SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: The new SL was at Pebble Beach

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I'm not sure where this idea of the SL replacing the S 2-Door came from. The SL is not replacing the S 2-Door despite it being canned, that market was incredibly small, hence why it was canned. The first clue should have been the fact that its an AMG-only vehicle which doesn't fit with the S-Class philosophy. MB and AMG are emphasizing the SL to once again be an athletic and sporty handling roadster once again.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by js_cls
I'm not sure where this idea of the SL replacing the S 2-Door came from. The SL is not replacing the S 2-Door despite it being canned, that market was incredibly small, hence why it was canned. The first clue should have been the fact that its an AMG-only vehicle which doesn't fit with the S-Class philosophy. MB and AMG are emphasizing the SL to once again be an athletic and sporty handling roadster once again.
MB had issues selling the S-Class cab from the get go. Especially the V12 S65 trim. Although all were slow sellers.
Real sales of those would have been even lower if MB wouldn’t have had the habit to force allocations on dealers.
If a dealer wanted to get sufficient AMG and G-Wagon inventory, they would have to take them and usually blow them out at incredible discounts.
That obviously varied by region but the car was just cancelled and not replaced by anything.

The AMG GT Roadsters were also not selling as well as the coupes as they weren't a good fit for Mercedes convertible customers. Too difficult to get into, a bit too spartan inside and too sporty of a ride.

The new SL is designed to be softer than the new AMG GT coupes even in its highest performance trim. So this isn’t just a name change from GT to SL either.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-02-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by Wolfman
MB had issues selling the S-Class cab from the get go. Especially the V12 S65 trim. Although all were slow sellers.
Real sales of those would have been even lower if MB wouldn’t have had the habit to force allocations on dealers.
If a dealer wanted to get sufficient AMG and G-Wagon inventory, they would have to take them and usually blow them out at incredible discounts.
That obviously varied by region but the car was just cancelled and not replaced by anything.

The AMG GT Roadsters were also not selling as well as the coupes as they weren't a good fit for Mercedes convertible customers. Too difficult to get into, a bit too spartan inside and too sporty of a ride.

The new SL is designed to be softer than the new AMG GT coupes even in its highest performance trim. So this isn’t just a name change from GT to SL either.
We sold every S 63 convertible we could get our hands on. The S 550's cabs were very slow sellers. Same with the V12's It took us forever to sell our Maybach S convertible.
We had great luck with GT convertibles. I think that is more of a market specific thing.
I think the new SL will be a great fit. The convertible market favors smaller sporty cars. The SL will slot in above the 911 and below Ferrari and Lamborghini. Right back to it's roots.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mercedesmax
We sold every S 63 convertible we could get our hands on. The S 550's cabs were very slow sellers. Same with the V12's It took us forever to sell our Maybach S convertible.
We had great luck with GT convertibles. I think that is more of a market specific thing.
I think the new SL will be a great fit. The convertible market favors smaller sporty cars. The SL will slot in above the 911 and below Ferrari and Lamborghini. Right back to it's roots.
CA, AZ, TX, FL are great regions for top down cars. Other regions not so much. I have seen S65 cabs sold for well below triple net rather quickly instead lingering forever on showroom floors.

Our GTC sits in the garage for 5 months a year due to weather. This is where the new SL scores big; while the soft top isn't perfect for winter, AWD is... This will be a very usable car.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
My initial impression with the car in real life, was an upgraded AMG GT Roadster, from the inside and the outside. Beautiful, like the AMG GT Roadster also was. And as you could read in several articles, it will be built on the same MSA platform as the AMG GT Coupe.

That the MB marketing department decided to call it the new SL is purely their call. Nothing wrong with that, but just so you know what to expect. It is like the BMW 8-series, which in fact is "just" a new 6-series, so a sportier coupe/convertible version of the 5-series (comparable with the E Coupe/Cabriolet). Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect a 7-serie coupe/convertible in quality, etc. (like the S coupe/cabrio).
You are way too caught up in this platform stuff man. I don't get the point of this constant speculation about what the car will be or what it's based on before actually driving it. It's an SL. It's starting with a totally new space frame/platform, so it's not just an upgraded GT. I mean even with the BMWs what difference does any of that make if the car presents itself well? The 8-series is overpriced, but you wouldn't know what it was based on unless someone told you that. How is the quality of the 8-series lower than the 7-series? I'd love to hear the differences. I seriously doubt the marketing department just called over and said hey that updated GT that you're doing, lets call it an SL - if they did though, what are the deficiencies of them doing this when the GT was already an SL like, high end car to begin with?

