Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 10:59 AM
DCF

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
13 SL63, 07 SL550, 16 Escalade, 11 C70
Originally Posted by crconsulting
Nice Job 👍
Besides being cheaper, the “standard” MBTex dash seems to hold up better in the humid climates.
As we know, the climates subject to high humidity and heat seem to wreak havoc on those leather dash pads. Unfortunately, it’s not just MB, it’s pretty much every manufacturer that uses real leather.
I tend to use a sun shade when I park my car outside, amazing how hot it gets (I can barely hold on to it). For kicks, I measured it once with an IR Temp gun. It was 160°!
Yes, the MBTex durability was also a plus to changing the dash pad. I can see the difference in the leather where the dash pad meets the top of the door panel but it isn't very obvious so most people won't notice it. I also have a 3LT C8 that supposidly suffer from the bubbles but knock on wood no sign of them after 2 years.

It probably took me closer to 12 hours to do the whole install but I took my time. I put the fasteners in plastic bags and labeled them to make it easier to reassemble. I pretty much followed the Star manual which was most useful identifing attachement point of the componnets. I had trouble removing the air bag cover so I skipped removing the steering wheel and in the end had enough room to wiggle the old pad out and the new one in. I didn't take any pictures along the way. I am generally not very fond of working on interiors because of how they are put together but taking my time and a few deep breaths along the way made it doable.
The following users liked this post:
JettaRed (09-06-2024)