, I know I could just get an E300 (4 seats, all wheel drive) and be done with this, but the SL is much more exciting.

@Wolfman The climate I live in is a bit more mild than MN winters (less snow and less extreme temps), but still comparable. Good to hear that you still drive yours in the winter!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMHO, SL is not practical as the only car, much less so in snow (with no trunk space left at all since it will be filled with sandbags, that alone should be a disqualifyer). OP, there's E450 Cab with allwheel drive - SL/E hybrid.

Years ago, winter of '91(last century), I got caught in unexpected snow storm very late at night (there were no iPhones then and hardly any cellphones). I was in my brand new 300XZ with summer tires. When we left nightclub there were already 6+" snow on the ground with more falling and blizzard conditions... I got home safely, in 3hours instead of 40minutes (lost about 5lbs in sweat). The fact that it was late at night with my car being the only (or one of the very few cars) on the road (NYC with no cars on the road, imagine that) contributed greatly to me getting home "safely". The point? Anything can be driven in snow, especially with modern snow tires. The question is, should SL be? I understand that when leasing (OP, Wolfman, etc.) owner does not care past lease end. IMHO safety has nothing to do with car's longevity. I think on this subject we'll agree to disagree, and that is fine. Opposing opinions are required and needed to make the right decision.

Edit: I will take it one step further. The fact that OP is asking the question in the first place, tell's me that OP's emotional side wants SL, while OP's practical side rings caution bells. Usually we are more emotional than practical hence it looks like OP is looking for any support of emotional part while trying hard to dismiss any opposite argument. It is very simple, SL is not a good candidate as the only car and especially in snow belt. With this I think I'm done with this thread as I think OP was presented with all info on both sides to make an intelligent choice.

Last edited by threeMBs; 03-11-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,026 Likes on 744 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MercFan1
Hello all,

I'm looking to get an SL 450 as my daily driver, but I have slight concerns about safety in the winter / snow, since it is:
1) rear wheel drive
2) low ground clearance

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone drive their SL in winter / snow climates?

Thanks a ton!
In the good old days before Mercedes came out with 4 matic, I had a 190E which after one day's snow was a real bear to get up a hill. I put 100 lbs of sand in the trunk and it was very good in the snow. Move forward to now. Winter tires are ten times better than the MXV's I had and as has been mentioned you now have traction control and ESP. 4matic doesn't make the car stop any better. If you want to drive one in the winter a good set of snow tires is all you need. The only reason I have a 4matic is here in the midwest you would get killed on resale with rwd.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I can't remember which of my RWD Benzes was the last to have snow tires, but about 5 years ago when my daughter went to college I ended up with an extra car: a 1999 Lexus RX300. That coincided with getting a summer house, so the Lexus became the beach car. Then when winter came around it was also the winter car. I've since replaced it with a 2006 RX330 but continue that system and it works well. First Lexus was about $4000, the second about $6000; well worth it, IMHO. (I really wanted an ML but LW thought that too "bougie" for our quiet beach country 'hood.)
Old 02-27-2020, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 193 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Waiting. Not much of a winter anyway, so let the rain, muddy roads, hi winds and road salt be gone ASAP. (car on carpet)