SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Considering a color change wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 10:11 AM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Considering a color change wrap

So, I own a MY2022 Selenite Grey SL63 with all the goodies - incl. Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Hi - end audio etc, etc.
I really like this car but with perfect hindsight I wish I had opted for a more colorful approach. Repainint is obviously not an option and selling this one and buying a new one also sounds pretty crazy.

So, I have been looking at wraps and I truly did not know how much of a world of wraps is out there and getting an objective opinion is also quite challenging.
The color choices and various finishes really give you a headache too. I really am quite drawn to the Aston Martin Racing Green and the Green/Teal on the MB/AMG/Petronas Formula one car, but most of the wraps in that direction really end up being "screaming" colors.

So I found this attached photo of a wrap on a MB roadster which gets pretty close and I would like to get your opinions please.

Old 05-29-2023, 01:06 PM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
FWIW I think that's a great color.

My SL55 is white (was the only one I could find at the time) and I have considered doing a wrap. I will be curious to know what you decide to do.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Green should look excellent on the SL. I think you should go for it!
Old 05-30-2023, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,816 Likes on 2,398 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
So, I own a MY2022 Selenite Grey SL63 with all the goodies - incl. Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Hi - end audio etc, etc.
I really like this car but with perfect hindsight I wish I had opted for a more colorful approach. Repainint is obviously not an option and selling this one and buying a new one also sounds pretty crazy.

So, I have been looking at wraps and I truly did not know how much of a world of wraps is out there and getting an objective opinion is also quite challenging.
The color choices and various finishes really give you a headache too. I really am quite drawn to the Aston Martin Racing Green and the Green/Teal on the MB/AMG/Petronas Formula one car, but most of the wraps in that direction really end up being "screaming" colors.

So I found this attached photo of a wrap on a MB roadster which gets pretty close and I would like to get your opinions please.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...58a4f51ab.jpeg
It will look wonderful, it presents the sporty vibe of the R232 very well.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Strongly recommend to see the wrap in the flesh. Pictures can be deceiving.

Seems too cheap as well. Check if they do door jambs. If not, this will look terrible when opening the door on a convertible. showing the selenite gray door with green wrap IMO
The following users liked this post:
drgek (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Strongly recommend to see the wrap in the flesh. Pictures can be deceiving.

Seems too cheap as well. Check if they do door jambs. If not, this will look terrible when opening the door on a convertible. showing the selenite gray door with green wrap IMO
Perhaps it is my phone screen playing tricks but it does look pretty nice viewing OP's picture but I second the advice of seeing it in person.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:30 PM

Please note the ad in the photo is not in US $ and is material only. I checked today with a local installer and I believe the cost will be around $ 5 k. However, for sure I will want to see in person.

it is amazing how many manufacturers there are and I am learning quickly they are not all created equal.
unfortunately the best products do not necessarily have the best colors. I am leaning towards 3 M, but still learning and evaluating.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Please note the ad in the photo is not in US $ and is material only. I checked today with a local installer and I believe the cost will be around $ 5 k. However, for sure I will want to see in person.

it is amazing how many manufacturers there are and I am learning quickly they are not all created equal.
unfortunately the best products do not necessarily have the best colors. I am leaning towards 3 M, but still learning and evaluating.
See if they can provide an accurate sample that you can take outside in different lighting conditions, such as overcast, sunshine, at night with artificial lighting plus in foggy conditions.
California John (05-31-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:34 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 SL 63
Hey man, I'm going to the same thinking.

I think I'll be doing the FlexiShield Pine Green. Aa a cosmetic PPF it'll perform was better and look less cheap than a wrap. Look into it, it's sick!
Old 06-02-2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
See if they can provide an accurate sample that you can take outside in different lighting conditions, such as overcast, sunshine, at night with artificial lighting plus in foggy conditions.
I am constantly amazed how much I do not know. Well, this week has been all about learning about Vinyl wraps and PPF's.
I have met/talked with the leading vinyl and ppl installers in the DMV and I feel pretty good about my level of information.

Net, net - the reason for wanting to change colors was not that I hated Selenite Grey6, quite the opposite is true. However, my last two cars before - a Ferrari 458 Coupe and my AMG GTS were all in the identical or similar color and I think I just got tired of sameness.

So, here is my take on Vinyl wraps. They are generally good for three years and removing them is not tough for professionals, however, there is a better than average chance that after the vinyl is removed that there is adhesive residue on the paint that needs to be removed in a separate and time consuming process.
And of course removing vinyl is not free but will probably add about $ 2k.

