SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: R231 Dreaded trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
R231 Dreaded trunk

Read like 10 posts about various issues with the trunk. Got an issue of my own that seems to have been solved by others replacing trunk latch, but I've replaced it twice and it doesn't solve the issue.
Trunk opens completely fine. Then i press button to lower it. It will lower and that's it. It will not even attempt to latch. I try to manually lower it - same story. It only attempts to latch if i use the button on the front driver door because it seems to slam the trunk harder, but then it will pull then pop up then pull then pop up a few times until it gives up. If i run out and hold the trunk down with my hands - it'll finally close sometimes. Not always. Takes a few tries. I got used latch replacement off eBay. It worked only the first time. Then started doing same thing. I thought its defective. Got that one replaced and same story with another one. Once installed. First press would lock perfectly. Open. Close - back to same ****. So mine and 2 others are doing same thing. I also noticed that the small metal latch inside the actuator would close and lock in place before it goes into my car and after i install it in my trunk it will attempt to close fully the first time around and then afterwards if i move that piece manually with finger to latch it will not lock in. In all cars if you move the metal in actuator it would lock in place. But in mine it stops locking.

Old 07-31-2024, 06:56 AM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
I replaced the latch on my 2013 when the trunk wasn't closing reliably in cold weather. I determined that a micro switch in the latch was sticking when it was cold.

That's probably not your problem given the weather. A couple of suggestions:

1. Check the adjustment of the striker that the latch hooks onto. That can be adjusted up and down. If you can hear the latch cycle normally but it doesn't close then this might be the problem.

2. There may be a broken wire in the cable that goes to the latch. Check the cable at the point where it bends with trunk lid movement. A couple of those wires connect to the micro switches, which tell the computer latch position.
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (Yesterday)
Old 07-31-2024, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550
For the adjustment of the striker. How do i adjust it? I didn't see anywhere it could be adjustable. Could you point where to look?
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by svmagnum
For the adjustment of the striker. How do i adjust it? I didn't see anywhere it could be adjustable. Could you point where to look?

See attached section from WIS.

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Adjust trunk lid.pdf (653.1 KB, 5 views)
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Originally Posted by crconsulting
See attached section from WIS.

Good Luck!
Yes. For the striker adjustment there's a small panel on the inside trim adjacent to the striker. Pop off that panel and you'll see bolts that hold the striker in place.