SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: CPO 2017

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37x
CPO 2017

So I'm looking at a 2017, thanks to everyone telling me I need 9 speed over the 7 transmission. I found this one, but it's only got the basic standard equipment except adding the drivers package. Is it worth 90k? Should I keep looking elsewhere?

https://www.mercedesalexandria.com/inventory/certified-used-2017-mercedes-benz-sl-sl-550-rwd-roadster-wddjk7da6hf045288
Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,440 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Maybe a bit high. It's a nice car with low mileage though. How low will they go on it?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37x
Originally Posted by places
Maybe a bit high. It's a nice car with low mileage though. How low will they go on it?
They weren't willing to budge, but the guy told me if its still there in 60 days, he might work a deal.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd pass then. There are better deals out there. He might call you in a week or so, could just be playing the game.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I assume that you have used the MBUSA CPO search tool? I would also check AutoTrader, eBay and Carfax, CarGurus, etc.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
2017 will give you everything currently available on a 2018 or 2019. Try this search site. It combines almost all of the top auto sites into a single search. You can find exactly what you are looking for, likely with 15,000 miles less on the odo. My 2017 CPO was loaded and only had 1,850 miles on it. https://www.autotempest.com/
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by John Wahoo
So I'm looking at a 2017, thanks to everyone telling me I need 9 speed over the 7 transmission. I found this one, but it's only got the basic standard equipment except adding the drivers package. Is it worth 90k? Should I keep looking elsewhere?

https://www.mercedesalexandria.com/i...jk7da6hf045288
While the 9-Speed is very beneficial for the V6 SL450, the SL550 V8 has so much power and torque, that's it's actually quite unlikely that you would miss the (2) extra gears....

I guess there are always going to be some people here who are 'never going to be satisfied', (For some reason Streamliner comes to mind here), However, I'm certainly not one of those people!

I truly love my 'pristine' 2013 SL 550 (15K miles), just the way it is, no modifications required! I'm quite happy without the 2017 'face lift' and a 9-speed transmission. I find it even more satisfying when I remember that I paid just 1/3 the price of a brand new one for a car that I find to be better looking!....

Last edited by bob55; 06-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by bob55
While the 9-Speed is very beneficial for the V6 SL450, the SL550 V8 has so much power and torque, that's it's actually quite unlikely that you would miss the (2) extra gears....
It’s a better transmission, no matter the engine. One of several reasons why the face-lifted model is the better car.
The prior model does nothing better except the seat massages are a bit stronger

If the budget supports it, there is no reason to pick the older one IMO.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It’s a better transmission, no matter the engine. One of several reasons why the face-lifted model is the better car.
The prior model does nothing better except the seat massages are a bit stronger

If the budget supports it, there is no reason to pick the older one IMO.
A friend of mine is a very tech savvy person who still enjoys video gaming. He gets actual benefit for his chosen hobby by updating his computer system hardware every 2 or 3 years. However, he also insists on having the latest and greatest cell phone model as soon as it comes out. I asked him what he uses his phone for other than making calls. His response, texts and checking his social media feed. He knows that he doesn't get any benefit from a $1,000 cell phone, but he says that he must have the latest and most powerful model - it's a snob thing.

My opinion is that most people won't drive this car in a way that they can tell the difference in driving dynamics between a 7-speed or 9-speed transmission and that they will also be perfectly happy with the ride comfort of a non-ABC car or even run-flat tires! Will changing those improve the car - sure, but why spend the money if you can't tell the difference? As with most cars these days, its power and handling characteristics are rarely tested in everyday use; an occasional blast of acceleration out of an on-ramp or away from lights (for the boy-racers); maybe some winding country roads, but almost everywhere has more traffic than in the past. This is not the first choice for a car to run at a track days; that's for proper sports cars.

Most people want this car, because quite simply it is "the SL", a magnificent grand touring car with the benefit of being both a convertible and a coupe at the flick of a switch.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RocketBoots
A friend of mine is a very tech savvy person who still enjoys video gaming. He gets actual benefit for his chosen hobby by updating his computer system hardware every 2 or 3 years. However, he also insists on having the latest and greatest cell phone model as soon as it comes out. I asked him what he uses his phone for other than making calls. His response, texts and checking his social media feed. He knows that he doesn't get any benefit from a $1,000 cell phone, but he says that he must have the latest and most powerful model - it's a snob thing.

