SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Mercedes-AMG Unveils the New 7th Generation SL Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 05:55 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by thunderbenz
Disclaimer: This is not directed at you, Wolfman and I'm also not some diehard R231 guy.

In response to these reviews you mentioned, if the SL is to "come back to what it should have been in the first place," it should've been a smaller, lighter, n/a inline 6er, with an optional hard top roof, which it obviously isn't. Ok, I can accept it having a turbo. Said argument also would presume that Merc's 59 years of production of the SL was in vain as it was never "what it should have been," a "gullwing" era SL that was produced for a mere 9 years. Moreover, even these 1st gen SLs had optional hard tops so not sure about these soft top arguments. The 59 years of production established the SL as a solid and luxurious roadster with a hard top option (and later a retractable hard top) for people to drive spiritly and enjoy a scenic drive with a secure roof. It was basically a S class convertible.

There was a reason for me buying a R231 SL (I'm in my late 40s BTW) , but I have no reason to ever buy this R232 "SL". Why? If I had $125K (base price for a SL53) to spend on a fast, convertible car, then 100% I would buy the better handling, better driving, better interior, better looking, better build, better practically everything, a new Porsche 992 (911) Cab, which may be even better priced at $121K.

My ultimate point is, just call it what it really is: an AMG GT Cab., not a SL. IMHO, the SL as we know it is dead.
I agree completely.

Additionally- reports from this morning indicate the SL43 will have a 4-cylinder engine. This is the ultimate insult to the idea of a Mercedes-Benz SL.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by 348SStb
I agree completely.

Additionally- reports from this morning indicate the SL43 will have a 4-cylinder engine. This is the ultimate insult to the idea of a Mercedes-Benz SL.
It wouldn’t be the first SL to have a 4-cylinder…
Old 02-28-2022, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Disclaimer: This is not directed at you, Wolfman and I'm also not some diehard R231 guy.

In response to these reviews you mentioned, if the SL is to "come back to what it should have been in the first place," it should've been a smaller, lighter, n/a inline 6er, with an optional hard top roof, which it obviously isn't. Ok, I can accept it having a turbo. Said argument also would presume that Merc's 59 years of production of the SL was in vain as it was never "what it should have been," a "gullwing" era SL that was produced for a mere 9 years. Moreover, even these 1st gen SLs had optional hard tops so not sure about these soft top arguments. The 59 years of production established the SL as a solid and luxurious roadster with a hard top option (and later a retractable hard top) for people to drive spiritly and enjoy a scenic drive with a secure roof. It was basically a S class convertible.

There was a reason for me buying a R231 SL (I'm in my late 40s BTW) , but I have no reason to ever buy this R232 "SL". Why? If I had $125K (base price for a SL53) to spend on a fast, convertible car, then 100% I would buy the better handling, better driving, better interior, better looking, better build, better practically everything, a new Porsche 992 (911) Cab, which may be even better priced at $121K.

My ultimate point is, just call it what it really is: an AMG GT Cab., not a SL. IMHO, the SL as we know it is dead.
There seems to be some ongoing confusion about this. The new SL isn't anywhere close to the AMG GT(or C or R) roadster. Those cars are uncompromising sports cars with very limited practicality (in a good way) and a ride quality that most Mercedes customers can't handle. It's also 700 lbs lighter (weighs less than a 992 cab btw.).

The SL on the other hand is an AMG but build for Mercedes driver comforts with a soft suspension, all entertainment goodies, LED light show and all wheel drive. The new SL55/63 are a perfect replacement for the S63 cab and SL63. Less so for the SL450 or SL550. Those customers will have to wait for a lesser SL model...
In regards to tops, hard tops are simply out. Soft tops are better these days, less weight, lower center of gravity and it didn't work for the cars seat configuration.

I for one loved the hardtop with the magic sky but understand the reasoning. The only two things that annoy me on the new SL are the weight and the clumsy windscreen design.

The following users liked this post:
wizee (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by Wolfman
If you read just about any review so far, the point is that the SL has come back to what it should have been in the first place. Haven't read glowing SL reviews like this for decades...
Yes, an AWD ragtop with useless rear seats.

