SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: The new SL was at Pebble Beach

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes G63 AMG, Ferrari California
The new SL was at Pebble Beach

Unfortunately no photos, the phones were locked up.

You were able to enter a room and view the upcoming SL model - stunner! As previewed 2+2 sitting (tight for an adult but kids should fit).

There will be 2 variants coming to the States now, SL55 and SL63… more to come.

The car is highly optioned with almost no options to add other the CC brakes, premium sound system, and a few other.

The soft top SL is back…
Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
SL55 I6 or I4?
SL63 - V8 no electrics?

M
Old 08-16-2021, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
There seems to have been two people now saying 55 and not 53, is MB returning to this nomenclature?

I’m hoping for an I6 in the 55, but wouldn’t be surprised to see the M139 since its an AMG engine technically.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 435 Likes on 301 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by js_cls
There seems to have been two people now saying 55 and not 53, is MB returning to this nomenclature?

I’m hoping for an I6 in the 55, but wouldn’t be surprised to see the M139 since its an AMG engine technically.
If I remember right, I believe that one in PB was an SL63. To be honest, I was talking to the Mercedes guys and looking at some different aspects of the car but didn’t pay too much attention to badging. But the guy I went with noticed the badging was SL63.

Last edited by crconsulting; 08-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Maybe the SL63 badge is Mercedes last attempt at camouflage to keep us guessing......😊
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
crconsulting (08-16-2021), mickhoog (08-25-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:59 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Cool

Originally Posted by mrross27
Unfortunately no photos, the phones were locked up.

You were able to enter a room and view the upcoming SL model - stunner! As previewed 2+2 sitting (tight for an adult but kids should fit).

There will be 2 variants coming to the States now, SL55 and SL63… more to come.

The car is highly optioned with almost no options to add other the CC brakes, premium sound system, and a few other.

The soft top SL is back…
Probably depends where you come from: it is of course a beautiful car, but I was not impressed. If you come from an AMG GT Roadster you probably feel at home and have a great upgrade. If you come from a S cabriolet, you will feel it as a downgrade (at least I did). Much less luxorious in interior, tech, etc. Since the "old" SL was based on E-class chassis/drivetrain, and the new one will be based on the even shorter "new AMG GT" chassis/drivetrain, you can imagine that customers who like a longer wheelbase and comfort and sporty in one car (like the S63) might not take the jump.
The following users liked this post:
mortgagemaster (10-18-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The SL has never been a substitute for the S Coupe/Cabrio, though I don't see how the tech in the S Coupe could be superior to a new SL. One is a roadster the other was a true 4-seat Cabriolet. Where are you getting this from that the R231 was based on the E-Class chassis? The SL hasn't been based on anything related to the since the R129 days.

M
Old 09-29-2021, 04:29 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The SL has never been a substitute for the S Coupe/Cabrio, though I don't see how the tech in the S Coupe could be superior to a new SL. One is a roadster the other was a true 4-seat Cabriolet. Where are you getting this from that the R231 was based on the E-Class chassis? The SL hasn't been based on anything related to the since the R129 days.

M
As I understand it is moving from the E-class platform to the MSA platform (also used for the new AMG GT): https://mercedesblog.com/first-co-dr...w-mercedes-sl/

See more here: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...en-generation/

A few years ago, MB had the choice of 6(!) different convertibles: SLK, SL, C, E, S and AMG GT Roadster. From now on, there will be only 2(!): C/E and SL. Where the new SL is more an upgraded AMG GT Roadster (in size, driving, etc), and is different class then a SL imho, let alone a >5 meter long S cabrio.

Nothing wrong with that, it certainly will be a major upgrade from the AMG GT Roadster, but since MB tries to get all 6 target groups in the 2 open cars left, they certainly will loose customers that are not in for a roadster, but want a large, luxourious but sporty converible. For example air supsension will not be offered on the new SL, it will a have smaller wheelbase then the current SL. etc.

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 09-29-2021 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
As I understand it is moving from the E-class platform to the MSA platform (also used for the new AMG GT): https://mercedesblog.com/first-co-dr...w-mercedes-sl/

A few years ago, MB had the choice of 6(!) different convertibles: SLK, SL, C, E, S and AMG GT Roadster. From now on, there will be only 2(!): C/E and SL. Where the new SL is more an upgraded AMG GT Roadster (in size, driving, etc), and is different class then a SL imho, let alone a >5 meter long S cabrio.

