Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
John

Press lock function on key twice quickly and it will deactivate radio on key. This will extend battery and prevent any communications with key until key is pressed again.
Perhaps mostly - but not in this case: double click rapidly. Did it. 30 minutes later came in the vicinity of the car with keys and door handles popped out and light illumined the floor. Car did not entirely unlock (side mirrors did not unfold)...but the handles did pop out indicating that there was communication - and a simple pull on a handle will open the door. Seems there is some communication going on. After the door handles popped open I double clicked again and then left. An hour later I came back to the garage with the keys and nothing. No response. Not sure now. Sometimes yes? Sometimes no? It does seem that AMG 17GT is on to something.

Last edited by California John; 12-20-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:39 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
I have sent a note to the product manager for the SL - this needs a proper MB review and fix.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tifoso48:
Ben M Johnson (12-23-2022), California John (12-20-2022), JohnGigi (12-22-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 09:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 AMG SL55 Dynamic, 2005 Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Oh, interesting. Where under the hood is that LiPo battery please? Under the hood I see the flimsy little cover on the right-hand side of the car just in front of the windshield. Under that cover is the filler for the windshield washer, and a sliding cover for the positive charge/jump terminal. Below that terminal is a black plastic box about the size of a motorcycle battery, but I don't see a battery there. Is it somewhere else under the hood? Do you have a photo please? I'm curious because I use an AGM battery maintainer on that terminal and the ground terminal nearby. If it's charging a LiPo battery, I would switch to a different maintainer.

My 992 GT3 has only a LiPo battery and I maintain that with a Lithium battery maintainer. My Taycan apparently has a physically small LiPo battery to supplement the main 93.4kWh battery, and messing with that small battery is a bad idea, based on the forums. I can't imagine why an SL63 would need a small LiPo battery to supplement the big ol' AGM battery under the trunk.

I've had the same experience as others with low/critical battery messages, e.g. when detailing the car. I keep it locked and on the AGM maintainer when not using it, with no messages since doing that.
It's that flimsy cover terminal you need to connect to and there is a negative post in front of it close by.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C220 CDI W204.008 2007
Parasitic draw issues with my C220 CDI W204 2007 150k km:

1 $600 Light switch is stuffed, must set to AUTO as with OFF it switches the RH park lights on intermittently - fixed!
2 Battery at rest should have 12.3V or so to start. While running it should charge at around 13.6 up to 14.4V. Get a $4 USB port plus volt meter for your cigarette lighter from Aliexpress to monitor to see if the alternator works or if it needs a $2,000 repair with a reconditioned one by a Merc stealership.
3 Checking the draw: Set your cheap multimeter to 10A, disconnect earth (minus) on battery with 10mm ring, black lead of meter to battery and red lead to lead to engine. Initially you will read up to five Amps, no panic, that is the startup draw only, relax and see it drop to about 50-100 milliAmps hopefully. Or use a clamp meter.
4 Suggestion was to remove all electric connectors (three each/front seat) and that seems to have fixed my parasitic draw so far. Am now using an older Varta battery, which was probably considered dead by mistake due to the draw. I suspect the draw issues with Mercs lead to many batteries incorrectly being labelled dead. My newer $400 Varta is at the dealer, but they will probably charge it, test it and only if it has substantially less than 850 CCAs (Cold Cranking Amps) give me a new one. Those Vartas have a 3.5 year warranty.
5 Another suggestion I read here is to disconnect the block heater (?) to cure a draw. I would not know where it is and if that is a wise thing to do.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:04 PM

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I discovered another minor issue. I took the earlier suggestion to double click the fob to disconnect the fob from the SL to limit current draw. I normally leave the two cars' remotes in the garage overnight so the detailer can start the wash/detail each week. Apparently, this was putting the car into a frequent current draw since the remote and car were only about 8 feet apart. This week I tried the double click approach and found some improvement while he was working on the car. I got only one text battery warning instead of the normal two texts plus an emergency email so that showed promise.

However, when I tried to remote start the SL since it's cold, the car ignored the successful request but did not give any feedback it had failed. Eventually I figured out it was going to ignore me and I was able to start the car normally from the driver's seat with no problem at all. I don't know why it would ignore a remote request and then start easily. Lots of software fixes needed. But, I still love the SL.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
Originally Posted by JohnGigi
I discovered another minor issue. I took the earlier suggestion to double click the fob to disconnect the fob from the SL to limit current draw. I normally leave the two cars' remotes in the garage overnight so the detailer can start the wash/detail each week. Apparently, this was putting the car into a frequent current draw since the remote and car were only about 8 feet apart. This week I tried the double click approach and found some improvement while he was working on the car. I got only one text battery warning instead of the normal two texts plus an emergency email so that showed promise.