But wait, the old SLs did not have AWD and those nostalgic SLs were on the road long before Tesla invented a tablet installed in the center console to distract the driver and reflect the sun.
places (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 01:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2010 R350 4matic W251
There seems to be some ongoing confusion about this. The new SL isn't anywhere close to the AMG GT(or C or R) roadster. Those cars are uncompromising sports cars with very limited practicality (in a good way) and a ride quality that most Mercedes customers can't handle. It's also 700 lbs lighter (weighs less than a 992 cab btw.).

The SL on the other hand is an AMG but build for Mercedes driver comforts with a soft suspension, all entertainment goodies, LED light show and all wheel drive. The new SL55/63 are a perfect replacement for the S63 cab and SL63. Less so for the SL450 or SL550. Those customers will have to wait for a lesser SL model...
In regards to tops, hard tops are simply out. Soft tops are better these days, less weight, lower center of gravity and it didn't work for the cars seat configuration.

I for one loved the hardtop with the magic sky but understand the reasoning. The only two things that annoy me on the new SL are the weight and the clumsy windscreen design.
Wolfman, the 2023 AMG GT is the same as the SL, but in coupe form. So, my point is why not call it the AMG GT cab/roadster? The GT models you are referring to are also dead.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:54 PM

2010 R350 4matic W251
Basically, Merc has an identity crisis as I mentioned before. They developed the SLS as the "gullwing" successor - it actual had gullwings. It also made a convertible version of the SLS, which should have been the SL. But in their pursuit of being in the "sports" car market with the likes of the 911, they morphed the SLS to the AMG GT and R, etc. Now, they don't know what market they are in IMHO and seemed to just say f-it, let's make a new 2023 AMG GT, then chop the roof & give it a soft top and just call it the SL.

Either call it the SL in roadster version and SL coupe in the coupe version -or- go with the GT insignia through the model line. LOL. Either way, my money is on the 992 cab. LOL.

Last edited by thunderbenz; 02-28-2022 at 01:56 PM.
places (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Wolfman, the 2023 AMG GT is the same as the SL, but in coupe form. So, my point is why not call it the AMG GT cab/roadster? The GT models you are referring to are also dead.
They can call it whatever they want, it's a GT convertible IMO. The fact that there are conflicting opinions proves enough. Easy to confuse, so it's a softer driving GT Coupe convertible with 700 extra pounds minus 2 extra unusable seats...okay.

If they called it a GT convertible, they would need to develop a new SL or sadly retire the model. This way they kill two with one stone. If you want a GT in convertible form, get the 63 for 63E, otherwise settle for the 55 with what I suspect will be an optional luxury package.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:13 PM

2010 R350 4matic W251
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or anything like that, but I just thought of something funny with the car naming game.

Remember when Ford decided it was a great idea to name the 4 door EV Mach-E a Mustang? What a joke! I feel bad for all the diehard Mustang people out there that they now have to share the legend of the Mustang name with a 4 door crossover EV washing machine. (I know the future is EV, but I don't have to like it LOL). It would have sold fine as just the Mach-E, but corp-dorks had to drag the Mustang name under the bus. Great gawd, who approves this crap?! Peace to Ukraine.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:53 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
Originally Posted by places
They can call it whatever they want, it's a GT convertible IMO. The fact that there are conflicting opinions proves enough. Easy to confuse, so it's a softer driving GT Coupe convertible with 700 extra pounds minus 2 extra unusable seats...okay.

If they called it a GT convertible, they would need to develop a new SL or sadly retire the model. This way they kill two with one stone. If you want a GT in convertible form, get the 63 for 63E, otherwise settle for the 55 with what I suspect will be an optional luxury package.
They should really just call the next generation AMG GT coupe the SL coupe. The key features of the AMG GT were a long hood, low-mounted dry sump engine, and rear transaxle layout, all giving a rear-biased weight distribution. The new one appears to lack those. The new SL, being a heavy soft-top four seater, bridges the gap between the old SL and the S cabriolet, while bringing in a little bit of the AMG GT's sportiness too. The new AMG GT SL coupe is likewise bridging the gap between the old SL and S coupe, and perhaps also the C coupe, while again bringing some of the current/old AMG GT's sportiness, though not its defining features.