Nothing wrong with that, it certainly will be a major upgrade from the AMG GT Roadster, but since MB tries to get all 6 target groups in the 2 open cars left, they certainly will loose customers that are not in for a roadster, but want a large, luxourious but sporty converible. For example air supsension will not be offered on the new SL, it will a have smaller wheelbase then the current SL. etc.
Where are you getting your information?

Dealer employees who attended product training have confirmed yesterday that both length and wheelbase are increased compared to the R231. No official details on the type of suspension, but according to many at the event, an all new suspension setup with front-axle lift will debut on the new SL.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 sl550
There was a video posted today, since removed, from a blogger at the testing track in Birmingham, Alabama, who says both the SL55 and 63 are V8s with on a completely new aluminum frame that is a bit longer and wider than the R231. Had some great views of the interior and exterior of the cars.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HAWKiS63

I don't see what the point is here honestly. You guys here get too caught up in what platform something is on and not looking at the vehicle itself. NO one would have known what platform the SL was based on unless you were told. The article says that it was based on the E-Class platform, I've never seen or known that to be the case. Why would the SL need air suspension? It's never had it before and most sporty cars of this ilk don't have air suspension. The R232's wheelbase is like 4 inches longer than the current SL. Your information is just totally wrong man. You're trying to create an issue where there isn't one without having seen or driven the car yet. The SL and S Coupe/Cabrio are separate cars, this about Mercedes trying to put all open air customers in one car is just made up media or MB marketing nonsense. It isn't going to happen. A 2-seat roadster, even with 2 for show rear seats, can't replace a 4-seat Cabrio like the S Cabriolet totally. A SL is an SL, not an S Cabrio or SLK or anything else. If there were so many buyers that wanted a large convertible like the S Cabrio then they would have bought enough of them to keep from cancelling it.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 09-29-2021 at 04:54 PM.
js_cls (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
I don't understand why people keep calling it a roadster.....it is not a roadster IMHO.

Roadster defines a vehicle that has an open top, two doors, two seats, and is made for sport. .

Old 09-29-2021, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The SL has always been a roadster. Two useless seats in the back doesn't change that nor does it make it a 4-seat Cabriolet replacement. Sport Light is the name of the vehicle, so yeah sport and as AMG is in charge of this one, Sport is the name of the game here.

M
js_cls (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The SL has always been a roadster. Two useless seats in the back doesn't change that nor does it make it a 4-seat Cabriolet replacement. Sport Light is the name of the vehicle, so yeah sport and as AMG is in charge of this one, Sport is the name of the game here.

M
This.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see what the point is here honestly. You guys here get too caught up in what platform something is on and not looking at the vehicle itself. NO one would have known what platform the SL was based on unless you were told. The article says that it was based on the E-Class platform, I've never seen or known that to be the case. Why would the SL need air suspension? It's never had it before and most sporty cars of this ilk don't have air suspension. The R232's wheelbase is like 4 inches longer than the current SL. Your information is just totally wrong man. You're trying to create an issue where there isn't one without having seen or driven the car yet. The SL and S Coupe/Cabrio are separate cars, this about Mercedes trying to put all open air customers in one car is just made up media or MB marketing nonsense. It isn't going to happen. A 2-seat roadster, even with 2 for show rear seats, can't replace a 4-seat Cabrio like the S Cabriolet totally. A SL is an SL, not an S Cabrio or SLK or anything else. If there were so many buyers that wanted a large convertible like the S Cabrio then they would have bought enough of them to keep from cancelling it.

M
Sad reality is that even for Rolls Royce and Bentley, purveyor of classic luxury 4 seat cabriolets sees their customers buy their SUV's instead. Rolls Royce has already discontinued their Dawn here and globally in 2023. We'll see if they get replaced...
It's a small shrinking niche and Mercedes may not need more than 1 or 2 convertibles...
Old 09-29-2021, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sad reality is that even for Rolls Royce and Bentley, purveyor of classic luxury 4 seat cabriolets sees their customers buy their SUV's instead. Rolls Royce has already discontinued their Dawn here and globally in 2023. We'll see if they get replaced...
It's a small shrinking niche and Mercedes may not need more than 1 or 2 convertibles...
Yeah I was quite shocked to see those leave the U.S market, they seems popular, especially the Dawn in their key markets FL, CA etc. Some kind of compliance issue was their official word, whatever that means. This new Spectre concept they showed today looks like EV replacement for the Wraith.