However, when I tried to remote start the SL since it's cold, the car ignored the successful request but did not give any feedback it had failed. Eventually I figured out it was going to ignore me and I was able to start the car normally from the driver's seat with no problem at all. I don't know why it would ignore a remote request and then start easily. Lots of software fixes needed. But, I still love the SL.
I was able to remote start the car but it would not let me get in; the handles would come out but it wouldn't unlock. I was able to stop the engine remotely and left the car alone for a few hours and came back and was able to unlock and get in. Somewhere I think the Connect app just messes with the car. Just dont want to get stranded somewhere
Old 12-22-2022, 04:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
Originally Posted by vbrisebo
It's that flimsy cover terminal you need to connect to and there is a negative post in front of it close by.
Thank you. Those are the terminals I've been using. What I'm curious about is where the LiPo battery is and, if possible a photo and/or part number. When searching for parts on the MBUSA site, I found two batteries that did not pop up a message that they don't fit the the 2022 SL63. All the other batteries did pop up that message so, by process of elimination I believe that I found the two correct batteries for the car. One seemed to be a replacement for the big AGM battery under the trunk floor; the part number visible in some of the battery photos in this thread comes up as no longer available. The other battery looks much smaller and is marked as "conventional", i.e. not LiPo. This may all be incorrect because the parts web site, while it recognizes the 2022 SL63, doesn't seem to have car-specific diagrams. The battery section, for example, lists many, many batteries and related parts for various models.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Thank you. Those are the terminals I've been using. What I'm curious about is where the LiPo battery is and, if possible a photo and/or part number. When searching for parts on the MBUSA site, I found two batteries that did not pop up a message that they don't fit the the 2022 SL63. All the other batteries did pop up that message so, by process of elimination I believe that I found the two correct batteries for the car. One seemed to be a replacement for the big AGM battery under the trunk floor; the part number visible in some of the battery photos in this thread comes up as no longer available. The other battery looks much smaller and is marked as "conventional", i.e. not LiPo. This may all be incorrect because the parts web site, while it recognizes the 2022 SL63, doesn't seem to have car-specific diagrams. The battery section, for example, lists many, many batteries and related parts for various models.
I think the LiPo battery is a mirage. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong though🤗
Old 01-05-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
After the new amp did the issue go away? Facing similar gremlins myself.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
Originally Posted by youngshep
After the new amp did the issue go away? Facing similar gremlins myself.
So, as the saga continues, my car has been at the dealer now for 5 weeks. They say the battery issue is "solved" but they can't get the new amp programmed; Germany is very slow with their assistance. So, we shall see when I get my car back; I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by EZ2020
So, as the saga continues, my car has been at the dealer now for 5 weeks. They say the battery issue is "solved" but they can't get the new amp programmed; Germany is very slow with their assistance. So, we shall see when I get my car back; I'll keep you updated.
Strongly suggest that you get paid for the time the car is in the shop and if you don’t have faith that they can sort this out you have the option to lemon the car and perhaps try again with a 2023 model.

Again, at minimum I would request an amount similar to a monthly payment. Easy to ask for and get…
Old 02-08-2023, 01:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63,2021 GLS63s,2021 GLA45
See my new thread on Dead SL battery--I now have a small lithium battery starter inside the car in case it happens again--no use storing it in the trunk because if the battery is dead the trunk as well as the door handles wont work--Thankfully I now know where the mechanical key goes and how to access the lock.And how to stop battery drain on the Smart key but not sure if it deactivates the SL when locked searching for either the key or Mercedes me.--(I have no power in underground parking for a trickle charger.--Having to start an AMG evrey two days was a rediculous/impractical comment--Thankfully unlike most other AMG's the SL63 does not have a lithium car battery.
JP
Old 02-21-2023, 01:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG SL63 & GLE580 & SL500
Same Battery Drain Issues

I have had our SL63 for six weeks. Battery drain issues as well … the car has been to the dealer four times already for this issue and one time the dealer left the key in the car overnight and in the AM they could not get into the car ! Thus, I had to drive the 25 plus miles to the dealer with the other key !! I did speak with MBZ USA in Atlanta and the person that I spoke with said that the dealer should have been able to get into the car without my second key ?!?!? Anyway, I read on another forum that I found on Facebook with suggestions about double clicking the key, keeping the keys 20 feet away (?), and then keeping the keys in Mylar bags — my keys are kept up one floor over the garage, maybe 12 feet away from the car (?) — I do double click now and keep them in Mylar bags now and so far I’ve made it four days without a battery notification.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:37 AM

2022 AMG SL63
Key fob stuck in car

Update on my previous battery comments. When our detailer comes each week to clean the cars, I get numerous texts and emails on the critical battery issue each time so I asked him to keep the car running after he finished to charge it back up.

He left the fob on the console and either locked the doors or they locked automatically. When I went to shut it off after 10 minutes or so, the door handles wouldn't pop out. I went inside to get the extra remote and it wouldn't unlock it either. So, I'm standing there trying to figure out what to do with a locked and running car. Finally between the detailer and me trying something caused the handles to pop open. He's coming again tomorrow so we will try another approach this time to overcome the poor engineering design of the power supply and software interface.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG SL63 & GLE580 & SL500
Try Keeping Your Keys in Mylar Bags

Originally Posted by JohnGigi
Update on my previous battery comments. When our detailer comes each week to clean the cars, I get numerous texts and emails on the critical battery issue each time so I asked him to keep the car running after he finished to charge it back up.