Last edited by wizee; 02-28-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

While they are the same platform, Mercedes says the will be nothing like the SL and I expect as much. They will share the layout (unfortunately) but the GT will be a more hardcore sports car like it is today.
The SL is a soft cruiser by all reports and has a different customer base.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slk55er
Yes, an AWD ragtop with useless rear seats.

But wait, the old SLs did not have AWD and those nostalgic SLs were on the road long before Tesla invented a tablet installed in the center console to distract the driver and reflect the sun.
Always love people discussing cars that they haven't seen, sat in or driven . AWD ragtop with useless rear seats also describe 911 cabs; those are horrible too...

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-28-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or anything like that, but I just thought of something funny with the car naming game.

Remember when Ford decided it was a great idea to name the 4 door EV Mach-E a Mustang? What a joke! I feel bad for all the diehard Mustang people out there that they now have to share the legend of the Mustang name with a 4 door crossover EV washing machine. (I know the future is EV, but I don't have to like it LOL). It would have sold fine as just the Mach-E, but corp-dorks had to drag the Mustang name under the bus. Great gawd, who approves this crap?! Peace to Ukraine.

Mercedes has killed/are killing off all convertibles due to slow sales. The C & E Class coupe becomes the CLE, the AMG GT roadster, SL, S-Class Coupe becomes the SL. The SLC just went the way of the DoDo bird. So 2 out of 5 survive.
The SL has the name plate worth preserving and AMG has been tasked to design the car that delivers performance for that price point (and the SL history) and make Mercedes customers happy in terms of ride quality and practicality.

This is what AMG came up with and this is what it is. The AMG SL.
Anytime when companies change things there will be those that bemoan those changes. We had 8 SL's including 3 R231's and moved to an AMG GTC. I'll see how the new SL fares when I have a chance to see it/drive it...
The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfman:
California John (03-01-2022), crconsulting (02-28-2022), van_rider (03-09-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The only confusion is self inflicted here as usual lol. I don't see what is so hard to understand here. The SL and outgoing AMG GT are vastly different in character and packaging. The way they drive, feel, sit etc. The next AMG GT coupe will be far more hard edged than the SL is. What is there to be confused about? Two cars share a platform yet are tuned differently.

M
Old 03-08-2022, 05:14 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Always love people discussing cars that they haven't seen, sat in or driven . AWD ragtop with useless rear seats also describe 911 cabs; those are horrible too...
Had a test drive around a small circuit, with a professional driver, and it confirms my earlier experience: it is a great drivers car, more a new (but heavier and more luxiourious) AMG GT Roadster then anything else. Sitting position is (almost) as low as in a AMG GT. In a way the new AMG SL competes more with a 911 then any other MB or AMG car before.

Recommend the ceramic brakes for serious driving. The exhaust sound is great, comparable with AMG GT, less aggressive then an GTR, but a little more aggressive then my S63 (all in S+/R mode).

Impressed by the build quality and the rigidity. Many cars are build every day in Bremen now to be delivered worldwide.
The following 4 users liked this post by HAWKiS63:
California John (03-08-2022), js_cls (03-08-2022), mmmamg (03-09-2022), Wolfman (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:25 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Had a test drive around a small circuit, with a professional driver, and it confirms my earlier experience: it is a great drivers car, more a new (but heavier and more luxiourious) AMG GT Roadster then anything else. Sitting position is (almost) as low as in a AMG GT. In a way the new AMG SL competes more with a 911 then any other MB or AMG car before.

Recommend the ceramic brakes for serious driving. The exhaust sound is great, comparable with AMG GT, less aggressive then an GTR, but a little more aggressive then my S63 (all in S+/R mode).

Impressed by the build quality and the rigidity. Many cars are build every day in Bremen now to be delivered worldwide.
Thanks for your review. Can you expand on the test drive experience a bit more? Steering feel, steering quickness, body roll, view of the road, wind-buffeting/ air movement with top down (if you drove it with top down), etc?

Can you please specify which R231 SL to which you may be able compare the R232 SL?