There are lots and lots of products, many made in China which apparently are quite challenging with the adhesive being used and significant fading issues.
There is also no doubt that many vinyls have a distinct "film" look to it, are glossy beyond reason or are simply screaming. To be clear there are lots of high quality products made in Europe and the USA with great colors which would look fabulous on this car.
However, the biggest obstacle for me - personally- is that wrap stops at the outside of the door. So when you open the car doors you plainly will see that this is just a wrap. Yes, of course if you are willing to set no limits you can wrap the inside of the door, the thresholds etc. However, that will require the removal of the door and I would be very concerned allowing a vinyl installer to mess with the electrics/electronics embedded in a door these days.
Net, net - I really do not want all those negatives for what very well may be a temporary emotion about the color of my car.

So, change of plans ---- I am going to go with a high quality XPEL ppt for the entire front and the rockers and do a Ceramic Coating for the rest of the vehicle.

The good news -- I have gained a lot of knowledge I did not have at the beginning of the week.
js_cls (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

I am constantly amazed how much I do not know. Well, this week has been all about learning about Vinyl wraps and PPF's.
I have met/talked with the leading vinyl and ppl installers in the DMV and I feel pretty good about my level of information.

Net, net - the reason for wanting to change colors was not that I hated Selenite Grey6, quite the opposite is true. However, my last two cars before - a Ferrari 458 Coupe and my AMG GTS were all in the identical or similar color and I think I just got tired of sameness.

So, here is my take on Vinyl wraps. They are generally good for three years and removing them is not tough for professionals, however, there is a better than average chance that after the vinyl is removed that there is adhesive residue on the paint that needs to be removed in a separate and time consuming process.
And of course removing vinyl is not free but will probably add about $ 2k.

There are lots and lots of products, many made in China which apparently are quite challenging with the adhesive being used and significant fading issues.
There is also no doubt that many vinyls have a distinct "film" look to it, are glossy beyond reason or are simply screaming. To be clear there are lots of high quality products made in Europe and the USA with great colors which would look fabulous on this car.
However, the biggest obstacle for me - personally- is that wrap stops at the outside of the door. So when you open the car doors you plainly will see that this is just a wrap. Yes, of course if you are willing to set no limits you can wrap the inside of the door, the thresholds etc. However, that will require the removal of the door and I would be very concerned allowing a vinyl installer to mess with the electrics/electronics embedded in a door these days.
Net, net - I really do not want all those negatives for what very well may be a temporary emotion about the color of my car.

So, change of plans ---- I am going to go with a high quality XPEL ppt for the entire front and the rockers and do a Ceramic Coating for the rest of the vehicle.

The good news -- I have gained a lot of knowledge I did not have at the beginning of the week.
That is some great knowledge and I appreciate that you decided to share the knowledge with us forum members, thank you.
jjj benz (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:05 PM
wem

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S

My original plan with my 232 SL55 was to have the XPEL ppf installed on the front portion of the car. However, when I took delivery of the car, I discovered that with the pop out doors and the shape of the doors, my wife's ring would easily scratch the door above the the handle. I bit the bullet and had the entire car covered with Xpel ppf. I had ceramic coating applied on top of the ppf, but to be honest I have never found the ceramic coating to do much. This is the second car that I had ceramic coating on top of ppf (the other car was an Aston Martin).

Old 06-04-2023, 12:45 PM

Thank you and there’s one other aspect I should have mentioned.

Vinyl wraps are much thinner than PPFs and if they get hit by a pebble they likely will tear and expose the original color below.Ergo, it would make sense to put a ppf over it.

First of all it doubles the initial cost but more important is to consider the difference in life span - 3 years for vinyl,and 10 years for ppf . When it is time to replace the vinyl the ppf has not even reached the halfway point.

of course this only is a consideration for folks who keep their cars for a while.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thank you and there’s one other aspect I should have mentioned.

Vinyl wraps are much thinner than PPFs and if they get hit by a pebble they likely will tear and expose the original color below.Ergo, it would make sense to put a ppf over it.

First of all it doubles the initial cost but more important is to consider the difference in life span - 3 years for vinyl,and 10 years for ppf . When it is time to replace the vinyl the ppf has not even reached the halfway point.

of course this only is a consideration for folks who keep their cars for a while.
This is especially true!
Old 07-09-2023, 01:07 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
This looks emerald green