SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: what updates in tech through the years?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2013 SL550
what updates in tech through the years?

I currently own a 2013, considering getting a newer one, maybe a facelift version. Can anyone tell me, what upgrades was there through the years in tech? better screens? or a touchscreen? or was teh tech all the same from 2013-2020?
Any other upgrades other than cosmetic to be aware?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This has been asked many times. Just do a search in this forum for facelift…
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 02:01 PM

2003 SL55 / 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This has been asked many times. Just do a search in this forum for facelift…
So as a super moderator your job is to get people to not use the forum?

I searched, didn't find it. Maybe if I search for an hour or two, but other forums I am in people are friendly and helpful. Do you want active users? or people just searching?

Instead of telling me to not post and instead search, how about giving me a link to what I am looking for?

Or just help a brother out?

Goodwood (03-06-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 02:55 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
See if these links may provide assistance:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...9-sl550-s.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...13-2017-a.html

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/...veal-official/

https://www.mbloveland.com/mercedes-...tes-the-sl550/
Old 03-03-2023, 03:22 PM

2003 SL55 / 2013 SL550
Thanks. So basically the only tech upgrade was in 2017, and it was not that much of a difference from what I have seen. I was hoping they would have done a further tech upgrade in 2019 or something. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Most significant was a more powerful 6 cyl. engine and a 9 speed tranny. Front fascia redesign as well.
Streamliner (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 06:16 PM

Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts
SL 400
Good grief, bro take it down a thousand. This forum is one of the most helpful I have been a member of and I belong to many. Always think, before you post, because coming off like your mouthing off to people, let along the moderator is a good way to ensure nobody will help you. We try to help when we can, we actually like doing it. Search, search more and search with different terms. As you can see by the multiple links presented above the search function does work. Suggesting that you use the search function is a way to get you in the habit of doing so in order to answer your own questions when possible, use all the site tools, while also helping to prevent the same questions being posted over and over.

I hope you have found the answer you were looking for. Chill and hang in there

Originally Posted by renewgeorgia

I searched, didn't find it. Maybe if I search for an hour or two, but other forums I am in people are friendly and helpful. Do you want active users? or people just searching?

Instead of telling me to not post and instead search, how about giving me a link to what I am looking for?

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-03-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Ruppster (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Good grief, bro take it down a thousand. This forum is one of the most helpful I have been a member of and I belong to many. Always think, before you post, because coming off like your mouthing off to people, let along the moderator is a good way to ensure nobody will help you. We try to help when we can, we actually like doing it. Search, search more and search with different terms. As you can see by the multiple links presented above the search function does work. Suggesting that you use the search function is a way to get you in the habit of doing so in order to answer your own questions when possible, use all the site tools, while also helping to prevent the same questions being posted over and over.

I hope you have found the answer you were looking for. Chill and hang in there
I second that. But it is common for new members, which the OP isn't, to simply ask questions without checking for prior threads covering the same topics. Since this is common in long running forums like the R230 SL. Forum etiquette usually recommends to help yourself first (aka doing a search) before posting...
ThatsMyDawg (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by renewgeorgia

No, it isn't, one way or the other...
It would have likely helped to asked your question properly; after all you asked the same thing already in 2019 and got all the answers then. Literally the first thread listed by TennesseeZ4
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
TennesseeZ4 (03-05-2023), ThatsMyDawg (03-04-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Even though I like the facelift of 2017, I get the idea that it was almost felt to be obligatory by MB and that they did the least possible they could get away with, while still giving dealers a “new” car. A full rework of the audio system was certainly in order, as was the addition of a surround view camera system, all things that would have been simple to do, but the factory was just too busy trying to develop yet another “Magno” paint color and figuring out how to offer yet another SUV as a “coupe.” As much as I hate to say it, MB woefully ignored the SL since the R231 was originally designed, but we love the cars anyway, don’t we?

Goodwood (03-20-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Even though I like the facelift of 2017, I get the idea that it was almost felt to be obligatory by MB and that they did the least possible they could get away with, while still giving dealers a “new” car. A full rework of the audio system was certainly in order, as was the addition of a surround view camera system, all things that would have been simple to do, but the factory was just too busy trying to develop yet another “Magno” paint color and figuring out how to offer yet another SUV as a “coupe.” As much as I hate to say it, MB woefully ignored the SL since the R231 was originally designed, but we love the cars anyway, don’t we?

To be fair, this is exactly what a facelift is and for the SL, Mercedes did actually a whole lot more than for other cars. They made it a much better looking car IMO and added some features that really make a difference. More power (which I appreciate ), a much better transmission, exhaust, improved ABC suspension and Apple CarPlay.
While viewed as minor to most, adding the exclusive Nappa leather options added the luxury it was missing in non-designo trim.
I never used the Distronic Plus much but that was enhanced quite a bit. Overall I found the facelift a great improvement.

I have never shared the opinion about the audio system, perhaps due to different preferences in music materials, strict use of Apple CarPlay audio (no Sirius and HD Audio was only NPR) and maybe I never expected an audiophile experience in a top down car at speed
Old 03-05-2023, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
To be fair, this is exactly what a facelift is and for the SL, Mercedes did actually a whole lot more than for other cars. They made it a much better looking car IMO and added some features that really make a difference. More power (which I appreciate ), a much better transmission, exhaust, improved ABC suspension and Apple CarPlay.
While viewed as minor to most, adding the exclusive Nappa leather options added the luxury it was missing in non-designo trim.
I never used the Distronic Plus much but that was enhanced quite a bit. Overall I found the facelift a great improvement.

I have never shared the opinion about the audio system, perhaps due to different preferences in music materials, strict use of Apple CarPlay audio (no Sirius and HD Audio was only NPR) and maybe I never expected an audiophile experience in a top down car at speed
Ah, Wolfman! Ever the defender of the marque! Of course, you make good points and I agree with most everything, except the audio, which I still feel is atrocious in a car of this caliber. How could I forget the addition of Exclusive Nappa Leather, an option that for me, really transforms the car. AND, why they couldn’t have added the one, very needed feature for a roadster, that would have been just so simple to add: a heated steering wheel, I just don’t know. Anyway, the 231’s are now considered dinosaurs—as are many of their drivers, like me.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

While our choice of cars have changed a bit, it doesn’t mean to ignore the qualities of SL.

I love driving the AMG GTC roadster more despite its many shortcomings against the SL. Probably because it is such a pure, uncompromising hardcore roadster.

The SL just has many practical qualities which allowed us to drive the car as a coupe throughout the year. Our AMG on the other hand spends 5 months a year in the garage. Still…

To me, there is little reason to complain about MB and what they have done/not done to the R232.
I understand the rationale wether I agree or not doesn’t matter, I am happy they build a new SL instead of canceling it altogether, along with all the another convertibles/cabs.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-05-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Goodwood (03-20-2023)