SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Sprint Booster issues in the AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2021 | 11:01 PM

AMG SL63
Sprint Booster issues in the AMG

So this week I decided to finally install the Sprint Booster from the 2017 SL550 into the SL63 (also a 2017).

I loved the more responsive feeling of the throttle in the SL550 after adding the Sprint Booster - and while the AMG is much better, it still has a lot to be desired.

After verifying that the module was appropriate for all 2017+ V8 models on the Sprint Booster site, I proceeded to quickly install. Only problem - it doesn’t work at all!

Following installation, I started the car and immediately received multiple error codes (distronic failure, blind spot monitoring inactive, etc) as well as a check engine light, and zero throttle response. ZERO. Press the pedal and nothing happened.

I had read about this happening in a few situations, related to either loose connections, or installing while the keys were still in proximity. So I pulled it out and reassembled without the module - everything returned to normal after 3 full restart cycles (clearing CEL)

After some additional research - I tried three different times in the past 24hrs to install. Leaving the door open more than 15
minites, no keys anywhere near the car, fully powered down, touching no keys interior buttons or switches, fully inspecting each plug and fully securing each connection, and each time with the same result. I even peaked inside the module, to make sure no wires were crimped and no pins were broken. None seen. And each time, once I removed and restarted the car without the module place, all error codes cleared within 3 start cycles.

So what gives? Anyone had similar experience or ideas? I thought about pulling the main fuse or disconnecting the battery and trying one more time - but quickly tiring of remove that damn pedal. . .

Would love any advice any might have.

Last edited by PAPA PA; 09-17-2021 at 10:36 AM.