SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Should I expect to pay a premium when my SL finally gets here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:15 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Should I expect to pay a premium when my SL finally gets here?

Today I went to my dealer to take a look at the n ew EQS AMG - actually quite liked it although it is a bit more snug that I had expected.

Anyhow, I was surprised to see a $ 50 k premium sticker on the car, which got me thinking.

I had placed an order with specifications in November, the car was built early April and hopefully will get here in the next 45 days. I have been dealing with this dealer for the last 20 years and the subject of a dealer mark up on this car has not come up.

I am not a fan of dealer mark ups from reputable dealers of reputable marques and I actually have an inquiry into MB corporate regarding their official posture on this.

However, I suppose an argument can be made that this is a "suggested" retail price and the dealer is under no obligation to sell his inventory at the MSRP.

I do believe though that when you place an order for an automobile built to your specification, that this alters the equation.

​​​​​​​Clearly it does not help that prices have not been announced and that you cant even go on the USA configuratior.

Do you think I should I start worrying?

Old 06-01-2022, 06:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
The car probably won’t be here in the next 45 days. They have not been released yet or gone they homologation. Mine has been sitting at the port in Germany for a while now. I am hoping august at the earliest at this point. In regards to paying a premium you need to ask you dealer and get it in writing. At my dealer there are 3 of us that are getting at MSRP and the next group is being charged an ADM of 25-50k. I have my agreement in writing. While not good business, technically there is nothing to prevent the dealer with hitting you with an ADM if you don’t have the terms in writing (it would be crappy business but in this environment the dealers have the leverage).
Old 06-01-2022, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 590 Likes on 402 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by mkraft3003
The car probably won’t be here in the next 45 days. They have not been released yet or gone they homologation. Mine has been sitting at the port in Germany for a while now. I am hoping august at the earliest at this point. In regards to paying a premium you need to ask you dealer and get it in writing. At my dealer there are 3 of us that are getting at MSRP and the next group is being charged an ADM of 25-50k. I have my agreement in writing. While not good business, technically there is nothing to prevent the dealer with hitting you with an ADM if you don’t have the terms in writing (it would be crappy business but in this environment the dealers have the leverage).
Unless you have a legal document which states conditions and liabilities, you are at the mercy of the dealership at the time of delivery. The only enforceable contract is one that formally states the contracted price with all of the legal conditions for your state and for which both the buyer and seller have signed.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HBerman
Unless you have a legal document which states conditions and liabilities, you are at the mercy of the dealership at the time of delivery. The only enforceable contract is one that formally states the contracted price with all of the legal conditions for your state and for which both the buyer and seller have signed.
actually that’s not accurate, At least in Florida where I am an attorney. May be different In other states but a letter from the dealership that they will sell at msrp is legally sufficient. Ferrari, Mclaren and others simply provide a letter that the car will be sold at MSRP at delivery. There are various legal theories including, but not limited to oral contracts, promissory estoppel and detrimental reliance. Again, I am only referring to Florida law. The only relevant condition is the car being sold at msrp in exchange for consideration which is the deposit.
The following users liked this post:
Omega803 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 590 Likes on 402 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by mkraft3003
actually that’s not accurate, At least in Florida where I am an attorney. May be different In other states but a letter from the dealership that they will sell at msrp is legally sufficient. Ferrari, Mclaren and others simply provide a letter that the car will be sold at MSRP at delivery. There are various legal theories including, but not limited to oral contracts, promissory estoppel and detrimental reliance. Again, I am only referring to Florida law. The only relevant condition is the car being sold at msrp in exchange for consideration which is the deposit.
Thanks for the clarification. My point, however, is that if the dealer renegs on the the TBD MSRP sale price, their liability is to return your deposit. Of course, you could decide to seek legal remedies since you are an attorney, but I suspect that the process would become a drawn out affair. I also find it interesting that there are no prices in the US yet, so the sales price is basically a guess at this juncture. Hopefully, all will work out.
mkraft3003 (06-02-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 06:44 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Bizar.........see also my other post on "get in line" thread.
When a brand is acting arrogant towards her customers, I would walk away from it and never return.
Maybe it is a cultural thing, because over here (in EU), it is not common to pay any premium on a new car (even not when it is very expensive), and when it is in stock, it is either the other way.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 169 Posts
Buyers are responsible for the premiums, not the manufacturers or the dealers.
HAWKiS63 (06-10-2022)