My opinion is that most people won't drive this car in a way that they can tell the difference in driving dynamics between a 7-speed or 9-speed transmission and that they will also be perfectly happy with the ride comfort of a non-ABC car or even run-flat tires! Will changing those improve the car - sure, but why spend the money if you can't tell the difference? As with most cars these days, its power and handling characteristics are rarely tested in everyday use; an occasional blast of acceleration out of an on-ramp or away from lights (for the boy-racers); maybe some winding country roads, but almost everywhere has more traffic than in the past. This is not the first choice for a car to run at a track days; that's for proper sports cars.

Most people want this car, because quite simply it is "the SL", a magnificent grand touring car with the benefit of being both a convertible and a coupe at the flick of a switch.
Well said. You won't miss what you never had.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
For the most part, all any of us do here is to voice our own opinion, which is just fine. My wife and I will soon be retiring our iPhone 7 models—which have performed flawlessly—and getting the new iPhone XS models. The number one reason is the much upgraded camera. The number two reason, is to keep our technology current. For us, it is absolutely not a “snob thing.”
Old 06-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure how I could equate recommending the current model being a "snob thing".
It is NOT a diminishment to drive an older model, they are fine cars but it is ignorant to say than improvements in newer models aren't worth the extra money without actually knowing the difference. Since these threads are meant to be informative it starts with someone knowing the difference. The reader can then make up his/her mind wether it is worth the extra expense.

I can't agree with your statement at all. ABC will be noticed as superior in virtually all driving scenarios and road conditions. A 9 speed transmission is smoother than the 7 speed. This is not about boy-racing but smooth shifting and cruising rpms. The Distronic plus with auto-steering will definitely be recognized as a benefit the first time you turn in on in slow traffic, Apple CarPlay has significant benefits the moment you use it; better navigation (Apple Maps or Google Maps or Waze), better music choices besides crappy Sirius or Bluetooth audio (Apple Music, iHeart Radio, Internet radio, etc.). Better leather interior if so desired and more. This has all been discussed many times and will only take seconds to find via a quick search..
Old 06-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
I've provided my opinion and I stand by it. As to calling me ignorant, just because you think I don't support your statements; that sounds very much like the current political climate as generated from the top!!!

My last comments on this thread will be this.

I stated, "Will changing those improve the car - sure...", so I am in agreement that the technological changes in the newer model will be for the better.

I will give a different analogy based upon golf. Lots of people must have this year's "new technology" clubs, because that might just improve their game compared to the clubs they bought last year. It frequently doesn't, but at least they have the bragging rights. A better player will still outplay them using older clubs.

Here, a better driver in a non-ABC 7-speed V6 car will out-drive a lesser capable V8 or V12 driver on proper country roads; although they will still not be able to keep up with the 1960's Lotus Elan I used to have when going around the bends. The stop light grand prix is for kids, although there is some skill required to not have the V12 torque monster prevent you from getting any traction due to wheel spin Don't even get me going about the redneck obsession with ruining tires by doing donuts!!!

Most people won't drive the car in a manner that they could even tell the difference. Most people would find the "lesser" car to be perfectly great, from the perspective of the ride comfort, the transmission shifting or the alleged "shocking" 1960's sound system. Most people won't spend months looking for an ABC equipped car etc etc. Most people have no interest in being on a car forum until they have a problem; that is obvious by the few consistent posters that are present on this R231 forum. That is not a knock against the few regulars on this forum, it's just that most people are happy to have an SL for the bragging rights alone, oh and it drives quite well.

As far as this thread is concerned, "my watch has ended".
Old 06-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

I've provided my opinion and I stand by it. As to calling me ignorant, just because you think I don't support your statements; that sounds very much like the current political climate as generated from the top!!!

My last comments on this thread will be this.

I stated, "Will changing those improve the car - sure...", so I am in agreement that the technological changes in the newer model will be for the better.

I will give a different analogy based upon golf. Lots of people must have this year's "new technology" clubs, because that might just improve their game compared to the clubs they bought last year. It frequently doesn't, but at least they have the bragging rights. A better player will still outplay them using older clubs.

Here, a better driver in a non-ABC 7-speed V6 car will out-drive a lesser capable V8 or V12 driver on proper country roads; although they will still not be able to keep up with the 1960's Lotus Elan I used to have when going around the bends. The stop light grand prix is for kids, although there is some skill required to not have the V12 torque monster prevent you from getting any traction due to wheel spin Don't even get me going about the redneck obsession with ruining tires by doing donuts!!!

