SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: SL63 test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 04:20 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Cool SL63 test drive

After a short drive this spring, I was now able to test drive the SL63 for a much longer time, on curvy roads, highway, etc. and head to head with an AMG GTs, GT 63s and my current S63 convertible.

As written before the new SL63 is far away from the previous SLs, and much more an improved AMG GT (Roadster). Similar seating position/height, steering, engine response, etc. It is more comfortable though, better suspension, more tech on board, so imho much better for daily usage then the AMG GT (Roadster). Great exhaust sound and gearbox, (MCT-9). It handles very good, and does not feel so heavy as it really is. Probably only real track drivers will feel the difference, but for every day usage, the SL63 is the better choice (over an AMG GT Roadster) imho. On the highway it is also a great car (you go 265 kmh in a flash), more relaxed than an AMG GT (Roadster) but less (more nervous) than the previous SL, let alone my current car...........

Stepping into my current car made something else clear right away: the build quality and materials of the SL63 are ok, but not acceptable at this price point. It is on par with a full option Z4 or a Boxster, but certainly not for a € 260K car (same price as my current car). Real pity the S coupe/cabrio will not be built again, since it gives the perfect mix of performance and comfort imho.
The following 7 users liked this post by HAWKiS63:
Bahnstormer (08-21-2022), California John (08-15-2022), chassis (08-16-2022), crconsulting (08-15-2022), mmmamg (08-15-2022), places (08-15-2022), Wolfman (08-15-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2022, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Interesting review, thanks. So more AMG GT than SL?

I agree that new MB models lack the quality materials of previous high line models. Some fanboys might chime in and say the new models are better finished buy I don't buy it.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:35 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by places
Interesting review, thanks. So more AMG GT than SL?
I agree that new MB models lack the quality materials of previous high line models. Some fanboys might chime in and say the new models are better finished buy I don't buy it.
Definitely more AMG GT DNA than any previous SL. Not so strange, since AMG designed the car. Since it has much more torque available (because of the MCT-9 transmission) it hides the extra weight. The AMG Active Suspension is also very good (compared to an AMG GT), but not as great as the air suspension in the S.
places (08-17-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Great feedback. Thanks!
I assume you had a chance to drive it top down? Did you have the windscreen installed? The old SL was excellent with wind buffeting and driving top down at speed. So is our GTC roadster but the S560 S-Class cab we drove in Germany less so. Even with the Air Cap/wind screen, there was just too much wind in the cabin. This is our primary concern with the rear seats and the clumsy windscreen.
Also agree on the interior materials. Does not feel it belongs to that price range...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
California John (08-15-2022), HAWKiS63 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
What’s the issue with the interior materials? I haven’t been able to take an in-depth look at the SL yet, but the one I saw the other day looked to have Napa Leather trimmed up and down the door panels and center console. I do wish they would stitch the steering wheel hub, its strange that they do it only for the S-Class and GLE/GLS63, but not SL or even G-Wagon. Other than that the interior looked very nice. Waiting for my dealer to receive their Starling Blue/Macchiato unit to check out the car.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
After a short drive this spring, I was now able to test drive the SL63 for a much longer time, on curvy roads, highway, etc. and head to head with an AMG GTs, GT 63s and my current S63 convertible.

As written before the new SL63 is far away from the previous SLs, and much more an improved AMG GT (Roadster). Similar seating position/height, steering, engine response, etc. It is more comfortable though, better suspension, more tech on board, so imho much better for daily usage then the AMG GT (Roadster). Great exhaust sound and gearbox, (MCT-9). It handles very good, and does not feel so heavy as it really is. Probably only real track drivers will feel the difference, but for every day usage, the SL63 is the better choice (over an AMG GT Roadster) imho. On the highway it is also a great car (you go 265 kmh in a flash), more relaxed than an AMG GT (Roadster) but less (more nervous) than the previous SL, let alone my current car...........

Stepping into my current car made something else clear right away: the build quality and materials of the SL63 are ok, but not acceptable at this price point. It is on par with a full option Z4 or a Boxster, but certainly not for a € 260K car (same price as my current car). Real pity the S coupe/cabrio will not be built again, since it gives the perfect mix of performance and comfort imho.
I luved my SCoupes, nothing like them especially at that price point, I was told it cost MB more to make them than what the sold them for, don’t know if that’s true but considering all that went into these cars it's probable.

Quite disconcerting to hear your comp about the new SL63’s build quality and associated materials to a BMW Z4, but are you comparing it to your S’s and the exclusive interior, which I had in both of mine and makes a huge difference, and is due to be out soon for the SL's from what I hear.

