SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2013-2016 SL snow conditions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Mstic
2013-2016 SL snow conditions

I would like to buy a 2013-2016 SL that would be a daily driver. I live in Colorado and am concerned that as a RWD it may not handle well in the snow? Would I need snow tires for the winter season or just get an AWD car instead.
Thank you.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 SL400
I drove RWD cars for decades in the snow...my DD in Fort Collins was a BMW M Roadster. With a good set of winter wheels and snow tires (say, Bridgestone Blizzaks) along with today's traction control you should be fine if you drive appropriately. I saw a lot of AWD SUVs on the side of I-25 who thought they were invincible in the snow, so it's no guarantee.

Winter wheels may be necessary as they may not make snow tires in the stock SL sizes... I always wonder how we all survived all those years without AWD (sarcasm)...but I will say my "winter car" is a pristine Volvo V70 AWD and it is a beast in the snow when I drive it. Ironically, I bought it from a guy in Marco Island! They clear the roads well here in Chicago and I haven't found really any issues around town, but the salt is why the SL will sleep for the winter.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The question has been discussed before. The short answer is: Yes, the car is fine in the snow with proper tires...

Here is a relevant thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-ice-snow.html
Old 07-15-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by MickeyDD
I would like to buy a 2013-2016 SL that would be a daily driver. I live in Colorado and am concerned that as a RWD it may not handle well in the snow? Would I need snow tires for the winter season or just get an AWD car instead.
Thank you.
​​​​​​​You will absolutely need good snow tires unless you're parking the SL for 6 months. Don't fool around - - get separate wheels and tires, preferably Hakkapeliittas or Michelins. You can probably order a nice wheel/tire package from tire rack or discount tire.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:26 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Everyone has their ideas, opinions and experiences, but I have never seen a rear wheel drive car, any car that handled well in the snowy winters. Some makes may do better than others for sure. Can you drive the SL in winter? Yes. Does the skill of the driver also play a part? Most times yes and so does luck. Can the winters you have to deal with differ greatly from the ones here in Maryland, or other parts of the country/world? Yes. Can you be fine and never have any issues? Yes. Will your winter driving be the same as any front wheel drive car, or all wheel drive vehicle? Nope, and you shouldn't expect that it will.

Sure you can use lower gears to start out, or for general driving and have the best tires money can buy. You could also put a few bags of sand in your trunk for added weight, as well as be an awesome driver, but if ((( I )) had a choice and lived in an area with "real winters" and snow each year I would buy a different vehicle unless the SL was my second vehicle.

Sure, you will hear many say things like "I had such and such rear wheel drive car and I drove in 2 feet of snow during my college days for years and never had an issue". Ok cool. I have had many rear wheel drive cars in my 40 years of driving and have had to drive them in winter too. Winters where you can wear shorts and a t-shirt and be almost hot and some winters where I thought I was in Alaska sun up to sun down. BMW 325, BMW 318, Porsche 944, Porsche 928, Nissan 300Z just to name a few. I also acknowledge that the tech in cars have greatly improved since I was a teenager. Driving modern cars today is easier to handle the snow in than in years past, but none of the cars I had did well in real snow/winter. Yes, you can drive with rear wheel cars and get out there and be completely fine.You can also get out there and hate yourself for not getting a vehicle more suited for winter driving in YOUR area. I see all types of rear wheel cars driving in winter. Sports cars and non sports cars, but off all the cars I see stuck, being rescued, off in a ditch, turned around backwards, or just spinning out, it is overwhelmingly rear wheel drive cars. Plenty of non rear wheel cars too, but far greater rear wheel. Also everyone doesn't suck at driving so its not always driver error. It is the car.

Get a nice SUV, or all wheel drive car. At the very minimum get a front wheel drive car. If possible get yourself an SL and one of the other types of vehicles that I mentioned. I love my SL to death, but I would not own it, if I didn’t have an SUV as our second and third vehicles and that is with moderate to lite winters here in Maryland. We get in single digits each winter and have snow that you can easily brush off with a broom for half of the winter. The other half of the winter you need a shovel to move a few inches away. Every 5 years, or so you need a bull dozer. No thank you.

I hope the choice you make works out for you either way. Keep us updated.

Originally Posted by MickeyDD
Thank you.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 07-18-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Typos
The following users liked this post:
slk55er (07-18-2022)