SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550
View Poll Results: How do you handle the top up or down choice?
Top is up when I park the car.
41.86%
Top stays down when I park
11.63%
It depends on how long I will be away from the car
34.88%
It depends on the area I am in
27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

SL/R231: Up or Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 10:16 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Up or Down

Hello all!

last week it was 80 degrees one day, 77 the next and today its snowing. Whenever it is dry and 67 degrees or higher I always have the top down when cruising. I always put the top up when I get out for a store, food, whatever. The only time I leave the top down is when I am at work, because my car is right at my store front window and I can clearly see it.

I got to thinking and I am curious about how many of you leave the top down when away from the car? Do you put it back up like I do when you get out of it, or does it depend on the location you are parked? I don’t have anything of value in the car and my glove box is always locked to help prevent people reading my home address info, etc.

So how many stay topless while out on the town and how many are only topless while driving?

Oh, I always leave the top down when parked in my driveway during the day too.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-13-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Unfortunately there are folks out there that think it is funny to throw things into a convertible as they walk by. I have no idea whether this is some sort of twisted jealousy or just showing off to friends being a asshat. I have had one sort or other of convertibles since the 1960’s and have heard multiple stories of half cups of coffee, soda water, candy wrappers and cigarette butts being thrown in. If I am not with the car it is top up all the time.

I also find the interior gets a lot dustier if I leave the top down even in my garage.

One reason I am not interested in the R232 are stories of soft tops being slit with pocket knives as idiots walk by the car.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 03-12-2022 at 10:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
Grateful (06-27-2022), rorywquin (03-13-2022), TennesseeZ4 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,112 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’m a fanatic about keeping the sun off the interior while not driving. If one plans on keeping their car for a long time, the less time the wood, leather & other materials are in the sun, the better. I guess this is an opportunity to post a photo!

The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:00 AM

SL 400
Geez!

Lord help them if I catch someone messing with my car, or they get caught on video and I see a tag number.

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Unfortunately there are folks out there that think it is funny to throw things into a convertible as they walk by. I have no idea whether this is some sort of twisted jealousy or just showing off to friends being a asshat. I have had one sort or other of convertibles since the 1960’s and have heard multiple stories of half cups of coffee, soda water, candy wrappers and cigarette butts being thrown in. If I am not with the car it is top up all the time.

I also find the interior gets a lot dustier if I leave the top down even in my garage.

One reason I am not interested in the R232 are stories of soft tops being slit with pocket knives as idiots walk by the car.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,112 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
……………..One reason I am not interested in the R232 are stories of soft tops being slit with pocket knives as idiots walk by the car.
Happened to me, way back in 1979. My brand new 450SL was parked at my business. Someone slit the fabric top, took the radio, etc. The top was replaced with a complete, brand new, factory unit, the work done by a premier, high end trim shop in L.A. It looked great, but was never the same, with creaks, squeaks, etc. Long live our simply marvelous, retractable hardtops!

ThatsMyDawg (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:09 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
We are fortunate to live in an area where crime and vandalism is rare. The decision to leave the top up or down is usually more related to the likelihood of rain, but, that wasn't an option. The few times we've driven it to a location we aren't familiar with, the top will go up just to be on the safe side.
ThatsMyDawg (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Happened to me, way back in 1979. My brand new 450SL was parked at my business. Someone slit the fabric top, took the radio, etc. The top was replaced with a complete, brand new, factory unit, the work done by a premier, high end trim shop in L.A. It looked great, but was never the same, with creaks, squeaks, etc. Long live our simply marvelous, retractable hardtops!
Admittedly I use my SL for road trips and driving "therapy" so rarely leave it unattended. I usually drive other vehicles, or our GLC when I'm going somewhere where I am going to park my car for an extended period.
I always store the car with roof up, windows up and locked.
Sun damage, random clowns, weather surprises, and bird $h!t all a factor...

Have had my share of car break-ins too. But I get a nervous twitch anytime I leave my car unattended. It all stems from the PTSD of watching this drunken fool running at full speed, while holding his beer bottle, and jumping on top of a parked (brand new at the time) red (E30)M3. Traversing across the hood, roof, and trunk panels at full gallop. Then jumping off the back, all while him and his friend were laughing loudly. I was at a sporting event and this was just a random act. They just kept walking like nothing happened, not even giving it a second thought. It happened in an adjacent VIP parking lot and I watched it from some distance so couldn't really intervene. I can still hear the panels collapsing and popping. Horrible.

Some people just don't respect their own property, much less others'.

And don't get me going about door dings....

Last edited by crconsulting; 03-12-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
I don't drive my SL if there is a chance of rain so the top is always down unless it is winter. Over this past winter I did drive it a half dozen times with the top up just to keep it charged and fresh. If the temps hit 40 I was back to topless. I have not once put the top up when I park. Whether it be at the mall, restaurants etc.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:22 PM

SL 400
What is the average length of time you leave the car parked in public with the top down?