I’m surprised by your comment about competing with a 911. Besides the back seats, I don’t see how it compares. It’s a much larger car and much heavier.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63

How were you lucky enough to drive one this early?!?! I’m super jealous!
Old 03-09-2022, 06:16 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by 348SStb
Thanks for your review. Can you expand on the test drive experience a bit more? Steering feel, steering quickness, body roll, view of the road, wind-buffeting/ air movement with top down (if you drove it with top down), etc?

Can you please specify which R231 SL to which you may be able compare the R232 SL?

I’m surprised by your comment about competing with a 911. Besides the back seats, I don’t see how it compares. It’s a much larger car and much heavier.
Steering sharpness, speed, etc is comparable with the AMG GT imho, so more direct, responsive then the previous SL or S63, body roll was minimal (car is 35% stiffer then AMG GT iirc), since you sit deeper then in the previous SL or S63, your view is more on the front/nose of the car, but the road ahead is visible enough imho. Drove open, with wind deflector, then less wind turbulence as in my S63, comparable with the AMG GT roadster).

Difficult to describe, but I would call it a "more agile and responsive" version of the previous SL and S63 cabriolet.

The AMG GT was even more agile, but not a huge difference, probably because the difference in weight is compensated somewhat by the extra torque this setup has (the MCT-9 can handle more torque then the double clutch transmission in the AMG GT). This also makes it an option for 911 drivers, since in real life driving, there is much less difference then the specs on paper suggests. Of course if you want a really track focussed car, where every (milli)second counts, a Porker might be the better choice.

Originally Posted by js_cls
How were you lucky enough to drive one this early?!?! I’m super jealous!
Living few hours from the factory has its advantages
The following 4 users liked this post by HAWKiS63:
brucewinter (03-09-2022), California John (03-09-2022), crconsulting (03-09-2022), js_cls (03-09-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 06:27 PM

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Cayenne Turbo GT, MB GLA 45 AMG, MB SL AMG 63
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YgX11pY2qK1hvX
Old 03-24-2022, 01:23 PM

It is always good to be loved. But I have sat in, owned and driven a GTS, a SLK55, a SL500 and an SL550 and it is disappointing to see the deterioration of the SL into this new, compromised and "improved" model. I'm sure this will be an enjoyable car to drive (if one is not distracted by the Tesla display) but it should be called something else. As I've suggested before, there are other letters in the alphabet.

Yet it seems OK that some enthusiasts who have never owned at least one SL -- one SL with the convenience of a retractable or replaceable hardtop, an SL with a cockpit that embraces the occupants without the large cavity containing a useless rear seat, an SL which has rear-wheel drive and can spin the rear wheels and be driven like a traditional sports car without the crutch of AWD, an SL in which it is the dash in front of the driver actually displays information -- it seems OK that these enthusiasts who have never owned at least one SL promote this latest vehicle as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Really? But I'm sure there is also unquestioning love for these bloggers as well.

I expect this vehicle to be a pleasure to drive much of the time. But just because it's possible to add tiny rear seats, add rarely-needed AWD, save money and weight with a vulnerable rag top and imitate a Tesla display, doesn't mean these should be incorporated. It just is a shame to corrupt the SL lineage with this compromise vehicle.

Last edited by slk55er; 03-25-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:49 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
It is always good to be loved. But I have sat in, owned and driven a GTS, a SLK55, a SL500 and an SL550 and it is disappointing to see the deterioration of the SL into this new, compromised and "improved" model. I'm sure this will be an enjoyable car to drive (if one is not distracted by the Tesla display) but it should be called something else. As I've suggested before, there are other letters in the alphabet.

Yet it seems OK that some enthusiasts who have never owned at least one SL -- one SL with the convenience of a retractable or replaceable hardtop, an SL with a cockpit that embraces the occupants without the large cavity containing a useless rear seat, an SL which has rear-wheel drive and can spin the rear wheels and be driven like a traditional sports car without the crutch of AWD, an SL in which it is the dash in front of the driver actually displays information -- it seems OK that these enthusiasts who have never owned at least one SL promote this latest vehicle as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Really? But I'm sure there is also unquestioning love for these bloggers as well.

