SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Massage sometimes doesn't work - buzz sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 12:40 PM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
Massage sometimes doesn't work - buzz sound

My driver's side massage has often not been working lately. When I try to turn it on (selecting options 1-4), if it makes a buzz sound (it seems like it is coming from behind the right side of the driver's seat) then it won't work. It usually does this sound twice. Sometimes it will work for a little while, then make the 2-buzz sound and stop working. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this sound means. It only does the buzz sequence once per driving session. After that, it will still not work if I try it again but will not make any additional sounds.

The dynamic seat bolsters work fine.

I watched the video here:
and the leak didn't have this buzz sound. I have an iCarSoft but it doesn't have anything to read the massage seat functions, as far as I can tell. There is a driver's seat option, but it just shows things like seat positioning and easy exit.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:18 AM

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
It sounds like you may have an leak.
Does everything (side bolsters and passenger seat functions) stop working once the massage stops working? If so, it's possible the pump is shutting down to protect it from over heating. This would also explain why it is working intermittently, i.e. the pump resets after a period of time.
The two buzzing noise may be the pump's initial activation, and the subsequent activation to compensate for the leak.

Mine did something very similar... I heard the pump's first activation, then, after a short period, a second activation before the pump went into protection mode and shut down at which point everything (massage and active side bolsters) on both seats stopped working. After a period of time (a few minutes) the pump reset and everything started working again.
Here's a link where you may find some useful info.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...lfunction.html

Good luck.

Last edited by hornethandler; 06-18-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: additional pump info
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (06-18-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:04 AM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
Originally Posted by hornethandler
It sounds like you may have an leak.
Does everything (side bolsters and passenger seat functions) stop working once the massage stops working? If so, it's possible the pump is shutting down to protect it from over heating. This would also explain why it is working intermittently, i.e. the pump resets after a period of time.
The two buzzing noise may be the pump's initial activation, and the subsequent activation to compensate for the leak.

Mine did something very similar... I heard the pump's first activation, then, after a short period, a second activation before the pump went into protection mode and shut down at which point everything (massage and active side bolsters) on both seats stopped working. After a period of time (a few minutes) the pump reset and everything started working again.
Here's a link where you may find some useful info.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...lfunction.html

Good luck.
The side bolsters still work even if the massage is not working. When the driver side massage does work, there are no buzz sounds upon it activating.

There are no issues with the passenger side. Everything works, and no buzz sounds.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
My massage feature doesn’t work and I don’t get any buzzing sounds. Leak? Fuse? ?????? It did work for a while right after purchasing, but quit shortly thereafter.

Last edited by SteveL1; 06-19-2024 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:36 AM

Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
SL63
I haven’t used massage feature yet. None of my passengers have either.
Among the reasons I don’t use it, is because I don’t want to have the same problem as the OP.
But I am also worried that they could decay from disuse.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:09 AM

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Originally Posted by billvp218
The side bolsters still work even if the massage is not working. When the driver side massage does work, there are no buzz sounds upon it activating.

There are no issues with the passenger side. Everything works, and no buzz sounds.
Since it seems isolated to the driver’s side massage function, you could start by checking the “driver’s seat massage function actuation motor” and related components.
Attached are some shop docs—originally provided by crconsulting—that will help you find the seat components.

Since the passenger side is working, it may be possible to swap/slave in a passenger side part to confirm the bad driver’s side part.

Last edited by hornethandler; 06-19-2024 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (06-21-2024)