SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Stuck driver's seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2021 | 08:58 AM

R231 SL500 / Range Rover / VW Golf / Old Volvo tank
Stuck driver's seat

Well, the car is only 9 months old and something strange has happened to the drivers seat.

A few days ago I moved the seat forwards to clean behind it and didn't move it back into its former position. Yesterday when I wanted to drive it I was unable to move it back. It goes forwards but not backwards beyond a point...the result being that it is almost impossible to drive it unless you are a dwarf. It is as if the car wrongly senses that that is the end of the runner.

A mercedes technician came to the house yesterday and plugged the car in to the diagnostic computer. After an hour he gave up. Nothing wrong, no error code (incidentally the car has 59 'computers' he tells me...the new S class has 120 lol) and he, I and my daughter checked that nothing was obstructing the runners.

Anyway. I managed to drive it to the local service centre before I lost the blood supply to my legs. They'll look at it tomorrow.

Perplexing....anyone encountered a similar issue?

As a sideline I also asked them to investigate and resolve a rattle that seems to emanate from near the starring column.
Old 01-19-2021 | 03:07 PM

2014 SL 550
Originally Posted by JamesOG
Well, the car is only 9 months old and something strange has happened to the drivers seat.

A few days ago I moved the seat forwards to clean behind it and didn't move it back into its former position. Yesterday when I wanted to drive it I was unable to move it back. It goes forwards but not backwards beyond a point...the result being that it is almost impossible to drive it unless you are a dwarf. It is as if the car wrongly senses that that is the end of the runner.

A mercedes technician came to the house yesterday and plugged the car in to the diagnostic computer. After an hour he gave up. Nothing wrong, no error code (incidentally the car has 59 'computers' he tells me...the new S class has 120 lol) and he, I and my daughter checked that nothing was obstructing the runners.

Anyway. I managed to drive it to the local service centre before I lost the blood supply to my legs. They'll look at it tomorrow.

Perplexing....anyone encountered a similar issue?

As a sideline I also asked them to investigate and resolve a rattle that seems to emanate from near the starring column.

I had a similar issue with the passenger seat a week ago. Turns out the seatbelt was keeping it from moving past a certain point. I unhooked the belt from the clip at the top of the seat back and that solved the problem. I reattached the belt to the seat and all is well. Not sure if that's your problem but try detaching the belt and see if that helps.
Old 01-19-2021 | 03:42 PM

'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
You wouldn't think that could cause the problem, but it does say in the owner's manual to release the seatbelt from the holder before sending the seat all the way forward. Hmmm...
Old 01-19-2021 | 04:49 PM

R231 SL500 / Range Rover / VW Golf / Old Volvo tank
Turns out it was self inflicted. The service centre ended up taking the whole seat out of the car to ascertain what was stopping the seat going back.

It was a Phillips head off an adaptable screwdriver. It must have fallen out of my trouser pocket and jammed there.

They only charged me 1hrs labour...as the car is under warranty until 2023. But it was my fault.

So a lesson well learned...must be more careful in future.
The following users liked this post:
MikeSL (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021 | 01:04 PM

2014 SL 550
All's well that ends well.
Old 01-20-2021 | 05:31 PM

'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Originally Posted by JamesOG
Turns out it was self inflicted. The service centre ended up taking the whole seat out of the car to ascertain what was stopping the seat going back.

It was a Phillips head off an adaptable screwdriver. It must have fallen out of my trouser pocket and jammed there.

They only charged me 1hrs labour...as the car is under warranty until 2023. But it was my fault.

So a lesson well learned...must be more careful in future.
So glad it turned out OK. Don't feel bad, there may not be anyone on here that that kind of thing hasn't happened to...
Old 01-20-2021 | 09:30 PM

2020 SL550
Glad it worked out. We’ve all done silly things that caused all kinds of grief. I had my ‘18 SL550 in for a service and I mentioned that the lights inside the trunk didn’t come on anymore. Turns out, if you turn off one of the switches related to the interior lights, it also turn off the trunk lights. It took the dealer about an hour to figure it out, so I didn’t feel too bad.