SL/R232: Orange Peel Alert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 01:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Even though the SL’s are not the most expensive in the MB line, they are, in a way, “halo” cars. They draw attention and are ogled by those who aspire to own one. They are proud banners for the the 3-Pointed Star. They tend not to be daily transportation, but prized toys—for lack of a better word—always polished & cared for, usually to a much higher degree than one’s daily driver vehicle. MB should know this and should take extra care in the finishing of these cars. Once completed, should an issue like orange peel be found, it should be corrected at the factory before seeing the light of day. Obviously, zero imperfections should be the goal for a company with a heritage like MB, but while we might excuse something like orange peel on a CLA, an SL should be virtually flawless.

As someone who has owned 60 brand new cars, 17 of which have been MB, I have been getting the feeling that the old guard in Stuttgart are gone and the younger folks taking their place just don’t seen to care as much about the legacy they have been entrusted with. I also believe that the dealers are overwhelmed and are sweeping issues under the rug.
I insist my new vehicles are not touched other than pdi (I rarely buy off the lot/showroom). I ask all the interior plastic be left on and only the exterior plastic be removed to perform the necessary transportation related inspection. I either custom order, find one to what I want, or one that’s changeable before it makes it into production. I do not want the dealerships get ready monkeys ruining a new finish with swirls, or scratches from a dirty rag. I am a discerning buyer and if the luxury dealership can’t handle that I’ll go elsewhere. In today’s environment too many sellers of high-end goods only talk the talk and have become a bunch of spoiled crybabies when there’s a problem created by them, or the maker of what they’re selling. These days proper customer service is becoming a thing of the past and that’s disconcerting.

Last edited by RJC; 03-12-2023 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 02:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
To be fair to my dealer, they noted the microscratches at delivery and they suggested a paint correction firm. That firm was one I'd worked with before with great results.

I know that dealer quality varies, but I've been fortunate to buy from Hendrick Porsche, Mercedes, and Subaru dealerships in Durham NC, where quality and services standards are consistently very high. It all comes down to corporate culture, as is always the case regardless of industry. As an example, the CPO on a GT3RS I bought in 2019 was **** retentive beyond belief, down to replacing a front spoiler with a minuscule scratch. underrneath.My local Ford dealership is also fanatical about service quality.
Kudos to your Ford dealership.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
To be fair to my dealer, they noted the microscratches at delivery and they suggested a paint correction firm. That firm was one I'd worked with before with great results.

I know that dealer quality varies, but I've been fortunate to buy from Hendrick Porsche, Mercedes, and Subaru dealerships in Durham NC, where quality and services standards are consistently very high. It all comes down to corporate culture, as is always the case regardless of industry. As an example, the CPO on a GT3RS I bought in 2019 was **** retentive beyond belief, down to replacing a front spoiler with a minuscule scratch. underrneath.My local Ford dealership is also fanatical about service quality.
I bought my Porsche's from Chapel Hill, (what is now the Durham store) and they were GREAT! Way better than the Cary dealer I got all my MB's from. If you're referring to the Ford dealer in town then they did leave something to be desired.....then again I only have a F150 not a Raptor