M
Old 10-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Germancar1
You are way too caught up in this platform stuff man. I don't get the point of this constant speculation about what the car will be or what it's based on before actually driving it. It's an SL. It's starting with a totally new space frame/platform, so it's not just an upgraded GT. I mean even with the BMWs what difference does any of that make if the car presents itself well? The 8-series is overpriced, but you wouldn't know what it was based on unless someone told you that. How is the quality of the 8-series lower than the 7-series? I'd love to hear the differences. I seriously doubt the marketing department just called over and said hey that updated GT that you're doing, lets call it an SL - if they did though, what are the deficiencies of them doing this when the GT was already an SL like, high end car to begin with?

M
The BMW comments are a bit odd. The 7 series is a definite step down from the 8 in price and equal to better in quality. Our M8 individual interior is pretty nice as well. Overpriced sure, just like many AMG’s.
The 8 series does have the carbon core body unlike the 5 series…
Old 10-03-2021, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
The 8-series is overpriced, but you wouldn't know what it was based on unless someone told you that.
It happens that I was just playing around on BMW's site and it looks like the 8 series received a huge price reduction for 2022 (looks like around $15k for all models). It now seems more in line with where they should have been priced from the beginning.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilner
It happens that I was just playing around on BMW's site and it looks like the 8 series received a huge price reduction for 2022 (looks like around $15k for all models). It now seems more in line with where they should have been priced from the beginning.
Yep that is why they took a year off with the M8 Coupe and Convertible models. I believe that only competition models are available now too, so there is that. With the car market the way it is now, maybe the depreciation won't be a steep for these.

M
Old 10-17-2021, 08:09 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Totally agree with your point that the (new) SL does indeed not replace the S cabrio (that was in fact the only point I did try to make ).

And yes, I did see the new SL myself, in real life, inside and outside (without any wrap), but did sign a NDA, so I can not disclose any factual or technical details before October 20th (official presentation date), but only what my first impression is comparing it to the previous SL and the S cabriolet.

If you want to see a small part of the front, look here: https://mercedesblog.com/first-photo...enz-sl-leaked/
The official release date is bumped for 8 days, so for the ones who did not the the new SL yet during the several "sneak previews", have a little more patience before making your own, personal judgement about the car:
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/me...-extra-8-days/

(The red one, was the one I did see back in August)
The following users liked this post:
mortgagemaster (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550
Good information! I'm #5 on my dealer's list for an order as soon as it opens. Hoping the DOG will be issued close to the launch date so I can make my selections.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by mortgagemaster
Good information! I'm #5 on my dealer's list for an order as soon as it opens. Hoping the DOG will be issued close to the launch date so I can make my selections.
This isn't the launch date. We are probably months away from the DOG. This is just the introduction for the new SL.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Next week is going to be quite a week. A new SL, Corvette Z06 Coupe and Convertible and the new Range Rover. ALL IN ONE WEEK!!! You rich guys gets your checkbooks ready.

M
Old 10-20-2021, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Next week is going to be quite a week. A new SL, Corvette Z06 Coupe and Convertible and the new Range Rover. ALL IN ONE WEEK!!! You rich guys gets your checkbooks ready.

M
A very excited week indeed, and looks like one of the three has leaked early...

Old 10-21-2021, 01:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 SL63
Outgoing SL is not based on the E class platform.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 SL63
As I understand it is moving from the E-class platform to the MSA platform (also used for the new AMG GT): https://mercedesblog.com/first-co-dr...w-mercedes-sl/

See more here: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...en-generation/

A few years ago, MB had the choice of 6(!) different convertibles: SLK, SL, C, E, S and AMG GT Roadster. From now on, there will be only 2(!): C/E and SL. Where the new SL is more an upgraded AMG GT Roadster (in size, driving, etc), and is different class then a SL imho, let alone a >5 meter long S cabrio.

Nothing wrong with that, it certainly will be a major upgrade from the AMG GT Roadster, but since MB tries to get all 6 target groups in the 2 open cars left, they certainly will loose customers that are not in for a roadster, but want a large, luxourious but sporty converible. For example air supsension will not be offered on the new SL, it will a have smaller wheelbase then the current SL. etc.
Outgoing SL has never had air suspension, nor did the previous generation