SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Lower front bumper fairing damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
Lower front bumper fairing damage

Thoughts, experiences, comments on the most aggravating issue I've had with my rig...it's not hitting the parking stop, it's the backing out when you didn't realize you pulled over the top of it. While backing out, the underside of the fairing catches the concrete (or the steel rebar rod if it's sticking up) and it has torn/ripped the fiberglass. Based on the breakaway of materials, it looks like this was a repeat instance prior to my purchase. Yes, yes...backing in is always the preference, so I've learned that lesson, but sometimes in a crowded/busy lot, just whipping in is the best thing. I'm surprised there is not a forward sensor to warn of parking block approach. The guy I met at the MB dealer said to just get a body shop to repair with a fiberglass/bondo/paint job, but, for this special investment, collector sort of car that I own, I'm considering getting a new one. I have done this three times since owning the car, even though I think I'm far enough back. Again, the real damage is not sliding over the block, it's when backing out and it grabs and tears. I've seen the SLIPLO thing that advertises to be a solution, but I'm struggling to think it will prevent that snag on backout (if I'm stupid enough to drive over another parking stop).

So, any experience here? Repair or replace? If replace, any suggested vendors for the part and/or cost? A short web search shows it may be an $800 part and that's before paint, extracting all the other pieces from the original, and install.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Pictures will help to see what exactly is damaged.
I assume you don’t have ABC; then you could just raise the car while backing out…

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-01-2023 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:27 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Sorry to hear about this. I know how I would feel. Like Wolfman mentioned this is definitely an example of a thread that needs pictures. I would probably just get it repaired and not replaced based on what you have said and without seeing the damage. "Lastly, I have done this three times since owning the car, even though I think I'm far enough back."

Ummmmm, you for sure should have learned your lesson before the 3rd time, but I hope you do not keep touching the stove top!
Snag some pics and keep us updated..

Originally Posted by Sn@kedriver
Thoughts, experiences, comments on the most aggravating issue I've had with my rig...it's not hitting the parking stop, it's the backing out when you didn't realize you pulled over the top of it. While backing out, the underside of the fairing catches the concrete (or the steel rebar rod if it's sticking up) and it has torn/ripped the fiberglass. Based on the breakaway of materials, it looks like this was a repeat instance prior to my purchase. Yes, yes...backing in is always the preference, so I've learned that lesson, but sometimes in a crowded/busy lot, just whipping in is the best thing. I'm surprised there is not a forward sensor to warn of parking block approach. The guy I met at the MB dealer said to just get a body shop to repair with a fiberglass/bondo/paint job, but, for this special investment, collector sort of car that I own, I'm considering getting a new one. I have done this three times since owning the car, even though I think I'm far enough back. Again, the real damage is not sliding over the block, it's when backing out and it grabs and tears. I've seen the SLIPLO thing that advertises to be a solution, but I'm struggling to think it will prevent that snag on backout (if I'm stupid enough to drive over another parking stop).

So, any experience here? Repair or replace? If replace, any suggested vendors for the part and/or cost? A short web search shows it may be an $800 part and that's before paint, extracting all the other pieces from the original, and install.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:15 PM

2013 SL550
Thanks for the sympathy, fellas. As for the repeat mistake, you just get to driving and living and looking around, then slide into a spot and really just don't think about front end clearance. The front end is also decievingly long, so I've found it's not easy to judge bumper position, particularly if you didn't get a bead on the parking stop. After the first couple events, I've actually parked, hopped out, and looked back over my shoulder and the rear end was sticking half or a quarter out of the spot lol. I drove a 2005 F250 6,0l Turbo Diesel until getting this rig, so the sight picture is a little different . See the damage photos below. Been a while since I took a closer look, but the first two pics show the complete tear all the way back. The last photo just shows a 'crimp' in the fairing by the passenger front fender. All in all, it's not horrible, and a good fiberglass guy can probably do a jam-up job, but over to y'all for further comment. [I do not believe I have the frame elevator option/capability; where would that be or how actuated?]

Old 05-01-2023, 11:46 PM

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Ouch, ​​​​​those are the things that nightmares are made of…
That front bumper cover is under $900 Online. PN: 231-885-04-25-9999
Not sure what a body shop charges per hour near you for fiberglass/abs repair, but by the time it’s all said and done, it might be close enough to choose the new part. Depending on where you’re located, I know there are places that offer repair service on those types of bumper covers too. They offer a pickup and drop off service.

​​These cars are primarily designed to drive at high rates of speed. They get there quickly, but inner city parking is a design afterthought. It’s more akin to docking a ship. Front overhang comparable to C3 Corvettes. Soft, unforgiving painted front and rear bumpers/covers. 19-20” rims with low profile tires are always a lapse of attention away from curb damage. I can’t imagine driving anything lower in any urban environment.

I always have someone guide me forward (or get out to check) when parking blocks are present. It’s just regular operating procedure when docking “the ship”.

Last edited by crconsulting; 05-01-2023 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Agree that a new bumper cover is the best route here. This is no bottom scrape!
Good thing there is no Carbon Fibre involved, otherwise the price would have skyrocketed.

I have seen a lot of pickup drivers just go forward until the tire hit the curb; something that can’t be done with any 2 door coupe or convertible.

Once repaired, just take a moment longer when parking; ideally just back in. It will take a bit of relearning. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Bitbytr (05-04-2023), ThatsMyDawg (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 03:21 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
100% Agree. I never ever pull in and always back in. I have done it for so long that its second nature to me.You do get better/quicker at it over time...

Originally Posted by Wolfman
just take a moment longer when parking; ideally just back in. It will take a bit of relearning. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by ThatsMyDawg:
Bitbytr (05-04-2023), crconsulting (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 08:26 PM

2013 SL550
Really appreciate the comments, fellas. I'm gonna get quotes for a cosmetic repair and total replacement. What I can't tell (yet) is whether this is an old wound just reopened. Someone with a trained eye took a quick glance and said that was his suspicion, so it leads me to question just what the integrity of that bumer cover really is. Funny not funny instance...I went to a Fundraiser Classic Car event and a guy was parking some import coupe in the designated parking area...and I heard that all too familiar bumper mangling sound and, you guess it, he ripped the crap out of the bumper cover backing out of a spot where he had slid over the bumper cover. Ooof. Think I've learned my lesson, esp. if I have to drop a couple grand to repair.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
13SL550,11CL550,61 190SL, 67 300SE, 54 220
Bumper

Don’t know if your interested but I just did a face lift to my 2013 SL550 and would like to sell the bumper along with a lot of other parts you may need.
It’s a complete bumper and I’m not looking for a lot. I can be reached at fsc60@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-26-2023, 05:46 PM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by fscir60
Don’t know if your interested but I just did a face lift to my 2013 SL550 and would like to sell the bumper along with a lot of other parts you may need.
It’s a complete bumper and I’m not looking for a lot. I can be reached at fsc60@sbcglobal.net
Hey thanks...I'll hit you up at the email. Not urgent need on my part as the car is not driven much ... and summer is upon us in S. Fla and lots of rain.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,279 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I have poor hearing, just ask my wife. But I can hear/feel the scrape if I park over the curb. I once actually used my GLOCK folded entrenching tool (shovel) to lift the front a couple of inches by pulling further forward and placing the folded tool behind the front wheel and then backing up. A 2x4 would have worked just as well. So, maybe keep a piece of scrap lumber in your trunk. And, when in doubt, I always check the position of the bumper whenever I park.