SL/R232: Beige Microfiber Headliner - Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 10:37 AM
wem

Received 191 Likes on 109 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
Beige Microfiber Headliner - Cleaning

Yesterday, I got caught in a sudden, torrential downpour. Naturally, the top was down and I was traveling too fast to put up the roof. I raised the side windows, and the aerodymanics were pretty good at keeping the interior relatively dry at around 45 mph. I finally found a place to pull over. Although the top took just 15 seconds to close, 10 of those seconds were exposed to the downpour. When I got home, I noticed some black stains/marks on the headliner from my adventure. There wasn't much I could find on-line about cleaning microfiber headliners.

This morning, I decided to try the Resolve Spot and Stain spray I had in the house for cleaning carpets. I left it on for 5 minutes and then went over the treated areas with a slightly damp white cotton towel. 80% of the stains were gone. I did a second treatment on the remaining stains. All but one area were stain free. A third treatment yielded diminishing returns. I switched over to some 91% rubbing alcohol that I had used to clean suede in the past. I blotted the remaining stains with a white paper towel soaked with rubbing alcohol. The remaining stains disappeared.
The following 5 users liked this post by wem:
California John (08-27-2023), drgek (08-27-2023), js_cls (08-27-2023), Streamliner (08-27-2023), van_rider (08-27-2023)