Last edited by RJC; 08-16-2022 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by js_cls
What’s the issue with the interior materials? I haven’t been able to take an in-depth look at the SL yet, but the one I saw the other day looked to have Napa Leather trimmed up and down the door panels and center console. I do wish they would stitch the steering wheel hub, its strange that they do it only for the S-Class and GLE/GLS63, but not SL or even G-Wagon. Other than that the interior looked very nice. Waiting for my dealer to receive their Starling Blue/Macchiato unit to check out the car.
SL’s always had Nappa leather airbag covers, even SL450’s. It's AMG who is putting on these cheap rubber covers on most of their cars (with just a few exceptions as you stated) regardless of price.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-16-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Great feedback. Thanks!
I assume you had a chance to drive it top down? Did you have the windscreen installed? The old SL was excellent with wind buffeting and driving top down at speed. So is our GTC roadster but the S560 S-Class cab we drove in Germany less so. Even with the Air Cap/wind screen, there was just too much wind in the cabin. This is our primary concern with the rear seats and the clumsy windscreen.
Also agree on the interior materials. Does not feel it belongs to that price range...
Indeed drove mostly with the top down and there was a windscreen installed. No problem with wind buffeting at high speeds.
In my previous S cabrio (pre facelift) the lack of good windscreen was noticeable (the electric screen and air cap just help a little bit, but are more for show). My current (facelift) S cabrio however, has the additional windscreen behind the front seats, and that works very good (same as in the SL).

Originally Posted by js_cls
Originally Posted by RJC
I luved my SCoupes, nothing like them especially at that price point, I was told it cost MB more to make them than what the sold them for, don’t know if that’s true but considering all that went into these cars it's probable.