I read mentions of sun on the wood, dash, etc. causing issues, but I always have treated my seats and dash with conditioners. Plus I wouldn’t likely be driving in blazing sun anyway. Screw the car, I don’t want to get burnt up lol.

Originally Posted by emilner
I don't drive my SL if there is a chance of rain so the top is always down unless it is winter. Over this past winter I did drive it a half dozen times with the top up just to keep it charged and fresh. If the temps hit 40 I was back to topless. I have not once put the top up when I park. Whether it be at the mall, restaurants etc.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
What is the average length of time you leave the car parked in public with the top down?

I read mentions of sun on the wood, dash, etc. causing issues, but I always have treated my seats and dash with conditioners. Plus I wouldn’t likely be driving in blazing sun anyway. Screw the car, I don’t want to get burnt up lol.
Whether or not I leave the top down depends on:
1. Where I am parked
2. How long I am going to be away from the car
3. Can I observe the car while I am parked
4. The weather

Knock on wood I have never experienced any issue with leaving the top down for a short period of time but given the world we live in I will likely raise the top and lock the car more often than leaving it down.
ThatsMyDawg (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg

I have a parking garage at my office so it will stay there for 8 hours or so. Usually out and about it's going in for groceries, grabbing lunch etc. so it isn't very long. In the evening when we are out for dinner maybe 2-3hrs...

Last edited by emilner; 03-13-2022 at 12:11 AM.
ThatsMyDawg (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 07:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Sad thing really, in all the years I have owned different SL,s, I hardly have the top down during the day. Mainly due to a problem both the wife and I have with it being too bright for us, but have enjoyed it at night on various occasions. Must say Streamliner your car always looks great. White is the best color, mind you I am biased, but seriously, even on a long trip and back(rare now) it still looks clean.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:55 PM

Received 142 Likes on 103 Posts
m157 SL63
The only thing I usually have in my car that I'd be worried about someone grabbing is a radar detector. That's enough for me to put the top up though. Stashing the radar detector somewhere and then reattaching doesn't save much time vs just putting the top up and down.
The following 2 users liked this post by billvp218:
jrupp (03-13-2022), ThatsMyDawg (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:58 PM

SL 400
Never thought of it being too bright while topless. I drive all the time with the top down, but as long as I have my shades on I don’t even think about how bright it is.

Originally Posted by branmin
Sad thing really, in all the years I have owned different SL,s, I hardly have the top down during the day. Mainly due to a problem both the wife and I have with it being too bright for us, but have enjoyed it at night on various occasions. Must say Streamliner your car always looks great. White is the best color, mind you I am biased, but seriously, even on a long trip and back(rare now) it still looks clean.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:06 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Florida is a wonderful place to own and drive any convertible. Most of Florida has a problem with Palm Rats the have a knack of getting through the smallest opening into our garage and/or attic. The top is up, as are all windows whenever the SL is parked inside our garage; hopefully to prevent the occasional, inevitable Palm Rat from turning the SL into their personal condo. I also keep ultrasonic sound emitters plugged into our garage (and attic) to make our home as unattractive as possible to these damnable rodents.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 AM

SL 400
Just added Palm rats to the list of why we can’t purchase a second home in Florida. Never heard of Palm rats before, but no way I would deal with that and for sure no way my wife would ever be at peace.

Originally Posted by fun33
Florida is a wonderful place to own and drive any convertible. Most of Florida has a problem with Palm Rats the have a knack of getting through the smallest opening into our garage and/or attic. The top is up, as are all windows whenever the SL is parked inside our garage; hopefully to prevent the occasional, inevitable Palm Rat from turning the SL into their personal condo. I also keep ultrasonic sound emitters plugged into our garage (and attic) to make our home as unattractive as possible to these damnable rodents.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-13-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony

Ditto.

I’ve always had a SmartTop on my convertibles. Close the roof as I walk away and open it when I need to.

It is asking for trouble to leave a nice car like a SL unattended with the roof open.

Too many envious people (and a$$h0les) these days.
ThatsMyDawg (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by emilner
You have not lived.....the SL is awesome in the rain. This car is a coupe in bad weather and a roadster in good weather.......enjoy both!

"Drive it Like You Stole It"
ThatsMyDawg (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 07:23 PM

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
2013 SL550
I work at a university with about 25,000 students. On days I have the top down it has never occurred to me to put the top up unless the weather looked iffy. Literally hundreds of students walk pass by my car each day, each could cause mischief if they wanted, I guess. This is going to come as a shock...I also leave my key in the car. They're just so expensive that I leave it in the little pouch behind the passenger seat and not worry about it. Could someone steal my car...I guess. I have an apple tab on my key fob and my car and it's the only r231 in my town (25,000 students + 25,000 residents) so I feel it wouldn't be hard to find. This may sound careless but my reasoning is as follows:
- I doubt many folks are aware of the little leather pouches attached to the seats
- A replacement key is really expensive
- Even if the car was stolen I'm not sure how far they'd get; Designo paint, tracker on key fob, small town, etc.
- I really like the convenience of jumping in the car and hitting the auto start and driving off. (I am notorious for losing keys)

I know this probably makes no sense to most folks on this forum and I can't really explain it but it just works for me. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But, in 45+ years of driving my car has only been "messed" with one time and that was when someone took the sunroof out of my Toyota MR2 when I was in my 20s.