I expect this vehicle to be a pleasure to drive much of the time. But just because it's possible to add tiny rear seats, add rarely-needed AWD, save money and weight with a vulnerable rag top and imitate a Tesla display, doesn't mean these should be incorporated. It just is a shame to corrupt the SL lineage with this compromise vehicle.
Well said. They have corrupted the model SL by calling this a SL... probably done as a marketing ruse to lure potential SL buyers. This car is no more a roadster than my Expedition is a roadster. And they can call it an SL roadster all day .... but it is not one. The true SL was identifiable as MB SL from a distance... you KNEW you were looking at the SL... this new four seater looks like a cookie cutter of other cars. I expected more.

The ragtop saved maybe a little weight... but their effort was to save money I expect. I bet they saved $15,000 when you look at the parts, pieces, paint, hydraulics, complexity, etc. Anybody can make a ragtop. Volkswagen even makes them. Nothing special there.

Oh... and don't forget that dandy windscreen that you have to manually fold up and I guess put in the trunk....bwahahaha.... I like the 231 design better.

Last edited by Panama; 03-25-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
We get it, this thread has been out for five months and the same R231 posters make the same complaints every few pages every month with nothing new to say. Too little too late, the new SL is here and is a completely different direction, if you don't like it, oh well.
The following 3 users liked this post by js_cls:
California John (03-27-2022), CincyMBGuy (03-26-2022), HAWKiS63 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by js_cls
We get it, this thread has been out for five months and the same R231 posters make the same complaints every few pages every month with nothing new to say. Too little too late, the new SL is here and is a completely different direction, if you don't like it, oh well.
Yes, I thought the dust had settled, but blame it on Wolfman, our Super Moderator to rekindle the flame. It was his post of 2/28 (#161) that opened up this can of worms and that I thought was cast in my direction in which he stated, "Always love people discussing cars that they haven't seen, sat in or driven ."

Well, the cars pictured below are ones that I have owned and HAVE actually
driven! It is these upon which I base may disturbing opinion that this latest concoction corrupts the SL lineage. Yes, long live the R231 and the good old days when men were men and SLs were SLs.

Last edited by slk55er; 03-26-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I thought the dust had settled, but blame it on Wolfman, our Super Moderator to rekindle the flame. It was his post of 2/28 (#161) that opened up this can of worms and that I thought was cast in my direction in which he stated, "Always love people discussing cars that they haven't seen, sat in or driven ."

Well, the cars pictured below are ones that I have owned and HAVE actually
driven! It is these upon which I base may disturbing opinion that this latest concoction corrupts the SL lineage. Yes, long live the R231 and the good old days when men were men and SLs were SLs.
You mean my response to your comment a month ago?

My point then was that you were complaining about the R232 which you have zero experience with, not what you have driven before.

As for your other bold statements, Mercedes calls it an AMG SL so you can feel better

js_cls (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:30 AM

You mean my response to your comment a month ago?
Yes. I had not visited this thread for a a month or so -- I thought this was a dead thread. But then, I just this past week saw your comment. Please let me know the next time you reply to any of my comments. Thanks much.

Yes, I understand that I've been complaining about the new concoction that is presented as an "SL" of sorts and that I have no experience with it. So apparently that means that I cannot comment about it in relation to prior SLs. And the addition of "AMG" supposed to make it right? Really? Hmm. OK. I'll check back in another month.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. I had not visited this thread for a a month or so -- I thought this was a dead thread. But then, I just this past week saw your comment. Please let me know the next time you reply to any of my comments. Thanks much.

Yes, I understand that I've been complaining about the new concoction that is presented as an "SL" of sorts and that I have no experience with it. So apparently that means that I cannot comment about it in relation to prior SLs. And the addition of "AMG" supposed to make it right? Really? Hmm. OK. I'll check back in another month.
It’s perfectly fine not to like car or it’s design features. The new SL has several that I don’t care for myself but I’ll make up my mind when we will experience the car in the flesh.

But saying this is not a SL because of a soft top or rear seats (both were present in prior SL models) just seems illogical.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: Mercedes-AMG Unveils the New 7th Generation SL Roadster