Most people won't drive the car in a manner that they could even tell the difference. Most people would find the "lesser" car to be perfectly great, from the perspective of the ride comfort, the transmission shifting or the alleged "shocking" 1960's sound system. Most people won't spend months looking for an ABC equipped car etc etc. Most people have no interest in being on a car forum until they have a problem; that is obvious by the few consistent posters that are present on this R231 forum. That is not a knock against the few regulars on this forum, it's just that most people are happy to have an SL for the bragging rights alone, oh and it drives quite well.

As far as this thread is concerned, "my watch has ended".
I didn't call you ignorant nor would I any other member. That's inappropriate but it is Ok to call a statement ignorant...

There is no analogy needed IMO, golf or otherwise. They make for a nice read but avoid the mention that you actually haven't driven any SL's with the mentioned options and can't actually comment on them.
So you have an opinion based on some assumptions. Glad you stand by them

Normally that's cool but in this thread the OP needed buying advice...

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-01-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just took “Mighty Mouse” out for a 45 minute ride. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this car! IMO, this little V6, ABC equipped convertible drives like something that should cost way more money. It is head and shoulders better than my 2013 V8, non-ABC SL550, that I have trouble considering that they are both, basically, the same car! The 9-speed transmission, with the corresponding ABC suspension settings, makes this car at once a docile cruiser and a switchback stormer. The little V6 has SO much power and low end torque, that it puts a smile on my face each time I drive it. And, I have not yet really ringed it out, as I am following my own, personal “break-in” protocol, and not taking it over 4,000 RPM’s, until I hit 1,000 miles.

We all like to think that the car we currently own is “THE” absolute best choice we could have made, based on all the variables. Every time I drive this SL450, it reminds me, in spades, that I made the right choice. YMMV.

P.S. I hate the look of the wheels and will replace them soon, along with non-RFT. Don’t really like the grill either and may go SL63 style there instead.

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Just took “Mighty Mouse” out for a 45 minute ride. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this car! IMO, this little V6, ABC equipped convertible drives like something that should cost way more money. It is head and shoulders better than my 2013 V8, non-ABC SL550, that I have trouble considering that they are both, basically, the same car! The 9-speed transmission, with the corresponding ABC suspension settings, makes this car at once a docile cruiser and a switchback stormer. The little V6 has SO much power and low end torque, that it puts a smile on my face each time I drive it. And, I have not yet really ringed it out, as I am following my own, personal “break-in” protocol, and not taking it over 4,000 RPM’s, until I hit 1,000 miles.

We all like to think that the car we currently own is “THE” absolute best choice we could have made, based on all the variables. Every time I drive this SL450, it reminds me, in spades, that I made the right choice. YMMV.

P.S. I hate the look of the wheels and will replace them soon, along with non-RFT. Don’t really like the grill either and may go SL63 style there instead.

The wheels look great, what do you mean?

And for tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are amazing. I upsized to 295's on the rear and it creates a great look that fill up the wheel wells a lot better and have significantly improved ride quality, handling, reduced noise, and got rid of that RFT harshness.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Keon
The wheels look great, what do you mean? And for tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are amazing. I upsized to 295's on the rear and it creates a great look that fill up the wheel wells a lot better and have significantly improved ride quality, handling, reduced noise, and got rid of that RFT harshness.
I’m a “silver wheel” guy and do not care for the black painted barrels of these wheels. I also don’t care for the spoke design. I got these wheels, as they were the stock, no charge wheels and planned on changing them from the start. I was going to go very conservative 18” wheels, but after seeing how well this car rides with ABC on the 19’s, even with the RFT, I will probably stay with 19’s. I am currently thinking of going with either the clear coated wheels used on the 2017 SL65 AMG or the HRE P101’s, both shown below.