Not suggesting others do what I do but it's how I like to "roll" and adds to the overall experience I have in owning this car. Of course, it doesn't hurt that there's not much crime in my community or neighborhood. So
Old 03-14-2022, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by jrupp
...................I also leave my key in the car. They're just so expensive that I leave it in the little pouch behind the passenger seat and not worry about it. Could someone steal my car...I guess. I have an apple tab on my key fob and my car ...........o
So you leave the keys in the car with an Apple Tab attached because you are worried about losing the key......makes no sense. I have Mercedes Me with geofencing in my car (I believe it is standard) and get phone alerts if the car gets moved away from any geofenced spot and I can track it on my phone.

Last edited by rorywquin; 03-14-2022 at 05:53 AM.
ThatsMyDawg (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:46 AM

SL 400
You know, I didn’t get the leaving the key in the car post either, but I thought I may have just been tired and not understand it. I was going look again when I was more awake. Our keys are expensive. I had to replace a key about 10 years ago on our then C series and I think it was over $200 dollars.

My car key is on my house key ring, which I pick up when I leave the house. Those keys go straight in my pocket. Having PBS we do not need to take the keys out of our pockets to drive, get in the trunk, etc., so I don’t get in that scenario how a car key can be lost.

I am in my mid fifties now and have had my license since 16 years old. I hold multiple endorsements, have purchased tons of cars, trucks, SUVs and motorcycles. I have never lost a vehicle key, my wife has never lost one, nor has our children. If I try I guess I can imagine someone loosing a key once but I can’t imagine that happening more than once.

People have different experiences though.

Originally Posted by rorywquin
So you leave the keys in the car with an Apple Tab attached because you are worried about losing the key......makes no sense. I have Mercedes Me with geofencing in my car (I believe it is standard) and get phone alerts if the car gets moved away from any geofenced spot and I can track it on my phone.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-14-2022 at 06:49 AM.
rorywquin (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 10:13 AM

2013 SL550
Please don't interpret my post as suggesting anyone do the same thing. I was really just responding to the UP/DOWN query of the op. I understand it doesn't make much sense, it's just what I do. My home security is all punch button, no key needed; my work is the same - a card you swipe to enter the building (I don't lock my office either). I find the MB key, especially when it's on a key ring, to be a bit bulky so I just leave it tucked away. In my 15+ years at the university I don't think I've ever heard of a car being stolen; there are cameras everywhere and you can't even get to my parking lot without going through a coded gate.

We live in a relatively small neighborhood where folks know each other, same with our downtown. I do lock it if I take the SL to a gig, I'm a working musician on the side, but I usually take my wife's car.

Again, I posted not to encourage others to do it, just offering another data point from an r231 owner. Happy Motoring!
Old 03-14-2022, 10:31 AM

SL 400
Ahhhhhh, I see a little better now. So you leave the doors unlocked, or do you lock the car with the keys inside via the door handle feature?

Originally Posted by jrupp
Please don't interpret my post as suggesting anyone do the same thing. I was really just responding to the UP/DOWN query of the op. I understand it doesn't make much sense, it's just what I do. My home security is all punch button, no key needed; my work is the same - a card you swipe to enter the building (I don't lock my office either). I find the MB key, especially when it's on a key ring, to be a bit bulky so I just leave it tucked away. In my 15+ years at the university I don't think I've ever heard of a car being stolen; there are cameras everywhere and you can't even get to my parking lot without going through a coded gate.

We live in a relatively small neighborhood where folks know each other, same with our downtown. I do lock it if I take the SL to a gig, I'm a working musician on the side, but I usually take my wife's car.

Again, I posted not to encourage others to do it, just offering another data point from an r231 owner. Happy Motoring!
Old 03-14-2022, 11:39 AM

2013 SL550
I leave the doors unlocked. There is nothing in the car I couldn't live without and I doubt any modern day thief wants my Yes, Who, Pat Metheny or Sting CDs. Would rather they root around in the car than break a window only to find nothing worth stealing. You could argue they could vandalize the interior but if they were hellbent on that I don't think locking the car would stop them.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
We always close the top unless I jump into a store for moment. My bigger concern is the dust/pollen/leaves or other droplets from trees getting into the interior rather than vandalism or theft. Our cars usually look brand new inside out for years and closing the top when not driving plays a part. That includes the garage to keep out spiders, other insects or anything larger…
ThatsMyDawg (03-14-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Up or Down