He left the fob on the console and either locked the doors or they locked automatically. When I went to shut it off after 10 minutes or so, the door handles wouldn't pop out. I went inside to get the extra remote and it wouldn't unlock it either. So, I'm standing there trying to figure out what to do with a locked and running car. Finally between the detailer and me trying something caused the handles to pop open. He's coming again tomorrow so we will try another approach this time to overcome the poor engineering design of the power supply and software interface.
—————

A try — How about having your detailer keep the key away from the car in a Mylar bag ? I just got a small package of Mylar bags from Amazon.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:51 PM

2022 AMG SL63
Thanks for the input, but the mylar bags I got from Amazon did not block signals. However, I do think using the double-click lock approach does work well.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
I think it's nice that MB is giving the early buyers the chance to Beta test their $200K cars. Perhaps MB should have included potential/previous buyers the opportunity for design/feature input before finalizing the SL.
This could be a great case study in how not to market a car.

Last edited by Mike P; 02-24-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 AMG GT 53, 2021 GLS 580, 2022 AMG SL 55
Took delivery 3 weeks ago and have had same battery issue with many critical alerts, emails, etc. Took it to the dealer and they said I am not driving it far enough each day which is crazy. They replaced the battery and suggested I needed a trickle charger if it keeps happening. I have multiple Mercedes and have never seen this problem - hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Did the email to the AMG product manager get any response?
The following 2 users liked this post by Need Speed:
jrpisha (05-01-2023), mgardner23665 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Need Speed
Took delivery 3 weeks ago and have had same battery issue with many critical alerts, emails, etc. Took it to the dealer and they said I am not driving it far enough each day which is crazy. They replaced the battery and suggested I needed a trickle charger if it keeps happening. I have multiple Mercedes and have never seen this problem - hopefully it gets addressed soon.

The dealer is clueless. This is a widespread issue. He gave you the usual responses which would normally make sense....but don't here.
The following users liked this post:
mgardner23665 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 07:57 AM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Need Speed

I have contacted the Product Manager for the SL - Brian Cotter - at Brian.Cotter@MBUSA.com -- on a number of occasions and have yet to receive the courtesy of a response.

I am almost as irritated by the silent treatment as I am about the unacceptable ongoing frustrating issues with battery/energy management/software.
I am quite determined not to fade into the background but to escalate this issue one or two levels up from him. Luckily the MB email address system makes it quite simple to contact the right folks once you know the name, so my next attempt will be to contact Dimitris Psilliakis, CEO of MB USA.

I just took a quick look at how many new SL's are for sale on Autotrader, and a number of 450 popped up. Clearly some will be duplications but there is no doubt that a ton of unsold 2022 SL's are out there. I may be of base but that does not a indicate a great big sales success.

jrpisha (05-01-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
This is indeed an irritating problem. There seems to be an easy workaround, albeit one that may be annoying to some and impractical to those who park their cars away from electrical power. After a few critical battery messages in my first week of ownership. the workaround has worked for me: lock the car with a double push on the remote's lock button, and leave an AGM-capable battery maintainer connected. The side effect of this is that the Mercedes Me app thinks that the ignition is on and communications with the car are disabled.

Of course, this isn't acceptable in the long run, and one would hope that enough feedback from owners directly to MB or a dealer will result in a software update to fix this.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Absolutely absurd that you have to deal with these ridiculous issues on $160k+ car. Thank God I didn’t order one when I originally had planned or bought the black one that came to a local dealer back in October. I may end up getting one some day, but definitely not until all of this bullshi! is fixed.
Streamliner (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:23 PM

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by SteveL1
Absolutely absurd that you have to deal with these ridiculous issues on $160k+ car.
Absurd but far from uncommon. Battery issues are becoming legendary in 992 911s (at least the ones with lithium batteries and I speak from experience here), not to mention any modern Ferrari.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:02 PM

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by California John
Perhaps mostly - but not in this case: double click rapidly. Did it. 30 minutes later came in the vicinity of the car with keys and door handles popped out and light illumined the floor. Car did not entirely unlock (side mirrors did not unfold)...but the handles did pop out indicating that there was communication - and a simple pull on a handle will open the door. Seems there is some communication going on. After the door handles popped open I double clicked again and then left. An hour later I came back to the garage with the keys and nothing. No response. Not sure now. Sometimes yes? Sometimes no? It does seem that AMG 17GT is on to something.
This is the way mine is behaving, also. My keys are more than 20 feet from the car so even if the double click isn't doing what the owners' manual says it should be hopefully the distance will kill off communication.
At least Mercedes uses an easily replaceable AGM battery. The Porsche lithium batteries have the battery control module inside the battery so when it dies you're stuck with having to buy an OEM Porsche unit with an MSRP of around $3,000 US. IF you can get one. Mine needed to be replaced under warranty; nothing wrong with the battery but the control module kept throwing an error code which did not accurately reflect the state of charge.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:15 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
2011 e350 wagon
Had same problem. Double click close and keep keys 40 ft from car solved it. And even when there were messages earlier never any issue or hesitation when starting

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: Ongoing Battery Issues