M
Old 09-30-2021, 08:57 AM

M
I will not argue the Sport Light part of your comment.. I never said it was not Sport Light.

However, you need to look up the definition of a roadster.. A roadster has two seats in the definition of almost anywhere you want to research. Google it. Maybe not 100% of the definitions call it two seater cars, but almost all definitions of a roadster define it just the same as I did above. Look it up.

Anybody can call it one....but it does not meet the definition.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
And a coupe by definition has 2 doors, yet everyone makes 4 door coupes now. Go figure.

I look forward to seeing the new SL; I thought it was just going to be a new version of the AMG GT, which is a slight turnoff to those who liked the size and feel of the last R230/231, but if you guys are saying it's a little longer than the R230/231, then that's somewhat interesting....
Old 09-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Panama
I will not argue the Sport Light part of your comment.. I never said it was not Sport Light.

However, you need to look up the definition of a roadster.. A roadster has two seats in the definition of almost anywhere you want to research. Google it. Maybe not 100% of the definitions call it two seater cars, but almost all definitions of a roadster define it just the same as I did above. Look it up.

It doesn't meet definition but if this would have been the first SL with 4 seats it would be more relevant.
There clearly wasn't an uproar before when the R107 had them and that was the second longest built Mercedes model in history... No need to cherry-pick just the last 2 SL models and call them the "real" SL
Old 09-30-2021, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viper98912
And a coupe by definition has 2 doors, yet everyone makes 4 door coupes now. Go figure.

I look forward to seeing the new SL; I thought it was just going to be a new version of the AMG GT, which is a slight turnoff to those who liked the size and feel of the last R230/231, but if you guys are saying it's a little longer than the R230/231, then that's somewhat interesting....
The car starts looking better the more camo disappears and having a luxury vs AMG or Sport line (forgot what this is called) should appease many that look for a less aggressive design and performance. All interior pics that Mercedes showed are apparently the luxury line with the performance version looking very similar to the GT models...
A friend of ours saw it in Pebble Beach but didn't like it due to its overhangs but I am looking forward to seeing and driving it. The car was unfortunately not on display at Laguna Seca the last few days
Old 09-30-2021, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I don't see what the relevancy is or why it would matter. The rear seats are package shelves at best, for all intents and purposes it's a roadster.

M
Old 10-02-2021, 09:10 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
M
Totally agree with your point that the (new) SL does indeed not replace the S cabrio (that was in fact the only point I did try to make ).

And yes, I did see the new SL myself, in real life, inside and outside (without any wrap), but did sign a NDA, so I can not disclose any factual or technical details before October 20th (official presentation date), but only what my first impression is comparing it to the previous SL and the S cabriolet.

If you want to see a small part of the front, look here: https://mercedesblog.com/first-photo...enz-sl-leaked/
Old 10-02-2021, 09:19 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Viper98912

My initial impression with the car in real life, was an upgraded AMG GT Roadster, from the inside and the outside. Beautiful, like the AMG GT Roadster also was. And as you could read in several articles, it will be built on the same MSA platform as the AMG GT Coupe.

That the MB marketing department decided to call it the new SL is purely their call. Nothing wrong with that, but just so you know what to expect. It is like the BMW 8-series, which in fact is "just" a new 6-series, so a sportier coupe/convertible version of the 5-series (comparable with the E Coupe/Cabriolet). Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect a 7-serie coupe/convertible in quality, etc. (like the S coupe/cabrio).

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 10-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:50 AM

So.....they were not selling enough of the true SL roadster or the S Cabrio. So, the idea was marketing decided to reinvent the S Cabrio, let AMG play with it, make an upgraded S car, and slap an iconic SL badge on it. Problem solved. Move two model buyers into one S model and maybe the sales will be enough.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:55 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
So.....they were not selling enough of the true SL roadster or the S Cabrio. So, the idea was marketing decided to reinvent the S Cabrio, let AMG play with it, make an upgraded S car, and slap an iconic SL badge on it. Problem solved. Move two model buyers into one S model and maybe the sales will be enough.
That could indeed be the plan, but let's see how many previous S or SL buyers will go for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: The new SL was at Pebble Beach