SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: aftermarket warranties: exclusionary vs. not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2021 | 12:46 PM

SL 400
Interesting.

I know on my prior car I had GAP coverage, but when I sold the car they sent me a check for the amount that I hadn't used or something. I thought it was kinda the same thing with the ex warranties.

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Legally you must be let out of your contract, but it depends on the specifics of your contract. I've seen dealers apply the principle to your loan, or if it is early on, you make a payment or two but are not on the hook for the rest.
Old 08-30-2021 | 01:02 PM
SPONSOR

2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Interesting.

I know on my prior car I had GAP coverage, but when I sold the car they sent me a check for the amount that I hadn't used or something. I thought it was kinda the same thing with the ex warranties.
Most likely not, If you do not use the full amount of your warranty, I would call it the cost of "peace of mind".
Old 08-30-2021 | 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I have cancelled a couple "extended warranties". One was a factory BMW 7 year plan on a Z4. I sold it after 5 years so I had 2 years left. They cut me a check for a prorated refund since I had not used the plan for any covered repairs.

Similar situation on a C7 Corvette. I bought a factory 7 year plan. I traded the car after 4 years and received a prorated refund. In both cases I lost money as I paid for coverage I never used.

These plans are really treated like insurance policies in most states. In fact, some plans cannot be sold in certain states as they have not been approved by the state insurance commissioner or whatever he/she is called in a particular state.

I've about decided to "self insure" on the SL. I do plan to keep it another couple years before I trade for a newer model.
Old 08-30-2021 | 04:32 PM

'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
MB Warranty Transfer to New Owner

I'm sorry that I have not followed this thread completely and this may be already covered, but I do know that a MB factory warranty can be transferred to a new owner purchased through a private sale from the previous owner. If the car is traded to a MB dealer, the extended warranty cannot be transferred to a new owner who purchases it through the dealer; therefore an existing warranty has no trade in value.

Here are links to the MB warranty transfer program and the PDF transfer agreement. I have used this when selling my father's C300 to my best friend. (Thankfully he is still my best friend.)

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/ap...i-transfer-the

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/ci...+Agreement.pdf