SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: how to remove OBD II plug from lower dash panel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S550; 2019 SL 550; 2020 S 63
how to remove OBD II plug from lower dash panel?

Hi - How do you remove the OBD plug assembly from the lower dash panel (driver's side) from a 2019 SL 550? I removed the 2 screws holding it but it won't won't drop down. Do you have to remove the entire lower dash panel to be able to actually remove the plug? If so how do you that? The FYI... The issue started with the car failing NJ inspection Monday due to the lack of communication via the OBD II port. It is a Mercedes CPO vehicle that I purchased from California and just received this past Sunday. Looking on line about issues with the OBD port, I came accross a number of folks where the dealership had installed a GPS tracking device that used an OBD connector assembly to power the tracker but the so called "pass-thru" OBD capabilites failed. In checking my car this morning, sure enough the dearlership in California had installed a Spireon GPS Tracker. I was able to pry down the lower dash panel a bit after removing 2 screws and wiggle the tracking device out through the slot I created. Now I need to remove the Spireon OBD port and "Pass through" connector cable and re-install the original Mercedes OEM OBD port back into its rightful place. But I am stuck which leads me back to ask the original questions. Can I remove the OBD connector without removing the the entire lower dash panel (which it is normally fastened to) If so how? As mentioned I did remove the OBD's 2 screws but I can't get it to drop ( I tried a bit of prying force with a thin screwdriver but to no avail). If I need to remove the entire lower dash panel driver's side, how is that done? As mentioned I did remove two screws at the front of the panel and was able to create a space to remove the tracking device, but I don't see what else i can do to rermove the panel. Sorry for the long winded post - but any and all help and guidance would be greatly appreciated as I'm really stuck Thanks in advance Nick

Last edited by NickGambino; 06-18-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:56 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
I believe the OBD Connector is clipped in, but you may only be able to access the clips from the back.

If you need to drop the cover below the instrument panel, see attached is the WIS section regarding its removal.
Be careful not to break the heater duct on the panel. You may or may not not have to release the other connectors, but that should give you enough access to get to the back of the OBDII and wiring.
See Attached PDF from the WIS

Good Luck!
Attached Files

Last edited by crconsulting; 06-18-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by crconsulting
I believe the OBD Connector is clipped in, but you may only be able to access the clips from the back.

If you need to drop the cover below the instrument panel, see attached is the WIS section regarding its removal.
Be careful not to break the heater duct on the panel. You may or may not not have to release the other connectors, but that should give you enough access to get to the back of the OBDII and wiring.
See Attached PDF from the WIS

Good Luck!
Thank you for your response and for the informative PDF on removing the lower dash panel. I will give a try in the morning. If I’m unsuccessful then I’ll just have to bring in to my local MB dealer to remove the rest of the Spireon OBD receptacle and “OBD bypasses cable” & reinstall the OEM MB OBD receptacle in its rightful place. This has become a very frustrating experience. Nick
Old 06-19-2024, 06:31 AM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
If you have a CPO warranty then it should cover this issue, especially since it's causing it to fail inspection. Take it to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Bitbytr (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 04:27 PM

Hi -
It is CPO purchase. Car was shipped from CA to NJ. I'm attempting this process myself of removing the rest of the dealer installed Spireon GPS tracker wiring versus having to take it to my local MB dealer in NJ. Got the actual unit out & disconnected but still need to remove the Spireon OBD bypass cable and Spireon OBD receptacle. It is a simple process. The "how to" of the proper procedure for removal of the lower panel was the difficulty. The supplied PDF by CRconsulting is a big help. If all fails then I'll have to go through my MB dealer. Thanks, Nick.