As for tires, either the Michelin P4’s or the A/S 3+. I have been told that the P4 is more of a performance tire and will be stiffer than the A/S 3+. Since ride quality is more important to me, Ill most likely use the A/S 3+ tires.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I believe I am the only person on any of the MB forums that buys cars and does nothing to change the looks.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I believe I am the only person on any of the MB forums that buys cars and does nothing to change the looks.
I have always been that way myself and have not purchased even one set of aftermarket wheels, EVER! However, on this SL, MB has made it difficult for me. Even though I love the way the car drives, the R231 has never looked “right” to me, and IMO, this face lifted model, compared to the original design, is better in some ways and worse in others. So, doing nothing that won’t simply “bolt on,” I will take a few liberties in dressing her up—MAYBE.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I have always been that way myself and have not purchased even one set of aftermarket wheels, EVER! However, on this SL, MB has made it difficult for me. Even though I love the way the car drives, the R231 has never looked “right” to me, and IMO, this face lifted model, compared to the original design, is better in some ways and worse in others. So, doing nothing that won’t simply “bolt on,” I will take a few liberties in dressing her up—MAYBE.
You know Steamliner, I just gotta say that for a guy who says he "loves his new car", you sure have a lot of 'issues, concerns, and complaints' to share about it!...Just sayin'....

Last edited by bob55; 06-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know Steamliner, I just gotta say that for a guy who says he "loves his new car", you sure have a lot of issues, concerns and complaints to share about it!...Just sayin'....

From day one with the R231, I have made my feelings very clear about the shortfalls of the exterior design & audio system. I have also stated, repeatedly, that after looking at and driving most every competitor to the current SL, it is still the best choice for me. So, starting with what I feel is a magnificent car, I’m going to try and remedy some of the things I’m not happy with, namely the wheels, tires, grill & sound system.

I have been very critical about a few things MB does. I feel my S560 is “THE” best luxury sedan on the planet, but feel it is idiotic and amazingly short sighted for the car to come with no jack, no spare and no proper place to even put one, should an owner wish to provide their own. I hate that the Panorama Roof is standard and that the car cannot be ordered without it. I lament the loss of the CD changers. The color offerings are, for the most part, dull, uninspired, worn out and and just plain disappointing. I could go on and on. The bottom line, however, is that I feel MB makes the finest, safest and best driving cars on the planet, so I stick with them, warts and all.

My SL is my toy. It will be driven very little and only for pleasure. “Fooling” with it and trying to make it a bit better than it is, will be fun. Wish me luck!
Old 06-02-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
For myself I would not have bought my SL’s to begin with if I was not attracted to the look. Adding exterior changes that I do not see while I am driving is like trying to impress folks I do not even know by wearing a three piece suit to Walmart. 99% of folks that see me on the road don’t know the difference between a A Class and a S Class. To each his own......
Old 06-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

For myself I would not have bought my SL’s to begin with if I was not attracted to the look. Adding exterior changes that I do not see while I am driving is like trying to impress folks I do not even know by wearing a three piece suit to Walmart. 99% of folks that see me on the road don’t know the difference between a A Class and a S Class. To each his own......
Streamliners issue is that he can’t get the car exactly the way he wants from MB (or any other brand) for any amount of money. They simply don’t offer all options as they do in Germany and even there they have limited color, interior and wheel options now.
Adding some of the missing features afterwards feels appropriate to me.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, that’s you and not me. And I agree, to each his own.

It would be wonderful if the car with the most pleasing design was also the best driving, most comfortable, enjoyable & practical for one’s particular needs & desires. However, as one grows older and wiser, finding all of those attributes in one car gets to be more and more difficult. If I based this most recent acquisition on exterior looks alone, I would have gone for a new AMG GT, a Corvette Coupe or a Ferrari 488 Spyder, as I feel those cars are just stunning. However, none of those offer all the safety or comfort features of the SL, none ride like the SL and none have a retractable hardtop.

I certainly don't dislike the looks of my new SL, but with a few dollars, I feel I can make mine more attractive to ME. I really don’t care what others think about the looks of my car, but the idea of changing things up just a bit is enticing and fun to plan and think about.

As I have mentioned many times, I looked at most every luxury drop top on the market today and this SL450 had more of what I was looking for than any other car currently available. Is the SL450 perfect? No. Is it perfect for me? Close enough, and with a little tweaking it will be.

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know Steamliner, I just gotta say that for a guy who says he "loves his new car", you sure have a lot of 'issues, concerns, and complaints' to share about it!...Just sayin'....
I’m a “glass half empty” type of guy, I admit it. I want things exactly the way I want them, but I am also a realist and understand that trying to get such a thing in a new car, is virtually impossible. So, rather than tell everyone that everything is just perfect about my new car, I’m noting the shortcomings and my plans to try and improve them. None of that changes the fact that I generally love this new car.