SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Are you happy with the Burmester sound system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Dude - I gave you the link and source directly from Apple. Spatial audio is 2 channel.
You are confusing several things. The mastering has nothing to do with it. Yes, the original content is recorded in many channels. Then it's mixed down to 2 channel for the content you will listen to in the car.
Furthermore, the in car audio does not even have the ability to decode and play back multi-channel audio tracks.

Your links prove my point, not yours. They talk about how mastering engineers mix for Dolby Atmos. Yeah, you can get an Atmos receiver at home, playback your high-res Atmos soundtrack (like a movie, for example), and you will hear true multi-channel Atmos. This is not what is happening when you stream in your car!
This is getting to be a waste of time. You are a dense, stubborn individual who doesn't know what he doesn't know... and are unwilling to learn. +1 to ignore list. That's a short tenure you have on this site to have already had someone ignore you.

Last edited by Surge; 05-12-2024 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SL 63
Originally Posted by Surge
Dude - I gave you the link and source directly from Apple. Spatial audio is 2 channel.
You are confusing several things. The mastering has nothing to do with it. Yes, the original content is recorded in many channels. Then it's mixed down to 2 channel for the content you will listen to in the car.
Furthermore, the in car audio does not even have the ability to decode multi-channel audio tracks, nor the ability to play them back.

This is getting to be a waste of time.
https://professional.dolby.com/produ...renderer/#gref
https://www.audioanimals.co.uk/news/...bles-explained

The source is multi-channel. The master is multi-channel. The streaming service is multi-channel(!). The decoder in-car is multi-channel. The amp is multi-channel. The speakers (obviously) are multi-channel.

This is such a simple concept. I'm not going to respond again unless new information comes to light. But you are so clearly and painfully wrong I am going to assume you are trolling or there's some extreme cognitive bias or ego involved in not being able to process new and correct information (or,... and I don't mean to be mean because we can't control how many synapses our parents handed down to us... this is simply above your head).
Old 05-12-2024, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG SL 63
Originally Posted by Pharaon
https://professional.dolby.com/produ...renderer/#gref
https://www.audioanimals.co.uk/news/...bles-explained

The source is multi-channel. The master is multi-channel. The streaming service is multi-channel(!). The decoder in-car is multi-channel. The amp is multi-channel. The speakers (obviously) are multi-channel.

This is such a simple concept. I'm not going to respond again unless new information comes to light. But you are so clearly and painfully wrong I am going to assume you are trolling or there's some extreme cognitive bias or ego involved in not being able to process new and correct information (or,... and I don't mean to be mean because we can't control how many synapses our parents handed down to us... this is simply above your head).
Per the above, sharing "new" information in the spirit of helping other purchasers make informed decisions. Here is the direct claim from MB that the system "Supports multichannel formats for true surround sound" (emphasis added on true; e.g., this isn't DSP trickery from a stereo signal). Straight from MB's SL Order Guide. Cheers all.

The following users liked this post:
imfletcher (06-27-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:40 AM

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
SL63 AMG (R232)
I drove now over 4500 km in my new SL63 and I have quite the experience with the Burmester 3D High End system now.

First thing first: Adjust the Burmester to your listening preferences with the setup and then DO NOT TOUCH the settings anymore. Once you start fine tune stuff, you ARE going to mess it up. If this happens, just do a NEW setup/adjustment.

Depending on your source of music, the sound can vary. It can sometimes be frustrating if some songs sound great and others don't but try to avoid adjusting the setup. Unfortunately the Burmester doesn't seem to offer the possibility to adjust the setup for each and every sound source. One settting for ALL sound sources it seems.

Dolby Atmos works great BUT not always is the sound satifactory. In my opinion, this has something to do with the recording, not the sound system since SOME songs sound amazing (and you can clearly hear the difference) and others don't.

Avoid using too much bass in your setup, even if some songs may not have the bass level you always want them to have. You will thank me later.

Overall, I think this is a very good sound system for a convertible.
The following 4 users liked this post by RTC63:
California John (05-13-2024), drgek (05-13-2024), Pharaon (05-13-2024), RJC (05-13-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 X5 50i, '21 Defender 110
thank you for your work here Pharaon. its weird to ascribe some kind of wizardry to object based sound encoded in a multichannel format vs…. a multichannel format limited to 2 channels. like 2 channels is some kind of magic barrier that cannot be surpassed.
this argument needs to get to the real heart of the matter tho - are the speaker wires pure oxygen-free copper encased in a dielectric insulation? are the microscopic cracks in said wire filled with pure gold? surely if you aren’t spending 20k/meter on the wire the rest is meaningless
Old 06-27-2024, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by imfletcher
thank you for your work here Pharaon. its weird to ascribe some kind of wizardry to object based sound encoded in a multichannel format vs…. a multichannel format limited to 2 channels. like 2 channels is some kind of magic barrier that cannot be surpassed.
this argument needs to get to the real heart of the matter tho - are the speaker wires pure oxygen-free copper encased in a dielectric insulation? are the microscopic cracks in said wire filled with pure gold? surely if you aren’t spending 20k/meter on the wire the rest is meaningless
You are 0 for 6 posts that make any sense, my friend. Do yourself a favor and stop posting if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
“a multichannel format limited to 2 channels” … it’s not a multichannel format - by definition - if it’s only 2 channels.

I have the fake ATMOS system in my new EQS - it’s fake surround, as I said, having now listened to it first hand. No different than any of the myriad fake (‘make 2 channel sound like it was true multi-channel’) sound tweaks that have existed for years. It sounds good, yeah, but I am not for a minute thinking it’s real ATMOS.

You would die if you heard a great ATMOS setup on a Trinnov with world class amplification that (unfortunately) costs more than even the over-priced SL!

Speaking of which, you don’t even own an MB, let alone an SL! WTF? Don’t you have enough to complain about re your X5 or Defender, or is the former in shop and the latter stolen?

Last edited by Surge; 06-27-2024 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:07 AM

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
SL63 AMG (R232)
Originally Posted by Surge
You are 0 for 6 posts that make any sense, my friend. Do yourself a favor and stop posting if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
“a multichannel format limited to 2 channels” … it’s not a multichannel format - by definition - if it’s only 2 channels.

I have the fake ATMOS system in my new EQS - it’s fake surround, as I said, having now listened to it first hand. No different than any of the myriad fake (‘make 2 channel sound like it was true multi-channel’) sound tweaks that have existed for years. It sounds good, yeah, but I am not for a minute thinking it’s real ATMOS.

You would die if you heard a great ATMOS setup on a Trinnov with world class amplification that (unfortunately) costs more than even the over-priced SL!

Speaking of which, you don’t even own an MB, let alone an SL! WTF? Don’t you have enough to complain about re your X5 or Defender, or is the former in shop and the latter stolen?
So what you're saying is that Dolby allows Mercedes to use a FAKE Dolby Atmos system in their cars? Makes sense.