Quite disconcerting to hear your comp about the new SL63’s build quality and associated materials to a BMW Z4, but are you comparing it to your S’s and the exclusive interior, which I had in both of mine and makes a huge difference, and is due to be out soon for the SL's from what I hear.
The leather in the new SL is good (especially the nappa trims), but I was more referring to the platic cheap looking buttons, for example for seat adjustment (one big plastic button, not a separate nice button for every seat component anymore), but also the steering wheel buttons are very plastic and don't feel premium as in my current car, also the dashboard material is so so. Beware, it is not bad, if you come from an AMG GT, it is certainly a good upgrade, but if you come from an S coupe/cabrio (that has similar pricing) you feel it as a serious downgrade. The latest Z4 is very good build (much better than the older models) and are on a similar level as the SL. Not bad..........but not for a Euro 260K car.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Indeed drove mostly with the top down and there was a windscreen installed. No problem with wind buffeting at high speeds.
In my previous S cabrio (pre facelift) the lack of good windscreen was noticeable (the electric screen and air cap just help a little bit, but are more for show). My current (facelift) S cabrio however, has the additional windscreen behind the front seats, and that works very good (same as in the SL).
If I understand correctly, the R232 SL drives like the C217 facelift cab top down?
If so, that would be a bit disappointing for me as the old R231 SL and GT is better top down than the cab, including the facelift model. There is a fair amount of wind coming into the cabriolet even with the air cap and windscreen. Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 08-16-2022, 02:52 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Wolfman
If I understand correctly, the R232 SL drives like the C217 facelift cab top down?
If so, that would be a bit disappointing for me as the old R231 SL and GT is better top down than the cab, including the facelift model. There is a fair amount of wind coming into the cabriolet even with the air cap and windscreen. Thanks again for your feedback!
Beware, I mean the facelift model with the optional black wind deflector behind the front seats (so not the standard electric wind deflector and aircap, theyr are not of much use). That Euro 700 option works like a charm. Upto speeds of about 150 kmh, similar wind like in the new SL, only at much higher speeds (> 200 kmh) the smaller car (SL) has less wind than the large S cabriolet.
Wolfman (08-17-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Don’t mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to add to it.
I didn’t drive one but I’ll add my .02. My family and I stopped and looked at a SL63 in all black with I think the performance trim. It had the carbon fiber interior also. It was sitting on the show room floor and we got to go all over it with the top up and down but never actually started the vehicle either. My wife and I both had similar impressions after our visit. (The car is for sale and not someone’s order)
The exterior is nice but at the $200k price point it just doesn’t have any pizzazz. It might just be the all black but we didn’t walk in and our mouths drop open. The spoiler as up on the rear and it looks a little high and out of place too. And come on MB can’t you make the area under the spoiler when it’s up look a little better than cheap plastic. Again, the exterior is cool, but we just didn’t see $200k.
Now the interior. Where do I start. Yes the trunk is small but it did appear deep. The back seat that we really wanted/needed was almost straight up. My daughter looked uncomfortable and she said it was one of the worst back seats we had tried out. I know very few of other members care about this, but we do. I also did not see cup holders back there unless I missed them. Just a thought. The front also felt very tight and small with very little space for your Starbucks coffees either. Although they did feel comfortable for the time we sat in them. I imagine it would not be bad up there for a long drive. Now the worst part, the over all lack of nappa or some type of seat design is just horrible. The plain black seats just looked like some type of cheap leatherette. It needs something here bad. As for some good, the graphics of the initial screen (no start up) was very crisp and nice although we saw very little here. I thought I would not like the fabric top but it actually looked good and was faster than I thought.
So needless to say, I’m calling this week and getting off the list for now. Although we were only looking at the SL55 and would probably be in at about $160k, we just didn’t see it at that price either. Again just my thoughts on a $145-200k car and I might have to do with the car having too much black with no accents. So we will keep looking.
Good luck.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I didn’t drive one but I’ll add my .02. My family and I stopped and looked at a SL63 in all black with I think the performance trim. It had the carbon fiber interior also. It was sitting on the show room floor and we got to go all over it with the top up and down but never actually started the vehicle either. My wife and I both had similar impressions after our visit. (The car is for sale and not someone’s order)
The exterior is nice but at the $200k price point it just doesn’t have any pizzazz. It might just be the all black but we didn’t walk in and our mouths drop open. The spoiler as up on the rear and it looks a little high and out of place too. And come on MB can’t you make the area under the spoiler when it’s up look a little better than cheap plastic. Again, the exterior is cool, but we just didn’t see $200k.
Now the interior. Where do I start. Yes the trunk is small but it did appear deep. The back seat that we really wanted/needed was almost straight up. My daughter looked uncomfortable and she said it was one of the worst back seats we had tried out. I know very few of other members care about this, but we do. I also did not see cup holders back there unless I missed them. Just a thought. The front also felt very tight and small with very little space for your Starbucks coffees either. Although they did feel comfortable for the time we sat in them. I imagine it would not be bad up there for a long drive. Now the worst part, the over all lack of nappa or some type of seat design is just horrible. The plain black seats just looked like some type of cheap leatherette. It needs something here bad. As for some good, the graphics of the initial screen (no start up) was very crisp and nice although we saw very little here. I thought I would not like the fabric top but it actually looked good and was faster than I thought.
So needless to say, I’m calling this week and getting off the list for now. Although we were only looking at the SL55 and would probably be in at about $160k, we just didn’t see it at that price either. Again just my thoughts on a $145-200k car and I might have to do with the car having too much black with no accents. So we will keep looking.
Good luck.
The Exclusive Quilted Leather is being produced on a small number of SL's due to shortages, even S-Class' couldn't get it for a short time period. I would wait for that to be available.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:36 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s
Good luck.
I like your objective assessment. What other cars are you considering? I personally don’t see any thing else appealing; the new SL is very attractive exterior/interior, lots of high tech, fast, nice exhaust and fits all my need. Maybe an M8 may meet your needs. Maybe you may have a change of heart seeing another SL in other colors although the size of the back seat won’t be any different. High end used cars are ridiculously over priced now!
Old 08-21-2022, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by BLAM;[url=tel:8620359
8620359[/url]]I like your objective assessment. What other cars are you considering? I personally don’t see any thing else appealing; the new SL is very attractive exterior/interior, lots of high tech, fast, nice exhaust and fits all my need. Maybe an M8 may meet your needs. Maybe you may have a change of heart seeing another SL in other colors although the size of the back seat won’t be any different. High end used cars are ridiculously over priced now!
It’s going to be my wife’s car and she wants a convertible. So since we need a back seat our picks are limited. Maybe an E53 but good luck finding one with MBUX (2021+).
Old 08-22-2022, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
It’s going to be my wife’s car and she wants a convertible. So since we need a back seat our picks are limited. Maybe an E53 but good luck finding one with MBUX (2021+).
The E-Cab is the way to go for a backseat, I believe its been mentioned that the E-Cab/Coupe surprisingly had a bit more rear legroom than the S-Cab/Coupe. The SL rear seats are simply 2+2 jump seats for quick pinch situations, as well as pets/luggage.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
E-Cab with the right colors is a real looker. I'd look hard at those and also maybe a BMW M850/M8, great values when comparing to the SL.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:58 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
E-Cab with the right colors is a real looker. I'd look hard at those and also maybe a BMW M850/M8, great values when comparing to the SL.
I agree...we came very close to buying one about 2 months ago. It was beautiful. My wife is going to be crying the day we get rid of the SL.. She just could not make the final leap - so we left. I would have signed for it. It is beautiful and a decent value.

As far as the BMW... I have never owned one for a day to day assessment. I have some friends with them and I have ridden in several and driven several. We have shopped them. I have never liked the firmness of their ride. It gets very old after a few hours.

The E-Cab looks great and rides and handles great and has a medium to good back seat. The price is also not bad at all. I bet this coming year is the last year for it though.

Last edited by Panama; 08-22-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

While I don't care much for the BMW 8 series convertible in terms of looks, it would be a very good choice if the back seat is needed. Like the E cab, the back seats are a bit cramped but not unusable like the SL's. We have the M8 coupe and it is definitely a soft riding car compared to prior AMG's. Endless power, lots of color and interior choices, worth a test drive...

Old 08-22-2022, 04:29 PM

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
2013 SL550

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post a picture of my E-cab. Dark gray, gray leather. Only downside is I was hit up for every parade in town. This shot is me driving my daughter who was homecoming queen that year. 2018 I believe. Thanks for allowing me to indulge...
The following 2 users liked this post by jrupp:
BLAM (08-23-2022), js_cls (08-22-2022)